New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · EOS 6D Error 20, shutter double-clutch

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS 6D Error 20, shutter double-clutch

I have an interesting situation with my five month old 6D. Here's how I described it in an email to CPS Canada.

I have a problem with my EOS 6D. It does a double exposure (at least, a double mirror flip) when it's turned off and when it's turned on. It says "Err 20 An error prevented shooting. Turn the camera off and on again or re-install the battery". I have done these things and it's still the same.

Aside from the double-clutch at power on and power off, it does nothing, except double-clutch when the shutter button is pushed (sometimes it double-clutches twice).

Also, if the camera is turned off and has no battery in it, it double-clutches when you close the battery door, after installing a battery - even when the camera is "off" at the power switch.

I found a couple of online references to Err 20 on the 6D, but nothing as exotic as a shutter double-clutch .

I'll let you know how it turns out...

Nov 03, 2013 at 08:20 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS 6D Error 20, shutter double-clutch

Does it happen with a different lens?

My warranty is going to expire in two months. I'm sure everything will be fine, but I kinda wish I had bought a warranty extention when I had the chance in the first 30 days of purchase.

But it's hardly worth it now, these things are selling for less than $1300 when you look for deals.

Nov 03, 2013 at 10:24 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS 6D Error 20, shutter double-clutch

It happens with different lenses and with no lens. The fact that it happens with the power switch turned off (when you put in a battery and close the door) is the most interesting "feature", IMO.

This is the first time that I've heard of anything like this hapenning, and so I don't think there's anything to worry about. I'm just contributing to group knowledge. Of course, the most valuable information won't be available until I get it back from CPS Canada.

Nov 03, 2013 at 10:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS 6D Error 20, shutter double-clutch

Got it back today. "Service Details: repaired circuit, cleaned sensor, updated firmware, checked up." Works fine. Total cost to me, $0.

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS 6D Error 20, shutter double-clutch

Interesting! When I was having the exposure issues with my first 6D I also had instances of the camera not turning on with the switch but when I put pressure on side compartment door it powered up

Glad you are back in action and updated!
Karl

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:23 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS 6D Error 20, shutter double-clutch

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:29 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS 6D Error 20, shutter double-clutch

"Repaired circuit". That's kind of cryptic.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS 6D Error 20, shutter double-clutch

The views and opinions expressed in this post are soley those of the original poster. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jctriguy.

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
"Repaired circuit". That's kind of cryptic.

Indeed. Company code for, 'Oops, another one of these.'

Nov 14, 2013 at 07:14 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS 6D Error 20, shutter double-clutch

Paul Mo wrote:
Indeed. Company code for, 'Oops, another one of these.'

It's the first time I've heard of the "Double-Clutch Shutter Syndrome". Maybe I should feel proud, having experienced the first instance of this particular "another one of these" situations...

Nov 14, 2013 at 07:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.