New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

niXer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

I am probably going to hear a lot of "You should have known better" but I had to figure it out for myself.

I want to preface this with I'm not saying CarrySpeed is a bad brand. Their straps are actually quite nice, convenient to use and comfortable. The mounting plates are secure and easy to take on and off BUT that being said the way their straps hook up to your camera... yeah they all pretty much failed me.

I shoot a lot. I take my camera with me everywhere I go, in any weather condition. So I am willing to admit it's partly my fault. I don't think they were meant for the abuse I put them through.

I didn't want to spend money on a BlackRapid which is funny since I bounced around many brands from Lowepro to CustomSLR and then finally to CarrySpeed and that all cost me more than just simply buying a BlackRapid.

When I first got the CS-1 MKII I thought I was a genius saving so much money. My D7000 + 70-200mm VRI were mounted to it 80% of the time. When I first got it, it felt perfect!

After just a few months it amounted to this:

See that notch there, yeah that isn't meant to be there. That was what happened from my camera gear swinging at the side. I always use to put some gaffer's tape there to try and prevent it from going all the way through. You can also see the notch in the mounting plate as well.

I didn't learn. The next strap I went to was their FS-1 PRO. I thought this would be different. It actually cost more than the BlackRapid with the added bonus of an Arca-Swiss compatible mounting plate!

The first thing that happened was the screw that held the ball head to the plate, got lose and fell off. Luckily I was sitting and had my camera in my hand when it happened. I was able to find a screw that fit and tighten it back on but it was signs of problems to come.

Fast forward again to last month and boom complete failure:

This time It was my D3 + 70-200mm mounted on it and again LUCKILY I had it in my hand before the ballhead slipped completely out. Had I not had it I would have lost my gear to the gorilla exhibit at the zoo.

So yeah I'm done with CarrySpeed. For smaller, light cameras I doubt they would ever have the same problems I have. Also yeah... I still haven't bought a BlackRapid. I said forget it and went with the simple and basic Kirk Security Strap. It's not as comfortable or convenient but damn is it secure.

Nov 02, 2013 at 12:30 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

Wow, looks like some serious mileage on your gear.

Roger

Nov 02, 2013 at 03:52 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

Bad idea making those parts out of brass.

Nov 02, 2013 at 06:36 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

Parts wear, then you replace them. Do you change the tyres on your car, ever? Or your toothbrush?

I am not meaning to be confrontational, but this gear has been USED. And routine inspections and maintenance is part of owning gear.

Take care,
Paul.

Nov 02, 2013 at 06:53 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

Well I started with a black rapid strap but I modified the mounting after going through the angl that came with the early straps, to the new stud they use now but that was a pain with my Bogen r plates so I went spent the extra to buy their Bogen qr studs to replace the stock ones. Then I went to a dual china strap based on the br dual. It came with pates like yours bu I had gotten tire of using the tripod mounting point and found a old 70's camera strap that had a couple of leather straps about a 1-1 1/2 long that goes where the strap is supposed to mount I put one on each camera and I connect my dual or br straps to these points which leaves my tripod mount open for the qr plates.
I've not seen any wear such as yours.replace your snaps/ hooks and try to find a old straps with the old key ring type snaps and the short straps the use a spilt ring to mount to the oem strap points.

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:37 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

Looks like you got your money out of these.

Nov 02, 2013 at 01:34 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

honestly, I don't understand the concept of saving money on a strap that supports very expensive equipment.

I've had a lot of success with my Black Rapid/Arca rig (I've posted it here a fair bit). It isn't cheap, but not only do I think it addresses all of the likely failure points, but it is far more convenient and easy to use than anything else I've seen.

wp_20130411_002 by e24mpwr, on Flickr

My full write-up/description: http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2011/12/20/black-rapid-arca-solution/

It has been to Asia several times and spent several weeks in Europe, seeing daily use, and of course I use it all the time in my regular weekend-type photography.

Simple, convenient and safe.

