Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Help - camera & lens reco for friend to shoot youth h...

vilimo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help - camera & lens reco for friend to shoot youth hockey

Hi, my friend had asked me for help in getting a camera & lens to take photos of his son (ice hockey). His budget is around $2500 for camera and lens. My initial thought for the outfit that fit his budget would be a 7D and used 70-200 f2.8 v1. Then, I started thinking about the T5i and the same lens... Can someone let me know how the T5i AF performance is in this type of situation - i.e. ice rinks? Also, if you do have other recommendation / thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks - victor

Nov 04, 2013 at 02:14 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Help - camera & lens reco for friend to shoot youth hockey

vilimo wrote:
Hi, my friend had asked me for help in getting a camera & lens to take photos of his son (ice hockey). His budget is around $2500 for camera and lens. My initial thought for the outfit that fit his budget would be a 7D and used 70-200 f2.8 v1. Then, I started thinking about the T5i and the same lens... Can someone let me know how the T5i AF performance is in this type of situation - i.e. ice rinks? Also, if you do have other recommendation / thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks - victor

I have shot a ton of youth and high school hockey over the last 10 years. Started with a 10D, migrated through the 30D, 40D, 7D, and now a 1DMkIV.

Rinks here in the Boston area have been upgrading to fluorescent lights, and that's improved things a lot. But it would be rare to find a rink where you can shoot below ISO3200, and that's with all the lights on. Rinks often don't turn all the lights on with the little kids, so that would be even worse.

You don't want a lens slower than f/2.8. This is a case where the body is pretty important too - I'd recommend starting with a 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS, and put the savings towards the best AF body he can afford. I thought the 40D was pretty good, but looking back on those photos after 4 yrs of the 7D, I realize I was getting even fewer keepers than I thought.

I don't now much about the T5i, but I don't think it will have the AF he needs. At this point, if he can afford it, I would not go below the 7D, although I think from what I've read the 70D seems to be even better (from an AF and noise standpoint).

I've found shooting youth hockey has a pretty steep learning curve. Not just the equipment, but he will also need to understand exposure. He won't be able to just turn the dial to Sport mode. If he has to shoot through glass things get trickier still. Post processing skills can make a big difference too.

Mark

Nov 04, 2013 at 02:41 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Help - camera & lens reco for friend to shoot youth hockey

Ditto to almost all that msalvetti stated........

Definitely get the 70-200 2.8 non IS version...should be able to find one around $1000 or less.
Then pic up a 1DMKIII.....average price currently is about $1000 (look for a high serial and low shutter count)

OR....you could consider a 6D refurb....and learn to shoot the "action" at the very moment it happens and not
be a spray and pray shooter. 6D ISO will blow him away and have great options after the events.

Nov 04, 2013 at 02:53 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Help - camera & lens reco for friend to shoot youth hockey

onesickpuppy wrote:
Ditto to almost all that msalvetti stated........

Definitely get the 70-200 2.8 non IS version...should be able to find one around $1000 or less.
Then pic up a 1DMKIII.....average price currently is about $1000 (look for a high serial and low shutter count)

OR....you could consider a 6D refurb....and learn to shoot the "action" at the very moment it happens and not
be a spray and pray shooter. 6D ISO will blow him away and have great options after the events.

Hadn't thought of the 6D - the ISO would be great. I'd be a little worried about the reach, though. It will depend a lot on where he can shoot from (through the glass, bench, penalty box). I shoot from either the bench or the penalty box, and I have already noticed the lesser reach of the MkIV compared to my 7D.

If he shoots through the glass (either at a face off circle or behind the net), he'll be pretty much limited to just what is happening inside the blue line, so reach wouldn't be much of an issue.

Mark

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:04 PM
vilimo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Help - camera & lens reco for friend to shoot youth hockey

Mark, Sickpuppy, thanks so much for your input. I did tell him about the steep learning curve and will help him out whenever I can to show him the ropes (possibly to hang both of us ...).

The reason I was thinking about the T5i is because of the noise. I am shooting with 7D and have to do quite aggressive noise reduction for my son's hockey pics ... The refurb 6D would be a great option... Thanks again for your help / input.

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password