p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

The Nikon DF has been added to the Camera Size Comparison Database:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#495,378

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I bet the IQ of this thing is solid. I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin with a 14-24 mounted to it.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:41 AM
mirandamember
• •
p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Looks remind me of my Olympus OM-1 when I was growing up.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Chad Harwick
• •
p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

This looks just plain awesome! I LOVE all the manual dials

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.15 #5 · p.15 #5 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I worked in that biz way back when. It costs between 15,000 and 300,000 US dollars in 95 terms to set up a line, including the tooling for each brand new piece. The cost does not linearly factor in the part size, nor the shape, but rather how involved the steps and how many parts to a tree etc.
There are probably 40 to 60 brand new parts here.

That is one reason that the cameras of most decades all look and feel similar.

People focus on sensor fabing and that is probably true (I don't know much about it) but a sensor is often sold with a few modifications to many companies or many products. Those little knurled parts are up to now, unique and it would knock your brains for a look if you tried to have one thousand made. Not to mention new setup and assembly steps and jigs, all with they attendant cycle of tool wear and tool modifications that happen for the first few months of a run.

This camera is a loss leader. For sure there will be others spread out over ten years at the minimum. Even if sales are terrible. That is a necessity, and a forgone conclusion.

Penny wise types that moan about 500 dollars extra on something ... should just take their 200 dollar plastic zooms and go play photographer rather than pundit. Because we all know that if it was announced at 2499 they would complaint that it is not at their 2200 dollar budget - so Nikon missed the boat.

It sounds especially ridiculous from those who buy lenses like the new 24 or 35 or 50 noct.

Ever notice that the pro stuff costs over twice as much as the mid line? Ever notice that it always has?

Cheers ...

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.15 #6 · p.15 #6 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Looks like a D600 with a D4 sensor and all the buttons replaced with 'retro' dials. Nothing 'pure' or simple about it really - looks like a PITA to use.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:45 PM
r.gil
• • •
p.15 #7 · p.15 #7 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Hey Pavel
Have you seen the new mirrorless cameras from Fuji or Sony?
Full frame mirrorless is the future of photography and not this monstrosity that Nikon has unveiled just now
Cheers

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:52 PM
jbouchard
• • •
p.15 #8 · p.15 #8 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

This may be my next camera body... I'll run my D700/D300 combo for a couple more years, then when the used Df sells for $1300 (like a D700 does now), I'll bite. Most of my lenses have aperture rings, and I'll use them.

I think the ability to use non-AI lenses will be a hit with people who have a box full of those. That's not me, but some people will be pleased by that. I'm just not sure it's enough people to break even.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.15 #9 · p.15 #9 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

JoshI wrote:
I'm not making any excuses for Nikon. I'm not saying they did right by the Df. I'm not in line to buy one. I am saying that your wish is unrealistic.

If you take the D600 and strip it down to bare bones it doesn't really get much cheaper to manufacture because you're talking about changing the cheap things and keeping the expensive things. The expensive parts, the body, the prism, the mirror box, the shutter, the LCD, the Expeed chip, the control board, the LCD display, etc. are all still there. Removing the AF module, a popup flash, and the
...Show more

Hi Josh,

I beg to differ. And $1000 is in the low end of the range I provided. The point is a full manual D600 body could be made for significantly less than the current D600. Remeber that part of the full manual body includes making it a 1-shutter push = 1 frame camera, so there is no continuos shooting either.

But I don not think it unrealistic to see a full manual camera for significantly less than the $2000 they want for the D600. Maybe the # for the price is not $1000, but $1200 or $1500 (TOPS).

A simpler camera not only has less buttons, less parts, and less demanding design in the mirror/shutter (1 FPS vs. 6 FPS), but less firmware to prgram and less electronics in it. What does remain, gets simpler and less expensive to manufacure. Yes, I see $500 of savings easy ... possibly more. Granted $1000 is pushing the limits. I work in the semiconductor industry and you would be amazed at how much cost you can cut out of something by simplifying it.

The other point I'm making is that this would be a better route that the bastardized frankenstien they made at that crazy price. Or better yet, where is the D400 already.

Nikon has to pull it's head out of it posterior.

Cheers,
Andre

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:43 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.15 #10 · p.15 #10 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Haha Andre, I feel for you. Nikon, where is that D400? It's time NOW.

BTW, I read somewhere that it requires a lot more labor and precission because of all the manual buttons and because it's made in Japan, the labor is much more expensive than in Thailand. Make sense although it may not be $1,000 more expensive.

For some people (e.g. rich hobbyists) though, they are willing to pay for that "made in Japan" and the camera style. Fashion is not cheap For working photographers, functions and price should be the main considerations.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:52 PM
Slug69
• • •
p.15 #11 · p.15 #11 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I think this is the first dslr that my father could use. He would only use JPEG only. With a sensor that is very forgiving. Nikon's JPEGS better be good.