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:10 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

dcains wrote:
Bad idea making those parts out of brass.

Not really. Aluminum would have worn away in no time compared to brass, and worn that much would have probably broken. Steel would be stronger, but would rust in high humidity. Stainless steel would not rust but costs a lot more to form and machine.

These parts have worked well for several years and most of us would have replaced them long before the wear reached this point.

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

Looks like Carry Speed is toast for now - slightly outdated news but they are being taken by BR for copyright infringement.

Jan 06, 2014 at 07:39 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

All of these swivels, ball joints, carabiners, for all of these mounting systems...

At least nylon webbing has obvious visual cues before it fails. Of all the things I don't mind complicating, I've decided my carrying system isn't one of them. I prefer to keep it simple - this is the strap that's swinging thousands of dollars worth of gear from my shoulder and I'd rather not have to constantly monitor it.

Jan 06, 2014 at 09:38 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

I carry my 600II, 300II and 100-400 on BR RS7 strap and still don't see any kind of deterioration like what you show here. I agree that everything will show some wear and tear over time and needs to be maintained or replaced but this type of wear is ridiculous and I would be requesting a free replacement from them if they are even in business anymore (are they??).

BR is a much better company and if you use a secondary safety strap like what is shown above then it is faultless. The only issue others have had with BR is the screw coming out of the tripod socket or the clasp opening but really both of those are preventable with inspection while shooting.

Jan 06, 2014 at 10:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

Paul Mo wrote:
Looks like Carry Speed is toast for now - slightly outdated news but they are being taken by BR for copyright infringement.

I consider BR and CS two pretty poor designs to begin with

Jan 06, 2014 at 10:54 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

binary visions wrote:
All of these swivels, ball joints, carabiners, for all of these mounting systems...

At least nylon webbing has obvious visual cues before it fails. Of all the things I don't mind complicating, I've decided my carrying system isn't one of them. I prefer to keep it simple - this is the strap that's swinging thousands of dollars worth of gear from my shoulder and I'd rather not have to constantly monitor it.

and that's why I have what I have

Jan 06, 2014 at 10:55 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

I use plastic ties with my BlackRapid, just in case. 2-3 plastic ties does the trick if (forbid) the metal does break.

Or at least give you slightly more reaction time to grab whatever is on the end!

Jan 06, 2014 at 01:58 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

I've got three of these. Excellent weight distribution; zero risk of scraping paint off the rear lower edge of the bottom plate. http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/the-pro-ii-491.html

Jan 06, 2014 at 02:09 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

Amazing to see something that is being used ends up wearing down. That is ludicrous.

Jan 06, 2014 at 02:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

MazeRunner wrote:
I use plastic ties with my BlackRapid, just in case. 2-3 plastic ties does the trick if (forbid) the metal does break.

Or at least give you slightly more reaction time to grab whatever is on the end!

A pointless exercise that should not be at All necessary.

Edited on Jan 06, 2014 at 09:00 PM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2014 at 06:42 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

^^^^^ +1

Jan 06, 2014 at 07:48 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

To be fair though - it's analogous to camera bags. As in, we have different needs/ways of working/preferences and are searching for systems with which we feel comfortable.

The stocks straps cut it for some. D/iY suits others. Others enjoy slings but fear the single connection point and are dubious about the materials.

If a user feels secure using zip ties, then more power to them.

The design of these is still evolving - it may simply be the case that the ideal solution hasn't been found.

Jan 06, 2014 at 07:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I'm done with CarrySpeed

The point of these sorts of straps is/was to provide a better designed, comfortable, and we assumed
inherently safe modular camera carry system. for the owner to need to provide another level of
security due to previous events showing some very obvious "flaws" in said competing designs/materials
and builds leads me away from most of these products. Sorry the sling concept itself is not the problem
its what some of the makers assume and or cob together as an interface between camera
and strap. there is simplicity and then there is way over "engineered" in the thinking or the
lack there of.

Jan 06, 2014 at 09:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.