Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinkin...

tr1957
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

In the realm of annoying bad decisions, Canon made a little bit of a control layout change from the 60D to the 70D. The space where the 60D image review button was located is now used for the DELETE button on the 70D! Not sure why someone at Canon thought this would be a good idea, but it was a major pain on the first day of using the new camera (seemed like I had to cancel out of deleting an image what felt like 50 times).

Edited on Nov 04, 2013 at 02:13 PM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:58 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

Every camera they make has a slightly different layout?

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:11 AM
Scott T
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

They've done the same thing with the other body line upgrades, why they move buttons and change the minor controls for no apparent benefit is beyond me. The zoom/magnifying feature comes to mind on the 5d3.

I was at the local photo shop a couple years ago when the Canon rep was there and pointed out the same change with the old and new models side by side, (I think it was the exact same thing with the 5d->5d2, the play button on the bottom left became the delete button) he said that "Canon does lots of market research and hires the brightest engineers, so he was sure they had a good reason". Er, sure. Guess annoying repeat customers was not in the equation. I would buy a 70D or SL1 as a travel cam if it didn't have different controls from the 7D or 5d3 (which are just different enough to be annoying...but at least they're close)

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:22 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

I use a half dozen different cameras and they all have different controls. The EOS designs are very similar so it's only a matter of a few days of practice before the layout is memorized and intuitive. What's a lot harder adjustment is to use a another brand. It took me months of practice to be fast and intuitive with my Oly E-P3. One day of befuddlement to learn a new button or two is nuttin' and par for the course for any new EOS model. The 6D/60D/70D gotcha for me is the QCD and tiny control pad in the center of the QCD. No problem finding it quickly but it's too small for my fingertips.

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

tr1957 wrote:
In the realm of annoying bad decisions, Canon made a little bit of a control layout change from the 60D to the 70D. The space where the 60D image review button was located is now used for the DELETE button on the 70D! Not sure why someone at Canon thought this would be a good idea, but it was a major pain on the first day of using the new camera (seemed like I had to cancel out of deleting an image what felt like 50 times).

your talking about the 70D and yet your title says the 700D .
you may want to edit

Nov 04, 2013 at 12:11 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

Scott T wrote:
They've done the same thing with the other body line upgrades, why they move buttons and change the minor controls for no apparent benefit is beyond me. The zoom/magnifying feature comes to mind on the 5d3.)

Yes, that one is my pet peeve too. Perhaps they've heard this feedback, because the 70D restores the use of the "classic" zoom buttons.

On the positive side, cameras with the "new" zoom layout (5D3, 6D, etc.) can be programmed to show the image immediately at 100% when you press the magnify button. It's a legitimate 100% view--so you can really see what's going on (unlike my 1D4 or 5D2 where even at max zoom you can't really see what's happening). I've even done quick MFA calibrations this way.

Nov 04, 2013 at 12:28 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

The older Canon bodies produce RAW files with only a 1024x1536 jpeg so you can't zoom in very much. I don't know when the change to full native resolution occurred.

EBH

Nov 04, 2013 at 12:44 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

EB-1 wrote:
The older Canon bodies produce RAW files with only a 1024x1536 jpeg so you can't zoom in very much. I don't know when the change to full native resolution occurred.

EBH

That changed actually occurred quite some time ago, if I recall, maybe as far back as the 1DsIII and 5DC. You can use certain tools such as BreezeBrowser to extract the JPEGs, and I'm sure I've been able to get full resolution JPEGs out of cameras made in the last 6-7 years.

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

garyvot wrote:
That changed actually occurred quite some time ago, if I recall, maybe as far back as the 1DsIII and 5DC. You can use certain tools such as BreezeBrowser to extract the JPEGs, and I'm sure I've been able to get full resolution JPEGs out of cameras made in the last 6-7 years.

im not sure its as far back as the 5dc .
im pretty sure it was when canon went to the higher res screen (ie around the 50D) . im pretty sure my 40d produces lower res Jpegs but the 50D I had for a while was full res . I know my 7D produces 18mp jpegs as ive been stripping those (for the ipad) for quite some time using IJFR (which seems to have stopped working on my mac at the moment or I would check back thru my .cr2 files from my previous bodies )

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:48 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #10 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

I am HAPPY with that change! It now matches my 6D, even though I don't have one, i plan on getting one before too long and now it matches the 6D

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #11 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

Scott T wrote:
They've done the same thing with the other body line upgrades, why they move buttons and change the minor controls for no apparent benefit is beyond me. The zoom/magnifying feature comes to mind on the 5d3.

That's the thing that I dislike the most about the new button design. They do this for both 5D3 and 6D, which I have both. When I start getting used to it, they switch back to the same design in the 70D. What the heck?

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:33 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

It's only really a little bit of a hassle when you have old and new style button layout on your different cameras and often switch between them. Otherwise it doesn't take long to get used to the new layout.

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:52 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

This type of stuff is by design. It's so you feel the need to replace all your cameras, not just add one to the roster.

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:35 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

garyvot wrote:

My 1Ds IIIs had an intermediate JPEG and then the 50D was full res.

EBH

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:09 AM
digitalride

p.1 #15 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

I really love the placement of the playback button on the 70D much better, it is much less awkward for me to hit. I kept hitting delete the first day after I got it but it hasn't been a problem since. I sold my 60D but if I was going to keep it that would be really annoying.

I just wish there was a way to make it so you could start zooming in on an image right away during the 2/4 second preview without having to hit playback first. With magic lantern on the 60D you could have it go immediately into playback mode after every shot. However there was some downside to it, I forget what, maybe something having to do with live view mode, that made me turn that feature off.

And not being able to quickly zoom to 100% like the 6D (or 60D with magic lantern) is really frustrating, of course they probably reserved that capability for the 7D2 to encourage upgrading. I just hope magic lantern for the 70D is coming soon.

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #16 · Bad layout design choice for 70D - what was Canon thinking???

It's because modern-day, people have started to skip upgrading every new model release. So new models are aimed more at new users than people upgrading from the last model. Backwards compatibility or just 'having a familiar feel' is no longer important as it once was.

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password