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:30 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.15 #12 · p.15 #12 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I think one of the posters in dpreview said it right:

I recognize I loled it. Kudos for him.

NIKON Interview:

Question: I see this camera uses a 16MP sensor, from the D4, so this must be a flagship sensor too.
Answer: No actually the sensors of the D610 and D800 are much better according to DxO
Q: Ah but this low res must allow this camera to shoot very fast, 10fps or better.
A: No, actually it shoots at 5.5fps slower than our D610
Q: Hmm, but it must have class leading shutter speed, 1/16000
A: No, actually it same as our entry level cameras at 1/4000
Q: Ummm, err, oh yeah, well it must have the flagship AF system right
A: No, actually it has same AF as D5300 and D610, middle of the road
Q: Ah, but it must have old school battery life and run forever out in the wilds
A: No, actually it has a very small battery with below average number of shots
Q: Well it must be very cheap then, cheaper than D610?
A: No, actually it is much dearer.
Q: Ok, then what is the point of this camera?
A: To get old farts to part with a lot of money to relive old time memories.

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:41 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.15 #13 · p.15 #13 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I really wished they had made the new D400 instead of the DF. Not that I want one but then they could stop all of the CRYING

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:00 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.15 #14 · p.15 #14 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

MDoc9523 wrote:
This camera reminds of when Ford tried to remake the Thunderbird in the 50's style.

Sadly they didn't do that very well. The retro Mustang is a killer but the Thunderbird inspired the later models rather than the glory years on 1955 to 1957.

This camera is closer to the Mustang but as has been observed, it won't float everyone's balloon. I'll wait until I can get one in my hands. That grip seems a tad small for my not very big hand.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:03 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.15 #15 · p.15 #15 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

CGrindahl wrote:
Sadly they didn't do that very well. The retro Mustang is a killer but the Thunderbird inspired the later models rather than the glory years on 1955 to 1957.

This camera is closer to the Mustang but as has been observed, it won't float everyone's balloon. I'll wait until I can get one in my hands. That grip seems a tad small for my not very big hand.

It might be just the camera for you Curtis. Then you won't have to worry about getting a factory ring for every pre AI lens. Be careful though, this camera opens up a whole bunch of lenses that you don't already have

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:06 PM
GoranPhoto
• •
p.15 #16 · p.15 #16 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I want to like this camera, I really, really, really do. I keep coming back here hoping to find a post containing some new, juicy peace of information that will make me change my mind. Alas, the opposite keeps happening. Each time I get angrier and angrier at Nikon for duffing this up so badly.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:09 PM
snegron
• • • •
p.15 #17 · p.15 #17 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

The question for me is silver or black? I think I'll go with silver.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:09 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.15 #18 · p.15 #18 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

MDoc9523 wrote:
It might be just the camera for you Curtis. Then you won't have to worry about getting a factory ring for every pre AI lens. Be careful though, this camera opens up a whole bunch of lenses that you don't already have

Except the procedure for setting a pre-AI lens on this camera appears to be a pain in the ass. The camera isn't able to read the aperture directly so setting the lens up in the non-CPU register doesn't solve the problem. You have to set the aperture using the camera controls, then turn the aperture ring to match what you've set up. If you want to change you have to repeat the process. And this is after you've moved the lever to accommodate the lens. It is true there are some pre-AI lenses used on the thread by Samy and Rafael that appear intriguing and it may be worth going to the extra work to try them out. But I believe I'd still prefer to find lenses that accept the Nikon AI conversion kit and buy those that have already been converted.

I know you have the FA, so this new camera must look familiar.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2rMy-KXbtLs/TgPMzVHxPBI/AAAAAAAAJAk/2Drps2koZdA/s1000/35.1.4.FAWith24.2.8.jpg

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/42/883442.png

Mine is still on loan to Matt.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.15 #19 · p.15 #19 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

AaronNegro wrote:
I think one of the posters in dpreview said it right:

I recognize I loled it. Kudos for him.

NIKON Interview:

Question: I see this camera uses a 16MP sensor, from the D4, so this must be a flagship sensor too.
Answer: No actually the sensors of the D610 and D800 are much better according to DxO
Q: Ah but this low res must allow this camera to shoot very fast, 10fps or better.
A: No, actually it shoots at 5.5fps slower than our D610
Q: Hmm, but it must have class leading shutter speed, 1/16000
A: No, actually it same as our entry level cameras at 1/4000
Q:
...Show more

You nailed it perfectly!

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:01 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.15 #20 · p.15 #20 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

snegron wrote:
The question for me is silver or black? I think I'll go with silver.

Silver.

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:19 PM
1       2       3              14      
       16       17       18       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
       16       17       18       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.