FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

Hi.

I recently went to the PDN Photo Plus Expo in NYC and one camera the really impressed me was the Sony RX-10.

I am a Canon DSLR user (1DS3 and 5D3) but also have a Nikon V1 and Medium Format Digital Gear. I mostly do advertising and commercial work (I make a living as a photographer) and do a lot of personal Landscape Photography to sell as prints. I also do a bit of Unit Stills Photography on movie sets and commercials.

The RX-10 as a unit is really amazing package since it has a 24-200mm (equivalent) f2.8 IS lens.

I also really liked the shutter. As far as I could tell it has an electronic shutter and is completely silent. That makes this camera a great tool to use during filming whenever sound is being recorded.

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Julio Marcos
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

I'm pretty interested as well - have not seen it in person, but looks like a great package to complement the RX1 I have (both to be used for travel and family, including some action photography).
The aperture ring, similar to the RX1, looks even better placed. Video capabilities appear fantastic too - maybe that will push me to explore video composition and editing, although I do need to upgrade my computer (which I was going to do anyway).

Nov 03, 2013 at 02:15 PM
ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

I like it, too, on paper.
Not sure how about the manual zoom works... I guess is by wire, so not so sexy to me. BTW, an appealing toy, for sure.

Nov 03, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

I used it on the show. It is an electronic power zoom obviously but feels nice. The aperture ring feels great. I could not put a card in the camera so I could not check out image quality but what I was seeing on the screen looked good. Should be at least on par with the RX100II or better because of the nicer lens.

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:19 PM
ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

Good news, thanks!

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:27 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

Shutter lag?
This is the biggest issue for me with smaller sensors cams.

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:42 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

Hi sneakyracer, etal,

While impressed that Sony would release a jumbo P&S bridge camera I find myself less than impressed with the fact that they left so much out of the camera's functionality. 1080P or i only?

"Video Mode : AVCHD: 28M PS (1920 x 1080, 60p) 24M FX (1920 x 1080, 60i) 17M FH (1920 x 1080, 60i) 24M FX (1920 x 1080, 24p) 17M FH (1920 x 1080, 24p) MP4: 12M (1440 x 1080, 30 fps) 3M VGA (640 x 480, 30 fps)
Color Space : sRGB, AdobeRGB, xvYCC standard (x.v.Color™ when connected via HDMI® cable) compatible with TRILUMINOS™ color"

...from here...

DSC-RX10 Digital Still Camera - All Cyber-shot Cameras Sony Store - Sony US:
http://store.sony.com/dsc-rx10-digital-still-camera-zid27-DSCRX10/B/cat-27-catid-All-Cyber-shot-Cameras#

...C'mon, Sony, it's 2013, where's 720P 60 fps or even 120 fps. Heck, I'll take 120 or 240 fps at 720P. And no RAW video or even ProRes or DNxHD out? And no intervalometer? Look, we're a varied bunch of photographers here...sports, nature, wildlife, events, etc., why limit the usefulness of a camera like this to just snappers and video dabblers?

And, it's not like they couldn't deliver all that, and more...

Surprise! New Sony RX10 sensor has 5K full pixel readout » EOSHD.com:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/11337/surprise-new-sony-rx10-sensor-full-pixel-readout-5k-raw-video-output

...it's just that they decided that they wouldn't. AVCHD, oofah.

What they could have turned into the "killer app" of cameras, they decided to deliver just another "plain vanilla app" camera. A step in the right direction that should have been a leap. Well, IMHO. Oh yeah, if you're gonna build a bridge camera that big why not just go whole hog and slap on a 24-300 or 400mm lens, oh say, f/2.8-4?

Sigh,
Jimmy G

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:35 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

Seems the lens is a fine piece, data are up over at Image Resource, here is a comment:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/rx10/sony-rx10A7.HTM

'you can download the pictures with NR off. I've done this with the RX10 and a bunch of other cameras and all I can say is wow! At that focal length and aperture, the lens on the RX10 is a stunner. I cannot find anything that resolves better over the whole frame. The RX1 (people rave about it's lens) may be marginally better in the center, but the RX10 kicks it in the corners. The RX10 lens is incredible.'

Even allowing for hyperbole, sounds good. Maybe another hit by Sony's master designer.

Nov 06, 2013 at 05:37 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

Performance looks pretty good, but the fact its 1) $1299 for a 1" sensor bridge cam and 2) as big if not bigger than some m4/3 and APS-C are tough issues to get over, at least for me.

It is kind of an odd focal length range too, not really a superzoom, and while yeah its nice its f2.8, what do you really shoot at 200mm equiv f2.8 on a 1" sensor ?

200mm is pretty short for wildlife or the zoo or sports....

It could be a decent portrait range, but f2.8 on a 1" sensor really isn't giving that much isolation.....especially for $1300

Good range for landscapes too, but then why really make the camera as big as an entry level DSLR to make it f2.8 when you'd be stopping it down anyways ?

