Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Update

Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Update

I have a bunch of stuff to post here, but I have had some issues come up recently that I just have not wanted to add posting to FM to my schedule.

I am working very hard on trying to find clients for seniors which, while I was in Alaska, was my main income. But, still being a small fish in the big pond of Colorado, I am struggling on finding those clients. I am making connections, but as of yet, they are not panning out. So, after tonights football playoffs, I think I will be at 50 galleries on MaxPreps for the fall season. Currently, and going against what I have said in the past, I am using MaxPreps as my primary income, and it is not enough. The wire I shot for over the last 7ish years (Newsport, which merged with Zuma Press a couple years ago, then went independent again last January, closed as of today, leaving me in a lurch. I put all of my effort into NewSport. I recruited photographers, many from here, and for those here who did join NewSport at my request, I do apologize for them closing, I tried very hard to help it succeed. If you did join NewSport on my advice, contact me via PM and I will give you some options.

Thankfully for me, Zuma Press has welcomed me back into the fold and I will continue shooting the Buffs for Zuma and will be their primary Rapids shooter next season. But, I am a couple weeks away from the next Buffs game (basketball or football).

However, without that main income from senior portraits, I am struggling, stressed, and at my wits end. On top of that, as many of you know, I am the primary caregiver for my mom (89 on the 12th of Nov). I am working right now to get her on Medicaid and finical assistance, which may give her a small stipend to pay me for her care (or bring in home healthcare providers), so a majority of my time is spent marketing myself, networking with photo editors trying to get gigs, and taking care of my mom and her medical requirements. I don't sleep much anymore. And on top of all of that, after draining my savings to pay bills, I am finding myself needing to upgrade or repair much of my gear which I just can not afford right now.

SO, I ask from all of you, please, be civil here. I really need to focus on my business and my mom and try to keep going day to day and any complaints or issues here at FM that I have to deal with just adds to my stress....

And to keep this sports related, here is a shot from last week at the last regular season football game. Shot at ISO 12,800! No flash and just Lightroom NR.

Nov 01, 2013 at 06:10 PM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #2 · Update

Carl,
I'm sorry you are having a difficult time. I'm hoping things get better for you very quickly.
On another note, 89 years young!!! Go MOM!!!
r/
Mike

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:04 PM
robby521
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Update

will be praying for you and your mom.

Nov 01, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #4 · Update

Carl, hope things turn around for you soon and 2014 will be your best year ever. Prayers for you and your mom.

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:19 AM
BrianBrakebill

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Update

Carl, I am one of the long time lurkers of this forum and always click posts from you (as well as a few others) knowing that I will see great sports photography and pick up something that I can use to better my own photos. I clicked on this post and read your update and then clicked away. Then I thought, I'm going to just say thanks to this guy that I don't know, for giving so much of himself to this forum. It's much appreciated. I'll keep good thoughts for you and hope all works out well in the upcoming months. Brian

Nov 03, 2013 at 02:31 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Update

Robby, Rick, and Brian. Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them.

Brian, I hope that now that you have broken your silence you will post some photos. Interaction here is a great way to increase your learning and better your photos.

I, thankfully, have a quiet beginning of this week. Just paperwork for my mom's medicaid, no shoots until Friday with 2nd round state football, then 3 state championship soccer games, followed by the buffs home opener basketball game on Sunday....So, I am just trying to rest and recover, work a bit on my website. You know how hard it is to go through 100,000's of photos to put together a new portfolio? I was thinking about a general portfolio, but maybe I will do sport specific. Soccer, Football, Baseball/Softball, Basketball, and other...

Thanks again guys.

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #7 · Update

Carl,
Hope everything works out for you and something great happens for you in the new year! Good luck with everything related to your mom! I am sad to see NewSport not work out, I know we talk offline some so let me know if I can ever help out. Good luck with the Clemson images!
Shane

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:42 PM
leewoolery
• • •
p.1 #8 · Update

Carl:

Hope everything with your mom goes well and much success with your senior portrait business.

Those senior portraits ( especially those seniors involved in sports ) and team sports for high/middle schools and youth sports make up a huge chunk of my income.

I love shooting action but it's just not that profitable these days.

All the best,

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Jon Uhler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Update

Hope it all works out for you Carl.

Jon

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:25 PM
schlotz