Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

DGC1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

I'm looking for a gift for my daughter in law for her Canon Rebel. I know Tokina makes great UWA lenses but I know nothing of their macros. I hear good things about Sigma macros. Looking at a budget of $500.00. Opinions please!!

Nov 03, 2013 at 08:05 PM
hahr
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

Does she have a tripod, remote shutter release, macro ring light (or at least a speedlite and off-camera cord), and experience shooting macro?

A Canon 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro might be a good place to start if she's just getting into it. It has near zero distortion, gives an 80mm field of view on a 1.6x crop body, and is an inexpensive way into macro. The only negatives are the focusing motor since it sounds like a miniature piece of robotics from the 1980s.

That splits your budget in half and leaves room for lighting and/or a support system if necessary. An extension tube can be used to get closer and can be found inexpensively third-party.

Edited on Nov 03, 2013 at 10:21 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

I'd never recommend a 50mm lens as a macro, too little working distance for insects in general, large FOV for including background clutter, I tend to think of them as a slow 50mm prime that just happens to focus closer, which can be nice for the odd occasion, but not a real macro and it only does 0.5:1. At a minimum I'd get the Canon 60 f/2.8 which is 1:1, and has more working distance, much faster AF and likeall macro lenses has very low distortion as they were designed for flat field reproduction from the outset

Personally I'd look into a 90-100mm macro. You can't really go wrong with any of them, but the Tamron 90 f/2.8 is a gem and would easily fit in your budget if you get the one without VC. Tamron also have a 60 f/2 which is the fastest macro lens around and makes it a nice lens for other activities such as portraits. Sigma also make a 70 and 105 f/2.8 which are nice.

Edited on Nov 03, 2013 at 10:55 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2013 at 09:56 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

I agree, the EF-S 60/2.8 macro is an awesome lens -- equiv to 96mm on the crop sensor. It is actually slightly over life-size reproduction.

I also like the 50/2.5 macro, not a "true" macro, but a great close-focus lens at 1:2 magnification on FF and a little more on crop.

The 60 can be had new for well under $500, and used for $350+. The 50 can be found used for near $200, making it one of the greatest bargains in Canon high quality imaging.

Nov 03, 2013 at 10:49 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

I also agree with the 90-100mm range. There are really no bad macro lenses. I'd look a FL, price and availability to make the decision. I have had both the Sigma 105mm and the Tamron 90mm, either were good lenses and very sharp.

If you would like to read some reviews - photozone -
http://www.photozone.de/
is a good place to start.

Nov 03, 2013 at 10:52 PM
johnctharp
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

Might want to determine what the use for a macro lens would be.

If the intended subjects need near 1:1 magnification, and no other 'macro' equipment is available, getting a lens with IS/OS/VC will help quite a bit, especially given the smaller pixels on a crop sensor.

And as stated above, for 1:1 work, try to lean more toward 100mm on a crop. I've certainly seen the appeal for Sigma's 150/2.8 OS Macro after switching to FF, as my 100L's working distance can be limiting outside of studio settings.

Nov 03, 2013 at 10:55 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #7 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

Your replies are all appreciated but no one has yet commented on what I was asking about. Sigma vs Tokina. Any one care to comment on these two brands specifically?

Nov 03, 2013 at 11:02 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

Check the reviews. Typically, Tokina has a very solid build.

Nov 03, 2013 at 11:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

Have you considered a Tamron SP 90/2.8 Macro? It's very nice.

Nov 04, 2013 at 12:06 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #10 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

Tamron 90mm all the way. Better than the comparable Tokina which was good. The sigmas are not good in my op. Unless you get the more $$ 150 OS.

Nov 04, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

DGC1 wrote:
Your replies are all appreciated but no one has yet commented on what I was asking about. Sigma vs Tokina. Any one care to comment on these two brands specifically?

I think the brand differences are less meaningful than finding the desired lens characteristics first. What FL and aperture do you need? How well implemented is AF/MF changeover and how well does it AF and MF? What is the effective FL at minimum distance?

In any event, one is often better off buying a used or older model on a limited budget. I'd suggest the non-IS Canon 100/2.8. However, if the macro is for large works then the shorter focal lengths are fine. A problem is that many users get a macro and find that it does not have enough reach and high magnifications. It is worse nowadays with the IF lenses which have substantially shorter FL at MFD.

EBH

Nov 04, 2013 at 12:35 AM
fsiagian
• • •
p.1 #12 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

+1 Tamron 90mm.

Nov 04, 2013 at 12:50 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #13 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

The canon 100m macro might actually be the best option now that I think about it. The Tamron is great but the external focusing barrel is a tad annoying.

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:26 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #14 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

I am seeing Canon 100 f2.8 macros on the used board for $400-ish...

No personal experience, but everything I have read says you pretty much cannot go wrong with any of the 90-105mm range macros from any of the mfgs.

Cheers,
paul

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

No experience with the Tokina but the old Sigma 105mm turned me off: very slow and hesitant AF, and MF ring was stiff and scratchy. I liked the Tamron 60/2 though the motor in it is still not USM/HSM good. Maybe the Canon 100 is still the best option after all.

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:34 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #16 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

Instead of a general Sigma vs Tokina, which two lenses did you have in mind? There are both gems and trash from both brands. Sigma has greatly increased quality/value lately. Tokina AT-X have traditionally been exceptional. But they both have had their issues.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

DGC1 wrote:

We sort of have, in recommending other choices. Nothing wrong per se with the Tokina macros, always built well, but much more of us have used, Canon, Tamron, Sigma for macro. Tamron 90 has a cult following and hard to ignore. If it were a bit cheaper I'd also wholeheartedly recommend the Canon 100 f/2.8L IS macro, damn good lens, macro or normal.

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:46 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #18 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

DGC1 wrote:
I'm looking for a gift for my daughter in law for her Canon Rebel. I know Tokina makes great UWA lenses but I know nothing of their macros. I hear good things about Sigma macros. Looking at a budget of $500.00. Opinions please!!

Hi DGC1,

Be sure to test drive either the Sigma 105mm or 150mm before making your final decision...a fiend of mine turned me onto his 105mm and I was duly impressed with its sharpness, AF accuracy and IQ, I test drove a 150mm downtown at B&H and then scored one off the boards for some savings...it's also ridiculously sharp, swift focusing and has great IQ. I'm not a big fan of OS for macro, seeing how I like to prop myself for my subjects, so you might wish to consider one of the great bargains to be found on the non-OS versions of either of these lenses! My 150mm is non-OS.

I "finance the arts" through my daughter, as well... ...best of luck with your shopping!

Jimmy G

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

I have the Sigma 150 and had the Sigma 105. The 150 is a gem of a lens. The old 105 was optically good, but lacked HSM and was not internal focus. The new 105 has OS, HSM and internal focus and would definitely be worth looking at.

Nov 06, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #20 · Macro Lens:Sigma vs Tokina

I owned a Tokina 100mm Macro for a year or so... it was a nice sharp lens although a bit heavy. The AF motor was quite loud.... Ultimately, I got rid of it because I needed something a little longer in focal length and ended up picking up a Sigma 150 OS, which is, as Pixel Perfect already mentioned above, truly a gem!

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password