Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

surfnron wrote:
A very enjoyable set Ken. The u/w shots look very good to me, and your smiler made me smile too ~ Ron

Thank you kindly Ron!

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:24 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

Lightsearcher wrote:
Just beautiful..!! great info and very well done the pictures.

Marcelo

Many thanks Marcello. Nice of you to drop in and comment.

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:25 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

BeeBalm wrote:
Ken,
I would say awesome under water photography!!
Love number 4!

Cool story and information
BeeBalm

Getting a "cool story" comment means a lot BB, especially coming from you. Thanks a bunch for having a look and commenting.

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:26 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

Love these shots, Ken. And not just because they're different than what we usually see posted. Each has its own merit. Good work!

Henrik

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:31 AM
birdfreak12
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

Very nice. I'd like to try underwater shots some time soon. Thanks for sharing.

Nov 03, 2013 at 02:08 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

waldr_p wrote:
A wonderful and original set Ken, really excellent job here!

Paul.

Pleased you enjoyed the view Paul, and thank you for taking the time to comment.

Nov 03, 2013 at 06:04 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

Ted ellis wrote:
Outstanding series Ken!

Thank you kindly Ted.

Nov 03, 2013 at 06:05 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

mogul wrote:
I loved your underwater shots of Kokanne (landlocked Sockeye)...I have never seen such small spawners. Different bodies of water produce different size fish and can vary with year (they are plankton eaters). Some of our local waters, they can get close to Sockeye size.

Not sure what is driving the need to spawn so early, but that part of their life cycle certainly plays a part in their size. It may also be the lake is not rich with zooplankton. Have not been able to locate any documentation specific to this population. The lake does sport a healthy population of large rainbow trout, which are the primary predator on the Kokanee. Thanks for stopping in an having a look, and for taking the time to comment.

Nov 03, 2013 at 06:56 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

A very informative and enjoyable post Ken, thanks. The imagery is fab
David

Nov 03, 2013 at 10:07 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

Reeftank1 wrote:
Ken,

Well done. This in not only a great set of images it is a wonderful and well prepared effort on your part and a very cool way to share something many people never get a chance to see. You forgot to mention one thing though....They smell horrific after they do there thing.

Well done Ken!

Brian

Thank you for the very kind words Brian. At the site where I was hanging out, there was no smell. The number of dead fish was not all that big. These little guys mostly seemed to wash out to the lake, or get trapped in natural weirs. I've heard the big salmon runs yield a big stink due to the shere biomass.

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

morris wrote:
Super work Ken. I'd expect a bunch of scavengers to show up for a tasty treat.

Morris

Thank you Morris! A few eagles is all I saw, and they were going after live fish. No bears or other critters around, that I saw, cleaning up the dead fish. Not even gulls. The only active scavenging I saw was by a caddisfly larvae and the odd fly.

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:48 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

Herb Houghton wrote:
great documentation Ken. I'm sure fish biologists would love this work you've presented to us, I know I sure did.

Thank you Herb!! I'm sure fish biologist have studied this population, but I could not find any publicly available info. May have to dig deeper.

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:50 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

fingerda wrote:
Beautiful!

DaveF

Thanks Dave!

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:50 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

JimLittle wrote:
Great series.....I've always admired the colors of this spawning species.....probably the prettiest IMO.....wonderful set!!!

Many thanks Jim. I really like the color too. Very variable too, and the mottling varies too. And as you can see, the sexes seem to vary in shape a bit.

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:52 PM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.3 #15 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

Wonderful presentation Ken - the underwater shots look quite good.
This reflection on the great cycle of life and death is quite apropos. Having just turned 60 a few days ago, I can fully empathize with the fish "missing bits and pieces."

cheers, Steve

Nov 04, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.3 #16 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

KCollett wrote:
Thank you for the very kind words Brian. At the site where I was hanging out, there was no smell. The number of dead fish was not all that big. These little guys mostly seemed to wash out to the lake, or get trapped in natural weirs. I've heard the big salmon runs yield a big stink due to the shere biomass.

You got that right! Two weeks ago I had went chasing coho and while standing on the bank I lost my balance and put my hand right through a decomposing pink salmon of about 6 pounds. Hell it was terrrible and I can't imagine what I could have done to get the smell gone. YUCK!

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:57 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Great series- and great commentary as well, Ken.
Your underwater attempts were very successful imo.
I assume that the 2-year cycle of the species do not go to sea- and that's why they're smaller than their kin that DO go to sea.
I'm surprised that the fresh-water-only salmon die after spawning, though.
Hatched in fresh water, living in salt water, and spawning in fresh water makes it understandable that they die after spawning because of the difference in specific gravity of sea water compared to fresh- their cells literally explode in the fresh water.
But why would the landlocked members of the species die
...Show more

No sea for these guys Charlie. 100% certified land-locked. Something about their genetics just kicks in and a watery, internal version of self-immolation takes place. Not sure the seagoing populations have an issue with homeostasis/osmosis, as they live for many days in fresh water prior to spawning. From the Wikifoot: The condition of the salmon deteriorates the longer they remain in fresh water. Once the salmon have spawned, most of them deteriorate rapidly and die. This programmed senescence is "characterized by immunosuppression and organ deterioration." The Pacific salmon is the classic example of a semelparous animal.

Thanks for commenting!

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:25 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

GMcQ wrote:
Fantastic, Ken! Wonderful pictures and story of life and death with these fish. I've never seen this type of salmon before.
Very nice.

Thanks for stopping in Glenn. I appreciate it.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:28 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

hnilsson wrote:
Love these shots, Ken. And not just because they're different than what we usually see posted. Each has its own merit. Good work!

Henrik

Getting comments like this really make me feel the effort was worthwhile. Thanks a bunch Henrik. Very much appreciated.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:31 AM
brimull
• • •
p.3 #20 · Kokanee Salmon - Life & Death

Interesting images and enlightening storyline. Nice composition and surprising detail!

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:53 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password