Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Best lens/body combo for interviews?

Nowhere Man
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best lens/body combo for interviews?

Going to be working on project whereby I'll be recording interviews with a WW2 veteran telling their war stories to be submitted to the Library of Congress Veterans History Project.

I'm buying new equipment for the project and have never shot video. My current Canon gear is non-video.

Best lens / body combo recommendations would be appreciated. Was considering a 5D3, and an L-series lens, but not sure which lens, or if the 5D3 is better at video than the more current 70D or 6D.

Maybe some interviews will be outside but mostly indoors as suggested by the LoC
http://www.loc.gov/vets/moreresources.html

Edited on Nov 01, 2013 at 06:09 PM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:47 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best lens/body combo for interviews?

5D3 and a 35/2IS. The moire on the other 2 bodies may present a problem for you.

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best lens/body combo for interviews?

5D3 + 24-105 for flexibility, I use that combo a lot for interviews.

However, if I get a nice background I'll often go with the 50/1.4 to 35 1.4.

We generally then break up the interview with close ups from a second camera using a 70-200.

I trust you know that video is only half of it - and you're planning on spending a good amount on audio gear like the link says? No matter which camera you buy, the on-board mic / audio is not really good enough for doing interviews because you'll get a lot of room noise / echo / reverb.

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best lens/body combo for interviews?

Are there video time constraints on certain camera models?

Nov 01, 2013 at 09:36 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best lens/body combo for interviews?

You do know that an XF100 could be better suited? The ability for the camera's AF to track subtle, and sometimes gross subject movements, could be useful - unless you don't mind someone shuffling in their seat moving in and out of focus.

Audio minimum would include one of Zoom's offerings and a RODE NTG2 (and deadcat or zeppelin for outdoors) on a stand.

Do you have an audio guy?

If you can find sublime and plentiful indoor light you're lucky. But seriously think about planning a simple (repeatable) lighting set-up for a consistent look from interview to interview - key and fill.

http://philipbloom.net/2011/12/14/dslrlighting/

Nov 01, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best lens/body combo for interviews?

Paul Mo wrote:
You do know that an XF100 could be better suited?

As the owner of three XF100 cameras I can agree with this too. If you're new to video, and interviews in particular then a real video camera with real XLR inputs for audio plus phantom power, AF (though don't rely on it blindly), vector scopes and zebras are all very useful.

Add to that, the XF100 records in MPEG2 50mb 4:2:2 so it's an approved codec standard for broadcast whereas the 5D3 isn't (though it can be used for some stations).

However, the XF100 won't be as good in low light. As soon as I have to turn the gain up to 6db or more then the 5D3/DSLR wins for me every time (and I'll work around the audio issues).

Also, the XF100 won't give you the shallow DOF some people look for (being a 1/3" sensor).

I can't believe how cheap the XF100s are now compared to when I bought mine

You could also look at the new XA25 too. Great camera for the price and also has the XLR inputs.

Nov 01, 2013 at 10:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password