Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Strap & Holster Failures

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Strap & Holster Failures

There's a current topic here on this forum regarding a specific strap failure and it got me thinking about the various straps and holsters that are available and the different user experiences with them. Specifically, I'm interested in if, how, & when they may have failed...did they simply 'wear-out' after prolonged heavy use or did they fail prematurely and/or without warning?

As for my experiences, I've had a few 'standard' neck straps show some wear at the 'camera lugs' but within what I would call 'normal wear'. My Spider Holsters seem to be holding up extremely well showing with no discernible wear after a couple of years.

Omar

Nov 03, 2013 at 02:44 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Strap & Holster Failures

Anyone? Is it that no one has cared to reply OR that holster & strap failures are a very rare occurrence?

Omar

Nov 12, 2013 at 08:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Strap & Holster Failures

Hi Omar,

I haven't had any failures, but then my straps tend to be pretty simple; Domke Grippers with DIY swivels, based on 400 lb test long-line fishing gear, and small "gear" carabiners. I have replaced straps that get worn out, but not because of a failure. I often put a backup 'safety' thingy at single points of failure. For example, I've attached a photo of the strap connection on my LowePro TL75, which sometimes holds my 1DX + 70-200/2.8L IS II.

Edited on Nov 13, 2013 at 02:12 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2013 at 09:43 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Strap & Holster Failures

Hi Omar,

As with Jim above...

I've not had a single failure, I use Domke gear, I've a very old Domke f2; bought it in 1978 and it is in great shape, visits to the beach, gardens; wet n dry and a few deserts haven't killed it yet. Their newer bags are okay, but some are sub-par.

I use Domke straps as well, match them to body size/weight, Rebels and smaller get a 1", gripped bodies; 40D and 7D; a 5D3 in the future, get 1.5" straps and 1D series bodies get 2". Back in the day a 2" was on my gripped 1V...

As for holsters, a small Lowpro; a bit old; held an EOS3 and 70-300 IS with hood on, it's carried a 40D and 70-200 f4L IS w/hood reversed. Today, for that size and bigger/heavier gear I use a TT Digital Holster 50 v2 and it's killer strong, super well made, can easily manage a 1D2N with a 300 f4L IS and 1.4x T/C...there's even more expansion for a 400 f5.6L if needed

My bags don't get thrown around much tho, since the bags aren't super padded they don't get pummeled like a Pelican case might...I don't abuse them either; just because.

I don't usually skimp on my bags. My 1st bag, well it was very old school leatherette covered beast, quasi stitching didn't last more that a few years, went thru a few 'cheep' bags from 67 to 78, then my Domke F2 arrived, and all is well...even 35yrs later

I have a rather large Tamrac, holds a ton of gear, in the closet...it's material, stitching, is just not heavy duty, not like the old Domke or newer TT bags. Some of the newer LowPro AW bags look nice and get good reviews. My monies with TT until I need better...

Cheers,
Jerry

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

liamtoh1

p.1 #5 · Strap & Holster Failures

I have always used the original strap that was included with a camera purchase (Nikon D70, D800) and Nikon wide nylon strap (Nikon N80, F5). So far no failure issues. Recently I have moved to Op-tech sling strap for my D800 with grip. The build quality of the Op-tech feels very good, but time will tell if it holds up as well as my regular Nikon straps.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:48 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Strap & Holster Failures

If you look at the item in the original thread, it becomes obvious it was used on a kid's swing set when it wasn't used for the camera. The moral of the story is that you must check your gear regularly. If it is starting to show signs of wear, replace it. The OP you pointed to probably drives on tires that have no rubber left, too.

Nov 27, 2013 at 02:58 AM
SteveF
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Strap & Holster Failures

I've had one failure on a shoulder strap.

Put a pro camera / 24-70 onto the ground and off to the repair center.

It was a free strap from Smugmug, which was a rebranded (I think) Lowepro strap.

On the end of the strap was the super strong woven strap material. This went through the camera eyelet and then back through a piece of plastic that provided the friction to hold things in place. I'm not describing this well, but lots of straps have this design.

Anyway, that plastic piece, without warning, suddenly snapped. I was just walking with the camera over my shoulder - nothing stressful.

Turns out it was a widespread defect and Smugmug quickly replaced all the affected straps.

Anyway, I now have, as with the photo above, a redundant piece of string on my straps to try and prevent this in the future.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Strap & Holster Failures

Hi Omar,

Never a failure (yet), although as I've posted here before (with pictures), quite some very long time ago when I had a BR strap RS-7, I think, it did a helluva good job of marring the edge of the rear base plate adjacent to the connector. There have been some more recent posts suggesting this problem has been alleviated, if not completely corrected, and one report as I recall in which the poster got BR to fund the repair. I've since moved to Cotton Carrier for backpacking and hiking, and the $100 SunSniper for around town. HTH

Nov 28, 2013 at 01:23 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password