Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Egrets

mitesh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Egrets

Had a chance to take the kayak out after quite some time. Beautiful morning with great light and light breeze

Your suggestions and constructive criticisms are encouraged and appreciated!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/5.6    1/800s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/5.6    1/800s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Nov 03, 2013 at 08:46 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2013 at 06:25 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Egrets

A top notch set Mitesh!! Good work in managing the whites. First and last are my faves.

Nov 03, 2013 at 06:59 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Egrets

Nicely done Mitesh. It's 2 for me ~ Ron

Nov 03, 2013 at 08:46 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Egrets

Beautiful set Mitesh. 2 and the last are my favorites.

Birdie

Nov 03, 2013 at 08:56 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Egrets

Sweet set Mitesh, well done. Really tough to pick a favourite, so I won't
David

Nov 03, 2013 at 10:10 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Egrets

Great composition in all Mitesh. The first seems a touch over exposed, the others are spot on. I feel you can get more feather detail. If you use Photoshop look into Linear Burn and/or use the clarity slider in ACR.

Morris

Nov 03, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Egrets

Mitesh;

Excellent captures...watch your exposures.

Ted

Nov 04, 2013 at 12:58 AM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Egrets

A lovely set
Love the last one!!!
BeeBalm

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:27 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Egrets

hey hey hey! Very nice!
I agree that you could use a bit more detail on the feathers, maybe you can still recover some of the highlights. Only thing harder than an all white bird is one that's black and white.
where did you kayak?
Now, how do you manage the 800mm in such a tiny vessel?

David

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Egrets

Thanks for the comments, everyone- especially their that offered some suggestions.

Morris, I did use +10 clarity on these, but I will go back and try more to see if it helps.

Ted, yeah, I feel like these were all a touch hot. I was checking histograms as I shot, and I wasn't blowing out the highlights, but I still didn't get the feather detail that Morris and David mention. I thought I would be able to coax the detail out in post- maybe I need to keep trying. I bumped up clarity and toned down highlights and whites. Any other ideas?

David, these were taken at Stumpy Lake in VA Beach.

Nov 04, 2013 at 02:17 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Egrets

I found I needed to go a bit below the blinkies. Even if the whites are just barely not blown, you are in a exposure 'zone' that has limited detail. You could use your lcd screen and zoom in a test image to see where adequate detail starts to show well. Bald eagles are tougher - without excellent lighting, you run the risk of blowing the blacks and it becomes a compromise.

How did you manage the 800mm in the kayak? I'd be afraid to dunk my lens.

Nov 04, 2013 at 02:31 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Egrets

dgdg wrote:
I found I needed to go a bit below the blinkies. Even if the whites are just barely not blown, you are in a exposure 'zone' that has limited detail. You could use your lcd screen and zoom in on your subject to see where the detail starts to come in.

How did you manage the 800mm in the kayak? I'd be afraid to dunk my lens.

Thanks, David. When I zoomed in, I could see larger detail was showing up, but I assumed finer detail could be recovered using the sliders in post. I'll have to get back to the computer and try later.

As far as using the 800 in a kayak, it's not bad at all. Ideally, you should use a very stable kayak- such as one that's suitable for stand up fishing. Mine is a Hobie Outbacker. I keep the lens and camera in a big waterproof bag until I'm ready to shoot. Also, my kayak has peddles and rudder so I can keep both hands on the camera and lens. There's no better way to get close than by water. All of the images above except #1 are uncropped. I had to back off several times to frame properly or because I was within MFD.

Nov 04, 2013 at 02:38 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Egrets

#4 for me...nice set.

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Storm300
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Egrets

Mitesh, I love photographing these white waders when I get the opportunity. I've certainly learned through trial and error regarding the whites. Do you photograph in "M" mode or aperture priority? Anymore, when it comes to all white birds when in "A", I'm dialing down my exposure compensation down to -1.7 in many cases, even with spot or center weighted metering. The background is not important, so who cares if it comes out really dark.. in fact you want a really dark bg with all white birds. I love these compos! -Mike

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:52 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Egrets

Storm300 wrote:
Mitesh, I love photographing these white waders when I get the opportunity. I've certainly learned through trial and error regarding the whites. Do you photograph in "M" mode or aperture priority? Anymore, when it comes to all white birds when in "A", I'm dialing down my exposure compensation down to -1.7 in many cases, even with spot or center weighted metering. The background is not important, so who cares if it comes out really dark.. in fact you want a really dark bg with all white birds. I love these compos! -Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts. I shoot in M mode. The in-camera meter was showing under exposure on all of these by varying amounts, as you'd expect. I'll just need to be a bit more careful in the future and let the BG fall a bit darker as you suggest. Thanks again!

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:59 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Egrets

Lovely set Mitesh. Super shots.

Paul.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:35 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Egrets