Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · An FM holiday gift?

Robin Usagani
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · An FM holiday gift?

I am in.

Is there a review process? My shot probably wont make it but I will give it a shot.

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:41 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · An FM holiday gift?

For charities, may I suggest Charity Water? They're at: http://www.charitywater.org/

Seen their videos and some of the stories they tell are quite sad.

Then again, they do better production videos and all, so maybe a charity with less production capabilities/better mission.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:19 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · An FM holiday gift?

pette87 wrote:
open to italians too?

Non-Discrimination!

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · An FM holiday gift?

I'm inclined to say just donate straight to the charity of your choice. It's loads more efficient.

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:01 PM
RedWhiteandRed
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · An FM holiday gift?

Andrew Welsh wrote:
I'm inclined to say just donate straight to the charity of your choice. It's loads more efficient.

Agreed - many people might object to the evangelical indoctrination aspects of American church groups masquerading as education and charitable organizations abroad. There is a lot of unfortunate cultural disruption and miseducation and hate propaganda concomitant with these groups.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · An FM holiday gift?

Robin Usagani wrote:
I am in.

Is there a review process? My shot probably wont make it but I will give it a shot.

I think there will have to be based on the interest. Working on spelling that stuff out now.

Nov 06, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · An FM holiday gift?

Andrew Welsh wrote:

I couldn't agree more Andrew! My hope is just to try to do something good that can hopefully be a supplementary (and easy) way to do something or get an alternative Christmas present. I would hope that no one participating views this as their charity contribution. Taking an active part in a charitable organization has been one of the transformative things I've done and I hope everyone will do that both financially and with their time before they ever consider donating an image.

Nov 06, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · An FM holiday gift?

RedWhiteandRed wrote:
Agreed - many people might object to the evangelical indoctrination aspects of American church groups masquerading as education and charitable organizations abroad. There is a lot of unfortunate cultural disruption and miseducation and hate propaganda concomitant with these groups.

Red is back!! Good to see you here.

I agree that there's lots of non-profits who are less than honest in their dealings. Heck, some of the most prominent breast cancer charities have astronomical administrative costs and some do very little to help their causes.

While I can't speak specifically to the organizations you might be talking about, I would consider myself relatively well-informed on non-profits. This is one of the most efficient and transformative organizations I've ever seen or heard of. If you're curious, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to share some of their statistics and accountability with you. Having been there I can not only vouch for their integrity but for the hundreds of children who go to school and eat every day in the middle of a slum where most kids do neither. Even though faith-based organizations are essentially the norm in Kenya, this one is exemplary regardless of any religious affiliation.

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:06 AM
nolaguy
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · An FM holiday gift?

Great idea Tony. Thanks for being willing to do the heavy lifting.

canerino wrote:
One more thought. Perhaps this can spread to other forums? There is some great talent out there on FM and having a variety of photography might broaden the appeal of the project thus generating more income.

Tony Hoffer wrote:
That's my goal, but with FM being my 'home' I thought this was a great place to start.

I think Chuck may have been suggesting other boards on FM (People, Landscape, etc), not other (non-FM) forums.

Also, I may have missed it but I don't think there's been any commentary regarding legal and tax issues. I'm sure you know more about those sorts of things than I do but for clarity's sake, I'm supposing we should all be aware that this fundraising effort is informal - i.e. you're not setting up a legal entity with not-for-profit status qualifying for charitable tax deductions, and so on... ?... similarly so regarding purchases of the images?

It just may be worth clarifying.

Again, this is a great and noble idea. Thanks for the goodness,

Chuck

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:40 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · An FM holiday gift?

nolaguy wrote:
Great idea Tony. Thanks for being willing to do the heavy lifting.

I think Chuck may have been suggesting other boards on FM (People, Landscape, etc), not other (non-FM) forums.

Also, I may have missed it but I don't think there's been any commentary regarding legal and tax issues. I'm sure you know more about those sorts of things than I do but for clarity's sake, I'm supposing we should all be aware that this fundraising effort is informal - i.e. you're not setting up a legal entity with not-for-profit status qualifying for charitable tax deductions, and so on... ?... similarly so
...Show more

I'll be talking with my accountant today to work out the best way to do this. I'm hoping to avoid setting up a non-profit because of the work involved with something like that. I've seen people go through it and it's very complicated. Since none of the money is being kept and I'm paying all the admin costs myself, it will most likely be informal. With that said, I plan to have 1 or 2 people who agree to look through the financials for the sake of accountability as well as to post the financial statistics onto a FB page each month to keep it all transparent.

Nov 06, 2013 at 01:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · An FM holiday gift?

UPDATE:

Thanks to all of your interest (and a website donation from the great Rawfolio!) we've made a website where you all can donate images and we can collectively try to sell them. Hopefully we sell lots of them and do something good for people! It's open as of right now!

Here's the website if you'd like to check it out or submit: http://thegivinggallery.com

If you're interested, here's our Facebook page as well: http://facebook.com/thegivinggallery1.

Thanks again folks for making this happen! I didn't know this would be so much work, but hopefully it's worth it!

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:55 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · An FM holiday gift?

Great to hear back, was just thinking about this yesterday Tony. Thanks for all the hard work. I'm getting a Database Error at present however when trying to visit the site.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:03 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · An FM holiday gift?

Ah! Success now!

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · An FM holiday gift?

nice! looks great.. did I miss the window to submit something?

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:19 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · An FM holiday gift?

looks great! I hope it is a great success

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:39 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · An FM holiday gift?

Jeff, nope. We're just getting started... Hopefully this will go for a long time!

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM
kbelgrave
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · An FM holiday gift?

This is turning out to be WAY more than an "FM holiday gift"! I'm so impressed with how quickly this went from idea to inception, especially seeing how much work has gone into it. Very well done - I'm sure it will be a resounding success!

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:01 AM
nolaguy
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · An FM holiday gift?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Thanks again folks for making this happen! I didn't know this would be so much work, but hopefully it's worth it!

Tony, God bless …and I realized immediately how much work you were in for. When the thread went silent for a couple of weeks I thought it might have become a little much – and nothing but admiration and respect toward you even if it had.

Deep inside, I knew better.

True to form and no doubt true to the sustenance your wife, family and spirituality you carry with you, here it is, all unfolding.

Lovely and bravo.

To the few naysayers/critics/re-directors, please be still.

Under the auspices of Tony’s intellect and heart, energy and imprimatur, something good is unfolding here. And in its generosity and cleverness, it costs only Tony. The price of admission for us to join is nothing but kindness of heart and well wishes for a successful effort. What a shame if any of us can’t afford that.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:24 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · An FM holiday gift?

Site looks great Tony.

Well done to everyone involved!

Hopefully it can help change lives of these children for the better.

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:01 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password