Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Gods light in Oregon-Not sure where I'm going with this

Jglaser757
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Gods light in Oregon-Not sure where I'm going with this

Here is a series of images. I'm working and progressing through them, but I'm not sure where its going,,I prefer the last one cropped in BW, but still a work in progress! I don't like the bushes in the front, they seem distracting to me so I cropped them out.

First version 3 images blended and lightened foreground

Second version cropped but still unhappy with this

3rd version,,prefer the BW but not sure if this is enough!

Nov 01, 2013 at 11:43 AM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #2 · Gods light in Oregon-Not sure where I'm going with this

Perhaps it's just me, but I much prefer the first version with the bushes. When you pull them out it's almost as if the image is overly cropped.

Keep those happy little bushes!

Nov 01, 2013 at 12:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Gods light in Oregon-Not sure where I'm going with this

I wouldn't concern myself with the bushes regarding crop choices as they don't pertain to the "What's the point?" "What's the message that you want to convey to your viewer?"

Bushes or no bushes, I don't base my decisions on them. Rather, relate to my message, then apply concepts of scale, mass, leading, lines, etc. to enhance or mitigate attributes as needed to best present my desired message that I want to convey. If the bushes are a detractor, then I aspire to mitigate their detraction. Cropping is one way, sharpness, blur, sat/desat, dodge/burning tonal value, etc. are additional ways to enhance/minimize the impact an area has on the image.

The fact that you "lightened" the foreground in the first one means you intentionally drew our attention more to the foreground. Why did you draw attention to the foreground, if your primary message is about the light rays?

A few things come to mind. One is my usual color correction perspective at the blue tree. The mono of course mitigates this, but I'm wondering if you neutralize the tree, you'll warm the overall, which could add some "goldenness" to the light rays or the scene in general. Two is the saturation looks a bit overcooked. Three, I think that the crop helps with the weighting @ scale/mass relative to the area for the rays (bushes or not).

Your title says a lot ... which is why I lean so heavily on "What's the point?" "What's the message that I want to convey to the viewer?" To me, it serves as your starting point at true north for making your finishing/pp decisions. Without it, it is easy to be less certain as to your direction for an image.

BTW ... I'm really diggin, the distinction of those rays. Would like to see the raw/sooc from which you are working and a bit larger also.

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:08 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #4 · Gods light in Oregon-Not sure where I'm going with this

For me, leave the bushes in the foreground. The bushes provide a leading diagonal line upwards from the left side towards God's rays but I prefer the tonal values in the 2nd version best. I might consider warming it slightly overall. You have captured excellent sun rays and I think the image has potential. It might be one of those images where you're never 100% satisfied with the image but it still becomes one of our favorites.

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Gods light in Oregon-Not sure where I'm going with this

Took a stab at a few things ... kinda small after the crop, but hopefully it still represents some concepts. Kinda in line with Barbara @ diff tonal values of foreground, leading lines of bushes and warmer. A little more drama with a kiss of gamma in the second one. As always, S&P to taste.

Your vision for your image will of course be your way ... but first you gotta know your direction for the image before you can begin to take it there. Yet another one of those that was surely more incredible in person than on film ... those are always the toughies to convey the presence (see Bob for more @ presence) of what it was like to be there. Such was a goal of Adams that he was more concerned @ presenting/conveying presence than recording/presenting a technically accurate image. It took me a few decades before that concept finally started to penetrate my thick head ... still working on it.

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password