I've got the 30-110, which is equiv to 80-300mm on my Nikon V1, which uses a 1" sensor and that lens is pocket sized, while still having VR, even though its much slower.

I think Sony would have done better making a bit slower lens with a wider range, maybe 400-500mm. Make it a true large sensor superzoom bridge camera, what the FZ200 really should of been.

Nov 06, 2013 at 05:50 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

I was one of those who said RX-100 sensor deserve better lens, I don't like corner smearing. The RX-10 lens looks good on paper, but I'm not sure if it's a better lens.

24-200 cover >90% of travel needs (unless there are wildlife). 2.8 is good for indoor use.

The price tag is a problem to me...I think I'd rather spend more for a 2 lens mirrorless kit (those new E mount f4 lens)

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:42 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

millsart wrote:
It could be a decent portrait range, but f2.8 on a 1" sensor really isn't giving that much isolation.....especially for $1300

Isn't the depth of field at 200mm f/2.8 for a subject at 20 feet something like 1 foot, even on a 1" sensor? Also, having f/2.8 is a big help in lower light, especially on a smaller sensor. This seems like a great travel or street camera to me, or perhaps also a small and light camera for backpacking.

Sure, there's competition from m4/3 above, but I'm not sure you could get a combo quite this size with an EVF, similar focal range, and fast aperture.

The biggest problem the RX10 has is the price tag. If it were around $1k it would be a lot more tempting.

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

I don't think the price is too outrageous. I don't like it but it's not unexpectable. The NEX 16-70/f lens is $1000 on it's own. The finder for the NEXs or RXs isn't cheap either. I'd still expect that pushing another 100-200mm of range on there would either drive the cost higher or the quality lower, and, not do anything to change the questioning of why not go back to a less expensive smaller sensor camera or bite the bullet and pay the price for that kind of range on larger sensor cameras.

I've been trying to decide on a new, smaller, lighter travel kit. This picks up some of the shortcomings (to me) of the RX100s in the long end, adds some to short end and gives me a finder. OTOH, it's clearly not a pocket camera. So do you drop back to the RX or push past this to the NEX and a couple of other lenses?

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:18 AM
miguel_13
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

There is a significant list of things this camera offers that really aren't available from anyone at this price point. Indeed, the in camera codec is meh, however. . .clean, non line skipped, 10 bit 4:2:2, 1080p hdmi out is very very attractive.

Seems to me like the rx10 is aimed squarely at the GH3, the tradeoff seems to be fixed lens for built-in ND, which in practical terms might be worth considering.

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:16 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

philip_pj wrote:
Seems the lens is a fine piece, data are up over at Image Resource, here is a comment:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/rx10/sony-rx10A7.HTM

'you can download the pictures with NR off. I've done this with the RX10 and a bunch of other cameras and all I can say is wow! At that focal length and aperture, the lens on the RX10 is a stunner. I cannot find anything that resolves better over the whole frame. The RX1 (people rave about it's lens) may be marginally better in the center, but the RX10 kicks it in the corners. The RX10 lens is incredible.'

Even allowing for
...Show more

The lens is from Carl Zeiss, not Sony.

Nov 08, 2013 at 02:34 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

itai195 wrote:
Isn't the depth of field at 200mm f/2.8 for a subject at 20 feet something like 1 foot, even on a 1" sensor? Also, having f/2.8 is a big help in lower light, especially on a smaller sensor. This seems like a great travel or street camera to me, or perhaps also a small and light camera for backpacking.

Sure, there's competition from m4/3 above, but I'm not sure you could get a combo quite this size with an EVF, similar focal range, and fast aperture.

The biggest problem the RX10 has is the price tag. If it were around $1k it
...Show more

Remember though its not a 200mm lens, its a 200mm equiv, so in reality we are talking about a 75mm lens f2.8 lens in terms of DoF, even though your getting the FoV of a 200mm lens

Nov 08, 2013 at 07:36 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

rattymouse wrote:
The lens is from Carl Zeiss, not Sony.

Do you say that because it is labeled as Carl Zeiss or because you have some background info?

Nov 08, 2013 at 08:20 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Do you say that because it is labeled as Carl Zeiss or because you have some background info?

+1

My Sony RX100 also says "Carl Zeiss" on it but I don't think it really shares many traits with my ZM Biogon or Plannar's, other than the same name on them.

Nov 08, 2013 at 09:00 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

Anyone playing with this yet?

Nov 27, 2013 at 07:59 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

It seems the video guys are loving this camera, at the same level as the gh3.

Nov 28, 2013 at 03:53 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony RX10, Anyone Interested? I want one

TCSTV RX10 Field Test

Reviews:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-cyber-shot-rx10-review-23331

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=slr_review&no=367

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=5443&news=sony+RX10+image+gallery+fantastic+ultrazoom

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11581/exclusive-review-sony-rx10

Nov 28, 2013 at 04:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.