FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Across the sea...

mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Across the sea...

Not what would normally be considered good composition, with the bird facing away, but I still took this photo because it was a unique moment for me. I had stopped by the beach on my way to a wildlife refuge, and didn't see anything interesting. So, I sat down and just took in the cool breeze and the sound of the waves crashing. I was so in the moment that I almost didn't notice this sanderling that had walked up and was standing just a few feet from me to my right. Unfazed by my presence, he then proceeded to walk towards the shoreline where he stood still for a few minutes. It was almost as if he was gazing across the vast expanse of ocean, marveling at the grandeur, in the same way that I was. In that moment, we were two very different spectators enjoying the one beautiful planet that we share. I thought it was pretty cool

That said, what do you think of the composition? Does it tell the story, or is it just a poor photo of the back of a sanderling ?

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:12 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Across the sea...

Yes your capture really is telling a story!
To bad he did not turn more to the left! But you can't have everything!

Wow, he really is deep in thought! I feel it! SWEET!!
BeeBalm

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:56 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Across the sea...

Of course it tells a story. If a picture doesn't tell a story then it's not worth 1000 words. This image is powerful. I would have like to see the eye better but you get what u get.

Well done.

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:58 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Across the sea...

BeeBalm wrote:
Yes your capture really is telling a story!
To bad he did not turn more to the left! But you can't have everything!

Wow, he really is deep in thought! I feel it! SWEET!!
BeeBalm

Thanks, BB. I actually do have a sharp frame of him turned more to the left, but it is technically deficient so I didn't post it.

Nov 01, 2013 at 06:05 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Across the sea...

acjd wrote:
Of course it tells a story. If a picture doesn't tell a story then it's not worth 1000 words. This image is powerful. I would have like to see the eye better but you get what u get.

Well done.

Thank you, acjd. I agree that had the eye been more prominent, it would have strengthened the overall image.

Nov 01, 2013 at 06:06 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Across the sea...

A very nice image Mitesh. Good plane of focus and POV. There is enough eye there for me. More would be ok, less would be less effective for sure.

Nov 01, 2013 at 09:30 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Across the sea...

KCollett wrote:
A very nice image Mitesh. Good plane of focus and POV. There is enough eye there for me. More would be ok, less would be less effective for sure.

Thank you, Ken!

Nov 02, 2013 at 01:58 PM
GMcQ

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Across the sea...

My thoughts are just as Ken's. In my opinion, the composition is essentially sound. The portrait is 95% there. My ultimate question...would it be suitable to frame and hang? Answer: yep. No doubt.

Nov 02, 2013 at 05:08 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Across the sea...

GMcQ wrote:
My thoughts are just as Ken's. In my opinion, the composition is essentially sound. The portrait is 95% there. My ultimate question...would it be suitable to frame and hang? Answer: yep. No doubt.

Thanks for your thoughts, Glenn!

Nov 02, 2013 at 05:15 PM
shane8168
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Across the sea...

I REALLY like this one, typically the "beach birds" don't do much for me, but this one sparks some emotion.

Nov 02, 2013 at 07:44 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Across the sea...

shane8168 wrote:
I REALLY like this one, typically the "beach birds" don't do much for me, but this one sparks some emotion.

Appreciate it, Shane!

Nov 02, 2013 at 07:45 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Across the sea...

I feel it and I like it. It would be cool if he was turning a bit more to the left, but I am quite sure he would not have listened to you anyways.

Nov 02, 2013 at 08:01 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Across the sea...

treebeard wrote:
I feel it and I like it. It would be cool if he was turning a bit more to the left, but I am quite sure he would not have listened to you anyways.

You're probably right about that, Scott

Nov 02, 2013 at 08:03 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Across the sea...

I like the story and the shot Mitesh, thanks for both
David

Nov 03, 2013 at 04:28 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.