Nov 04, 2013 at 01:35 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Panther Cascade

Jeff Higgins wrote:
Great shot!

Was it cold?

Thank you! Yeah a bit. But I wear waders when doing such a thing.

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:38 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Panther Cascade

Mark Metternich wrote:
Yes, the camera was actually slightly touching the water here, but I did do a perspective blend (hard to explain that) changing the angle of the foreground a little. I do regularly drench my cameras pretty good and have had fairly decent luck, although I do not in any way recommend it!!!!! I have had to send them back to Canon at least several times and once it cost me over a grand to fix one of my cameras. But generally I try my best to keep them somewhat dry but often you almost cant like in the raining/spray
...Show more

Yeah, after my D700 went swiimming in the ocean I decided from then on I would buy the 3 year Accident insurance when I buy any new gear. Usually it's an extra $200 or so, but it's well worth it, especially for those of us who shoot around water a lot.

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:45 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Panther Cascade

Nice shot Mark...I like the perspective of the falls that you were able to get. I tried getting there last month, in the amount of time I did have that day, but did a wrong turn on one of the forest service roads and ended up elsewhere. I'll just have to make another trip.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Panther Cascade

JimFox wrote:
Yeah, after my D700 went swiimming in the ocean I decided from then on I would buy the 3 year Accident insurance when I buy any new gear. Usually it's an extra $200 or so, but it's well worth it, especially for those of us who shoot around water a lot.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to do it this year! Sorry about your camera!

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:43 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Panther Cascade

I always enjoy seeing you push the limits. I would never have the balls to put my camera in that much danger. Great perspective by the way, I feel you on that tree too.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:04 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Panther Cascade

nice shot

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:58 PM
MajeedB
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Panther Cascade

Mark, I've been looking at this shot on and off for two days. Gotta say it's my favorite from here by a mile. Very well done, and way to commit for the shot. What stands out is the FG to BG crispness.

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Panther Cascade

nice angle. I have a shot from this exact angle, but in early spring

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Panther Cascade

boingyman wrote:
I always enjoy seeing you push the limits. I would never have the balls to put my camera in that much danger. Great perspective by the way, I feel you on that tree too.

Thank you so much!

I have to. You have to be slightly ambitious to make any kind of living at this!

MajeedB wrote:
Mark, I've been looking at this shot on and off for two days. Gotta say it's my favorite from here by a mile. Very well done, and way to commit for the shot. What stands out is the FG to BG crispness.

A huge thank you!

The crispness is due to two main factors:

1. Shutter speed chosen (I shot every conceivable speed here and went through them in post production and chose this image specifically for the water texture).

Then:

2. Advanced web sharpening.

I am finishing up a video tutorial on Ultimate Web Sharpening and actually am using this very image in the video to teach people how to get the ultimate crispness in an image. I can tell you confidently, it is not the camera/lens combination for web shots. Even if I shot this with an inferior camera like my old, old, old 20D and maybe a cheap Tamron lens and maybe even soft f22, I still could have gotten this web crispness.

Now PRINT sharpness, that is a totally different matter and the opposite is true there.

Dustin Gent wrote:
nice angle. I have a shot from this exact angle, but in early spring

Thanks man. I am sure you do man. You go everywhere!

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Panther Cascade

ScottHM wrote:
Nice shot Mark...I like the perspective of the falls that you were able to get. I tried getting there last month, in the amount of time I did have that day, but did a wrong turn on one of the forest service roads and ended up elsewhere. I'll just have to make another trip.

Very easy to do for sure. Yes, make a bunch! I'll be out here all spring again either leading tours or shooting. It is a blast.

Nov 07, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Panther Cascade

boingyman wrote:

Thank you. New idea: camera insurance! This will be the first year I go with it. I'm behind the ball on that.

Nov 13, 2013 at 02:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.