Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Lens Upgrade time!

popinvasion
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lens Upgrade time!

The only problem I see is the idea that your investing more money into crop lenses. She may be reaching a point where a 6D makes sense to her. Food for thought.

Nov 02, 2013 at 04:53 PM
dansmail26
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lens Upgrade time!

It's a good point but buying used I think if she does go to ff we won't get killed re-selling the lens. We just bought the 60d in June, she wore out her XSi after 125,000 shutter clicks. Yes, she does enjoy photography!

Nov 02, 2013 at 05:25 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lens Upgrade time!

popinvasion wrote:
The only problem I see is the idea that your investing more money into crop lenses. She may be reaching a point where a 6D makes sense to her. Food for thought.

My answer to this is: Buy the best lens for you, your needs and equipment "Now"...If or when you get the 6D or other FF camera, get the lens for your needs and equipment then...Besides, the investment in the 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens now can most likely be recouped within a reasonable "loss" when the future "upgrade" is considered.

Nov 02, 2013 at 05:37 PM
dansmail26
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lens Upgrade time!

Agreed! I think I am going to try and find a 15-85. I went through a lot of her pictures and she seems to shoot a lot of times in the 60's mm, plus it looks the the 17-55 is about $200 more then the 15-85.
Now should I pay $510 (there's a 20% off sale) for a refurb from Canon or $425+ used.

Nov 02, 2013 at 06:22 PM
dansmail26
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lens Upgrade time!

Thanks all I really appreciate the advice. I wouldn't have thought of buying either the 15-85 or 17-55 without your help. I learned a lot of pro/con's for both of them - ends up I am going to let price decide and lean towards the 15-85 unless a great deal comes up. Her birthday isn't til the 27th, so I will take the advice someone gave and I will be patient!

Nov 02, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lens Upgrade time!

Yes I do it will be really noticeable. For a test rent the lens that you are thinking of getting and one of the ones I suggested and have her shoot with both, then decide which to get.

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:36 AM
dansmail26
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lens Upgrade time!

Michael - I will check into seeing if I can rent the lenses and test, good idea. Your idea of getting the 17-55 is great, I just am not sure since the 15-85 gets such good reports too and it is $200 cheaper. I think she would prefer the 15 or 17 mm over the 24 mm ones you suggested, especially with the crop camera. Due to being disabled I am on a limited budget the $200 matters but my wife helps me so much I do want her happy.

Nov 03, 2013 at 02:58 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lens Upgrade time!

I do understand the money as I'm also disabled and on a fixed income. Do some research on the 17-55 and remember it is a f2.8 and the IS is a three stop IIRC. I'm not familiar with the one your looking at. I would say that the 17-55 would be a L lens if it was not an EF-S lens . Yes it is costly around the price of the 24-105L and 24-70L Mk Ias I've seen it here on the B&W forum.

I thought of selling mine a time or two since I had the 24-70. But been talked out of it every time. Post a vote here which is better and see what the forum has to say about it.

There is a web site that reviews glass and other photo items called DPReview.com. Check and see what their highly through testing reveals.

Nov 03, 2013 at 08:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dansmail26
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lens Upgrade time!

This is a review from the-digital-picture.com on all the lenses. The 17-55 is #1 with the 15-85 being an extremely close 2nd.

1. Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

Best-Available Image Quality, Wide f/2.8 Aperture, Great Autofocus Speed & Accuracy, Image Stabilization

If I were forced to pick only one APS-C lens, this would be the one. The EF-S 17-55 gives you the best Canon zoom lens image quality available along with a wide, constant-over-the-zoom-range, max f/2.8 aperture (vs. a variable max aperture) that is useful for stopping action in low light or for creating background blur. Also included in this lens are fast and accurate Ring USM-driven autofocus and valuable image stabilization.

Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens
Buy the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Rent the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens

2. Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens

Excellent Image Quality, Wide Focal Length Range, Great Value, Great Autofocus Speed & Accuracy, Image Stabilization

The EF-S 15-85 does not have the wide f/2.8 aperture the EF-S 17-55 has, but it retains excellent image quality and has a wider range of focal lengths in a more-compact size. This lens is an especially good choice for landscape and travel photography. Like the EF-S 17-55, this lens features fast and accurate Ring USM-driven autofocus and valuable image stabilization.

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens
Buy the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens Rent the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

3. Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Excellent Image Quality, Great Value, Excellent Build Quality, Great Focal Length Range, Great Autofocus Speed & Accuracy, Image Stabilization, Weather Sealing

The 24-105's focal length range slides toward the long end of the general purpose range for APS-C body users, but it is still very well-loved by this group. The fixed f/4 max aperture falls in the middle between the f/2.8 options and the variable max aperture lenses. If you are not stopping action indoors without flash, f/4 works great for most purposes.

Nov 04, 2013 at 12:35 AM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lens Upgrade time!

The Digital Picture is a great resource and Bryan and Sean are very helpful and knowledgeable folks.

