Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Portraits of my kindergartner - Please C&C

Mpking
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Portraits of my kindergartner - Please C&C

My main pursuit in photography has been to capture what life was like in my family so that we can look back one day and remember how things were. It's what I guess people call a family photojournalism style. It's almost all spontaneous, no flash. Recently though, I've wanted to start taking a few basic portraits of my kids which got me interested in off camera flash. My oldest child started kindergarten this fall so now seemed like a good time to give it a try.

The main goal was to keep it simple - just him in his school uniform out in our yard at home.

Any comments and critiques on any aspect of the photos appreciated. I do want to ask how his skin tone looks since I always feel like I struggle with getting it just right.

IMG_2166-2 by mpkingphoto, on Flickr

IMG_2136-2 by mpkingphoto, on Flickr

Nov 01, 2013 at 10:43 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Portraits of my kindergartner - Please C&C

Beautiful! He has a "light" about him

Nov 01, 2013 at 12:05 PM
sibirdie
• •
p.1 #3 · Portraits of my kindergartner - Please C&C

I agree with canerino, I think the color orange loves him.

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:11 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #4 · Portraits of my kindergartner - Please C&C

That's a really nice, honest portrait. You used OCF for this shot? If so, you really did a great job of blending strobe and ambient.

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #5 · Portraits of my kindergartner - Please C&C

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Yeah, there is a flash in an umbrella just off center to my right. I wasn't real happy at first so I just kept dialing it down til he didn't look so "flashed," if that makes any sense.

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:43 PM

calk
• • •
p.1 #6 · Portraits of my kindergartner - Please C&C

Very nice portraits here. Though they are similar, the first is my favorite by a considerable margin because of that delightful little touch of wryness in his smile.

Cal

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:34 PM
jayvo86

p.1 #7 · Portraits of my kindergartner - Please C&C

My first thought is "wow!" If I would improve these images, I'd brighten the face on the both of them. The contrast is falling a little flat on his right, but again great job. I LOVE the background. May I ask what lens?

Nov 01, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #8 · Portraits of my kindergartner - Please C&C

calk wrote:
Very nice portraits here. Though they are similar, the first is my favorite by a considerable margin because of that delightful little touch of wryness in his smile.

Cal

Thanks Cal. The first is my favorite for the same reason .

jayvo86 wrote:
My first thought is "wow!" If I would improve these images, I'd brighten the face on the both of them. The contrast is falling a little flat on his right, but again great job. I LOVE the background. May I ask what lens?

Thanks jayvo. I usually like a nice contrasty image but I actually lowered the contrast on these during my processing. I also knoced down the highlights a bit because of his shirt so that might be why his face needs a little brightening. I'll play around in lightroom a bit and see what I come up with. Maybe I'll have to use a local adjustment brush on the shirt instead. Oh, the lens was a Canon 200mm f/2.8L v2 shot wide open. Nice lens.

Nov 02, 2013 at 06:51 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Portraits of my kindergartner - Please C&C

nice set

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:03 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password