I'll throw in my 2 here. I got my 60D almost 2 years ago - a friend had one and a 17-55. I was positive I was going to get the 17-55, I used his and loved it. But literally as soon as I pulled the trigger on the 60D body, the price of the 17-55 went up to well over $1k. I had other lenses, but really wanted this one. Then the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS went on sale for a very good price. I already had a Sigma 10-20 and loved it - so I wasn't scared of 3rd party brands. I picked it up figuring I'd probably wind up returning it - and half hoping I'd see the 17-55 come down.

As it turned out I loved the lens, and am convinced it's as good or better than the 17-55 as far as optical performance. My friend thought so too, and sold his lens and 60D shortly thereafter. I could have gotten his 17-55 then and been within my purchase window - but kept the Sigma!

Advantages: Small, light, fast and excellent optics. Good color and contrast. A bit soft in the corners wide open - but I think the same as the Canon, and wicked sharp at f4-8. Cons: No full time manual, a short focus ring throw (about 45 degrees) and a hard stop. No focus scale window. I also have found that my AF is dead accurate and fast. I have had no issues with OOF percentages. It just works.

I recently picked up a 6D, 24-105 and 17-40. The 24-105 has left me somewhat unimpressed - perhaps because of high expectations? I can say with certainty, the Sigma is far sharper than the 24-105 on the 60D, and in fact comparing the 24-105 on the 6D. The Sigma is just plain old sharp. I really like the 17-40, far more than I thought. The 24-105 and 17-40 are reversed in how i thought I'd feel about them. Again, the 17-40 performs well on the 60D, but nothing like the Sigma.

So what? I'd say I really recommend a lens made for APS-C. Even though there's that supposed "sweet spot" you get using a FF lens on crop, I'm not seeing the advantage. I highly recommend the Sigma or the Canon 17-55. If I were to have 2 complaints about the Canon (which I still like a lot), it's that it's big, and it sucks dust. I've seen the dust problem - which in theory can be circumvented by using a protective filter. I'm really not big into clear filters unless I have to, but you may be different. The downside of buying APS-C only lenses is of course when it's time to move on.

The other obvious choice is the 15-85. It's a fantastic lens, perhaps down only a notch to the 17-55. If I were to complain about it, it's that it's variable aperture. I have the 17-85 precursor, which is a decent lens but nothing special. The nice thing about the 15-85 is it's great size and fantastic range. A good do-it-all. But the difference between an f3.5/5.6 and an f2.8 is huge.

The Sigma 17-50 was recently on sale for about $430, but I believe the regular asking price is around $550-570.

Oh yes, one more thing. If you look at the resolution charts on The Digital Picture, you'll see that the 17-55 doesn't perform particularly well. Bryan addressed that somewhere where he talks about how he does the tests. He says that for some reason the lens just did poorly there, and yet other lenses perform better. Just to say take the sharpness charts with a grain of salt.

Nov 04, 2013 at 02:18 AM
dansmail26
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lens Upgrade time!

Oh wow, something else to throw in and confuse me! , thanks for the very well written response. I will do more research on the Sigma.

Nov 04, 2013 at 02:35 AM
dansmail26
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lens Upgrade time!

OK, I am ready to buy now. I have received so many opinions on which lens that I am thoroughly confused, and have decided that both will work great and both will have disadvantages. The 15-85 has the disadvantage of the 5.6 aperture for her indoor work, she has a decent flash if she doesn't mind the dof. The 17-55 has the higher price and shorter zoom.
Anyways, to me it's a tie (though I would prefer the 17-55 so I don't have to see constant flashes, lol) and I have decided to go with the best deal I can find either of them!

(if anybody has one to sell pm me!)

I would like to thank everyone for helping educate me through this thread, your comments were all read, thought about and appreciated! Thank you!!!!!

Nov 09, 2013 at 03:07 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Lens Upgrade time!

Hi dansmail26,

A little late to the party, but I'll toss out the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C as a lens which should be on your short list of considerations as well. A bit more reach than the 17-55's being suggested here and it tests very well for sharpness, CA, Vignetting and distortion for a lens in this category. Also, by going this route your wife will have no lapse in coverage between 55 and 70mm. I purchased a previous version of this lens way back in the days when my 30D was new, and that lens pretty much lived on that camera. Consider it a 27-112mm (equivalent) replacement for a 24-105mm on a FF camera!

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C review: Digital Photography Review:
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-17-70mm-f2-8-4-os-hsm/3

Best of luck with your shopping!
Jimmy G

Nov 09, 2013 at 03:28 PM
rongoe
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Lens Upgrade time!

If I were restricted to <$350, I'd got with the tamron 17-50 nonVC. I loved it on my 40D. Focus was accurate, though not quiet or super fast. Colors and sharpness were great. If you've got more to spend, then by all means go for the added bonuses of IS, faster focus, and expanded range.

Nov 09, 2013 at 03:49 PM
dansmail26
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Lens Upgrade time!

No, I was trying to stay around $425 for the 15-85 or around $600 for the 17-55. I am trying to upgrade, so the IQ is very important to me. The Sigma 18-200 she is using right now as her 'standard' zoom just doesn't have the IQ of her 70-200 f4l. It worked fine on her old Xsi, but it doesn't seem as good on the 60d.

Nov 09, 2013 at 04:00 PM
dansmail26
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Lens Upgrade time!

I see you are right down the road from me in Rochester too!

Nov 09, 2013 at 05:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password