New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wide angle zoom for FF

Greg M
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wide angle zoom for FF

I'm in search of a wide angle zoom for my 6D. I prefer one that has minimum distortion. I want one so that I can do residential interior shots. It'll get used for other things but the interior shots is the driving force behind getting something wider then my 24-105L. I'm not interested in the 16-35L because of the price.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the 17-40L or the Tokina 16-28 2.8. I'm leaning towards the Tokina. I'd like to get some opinions about these lenses and if there's another lens that I should consider.

17-40L - For outside shooting it has a functional hood and takes 77mm filters which I already have.

16-28 - Is slightly wider with less distortion and goes to 2.8 for those times that I might need a faster lens.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wide angle zoom for FF

I'd say that's a good set of choices given the budgetary constraints. The Tokina flares a lot more easily, but probably of little worry for interiors. It is of course about double the weight and front heavy and needs expensive filter kit for outdoors work. I came oh so close to pulling the plug on one.

I'm struggling to think of anything as good value as these two lenses for FF and Tokina wins on IQ overall and is a stop faster. It's really hard doing a low cost, low distortion high IQ UWA zoom, so you won't do much better AFAIK. Even if you wanted primes instead there's nothing that's not expensive that's a better choice as far as pure IQ goes and of course you lose the zoom flexibility.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:56 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wide angle zoom for FF

Of those you mention, the only one I've ever used is the Tokina, which I have. I haven't had many occasions to use it (in fact, a few home interior shoots is all I've used it for), but in my opinion it's a very, very good lens.

Here are a few from one shoot, all at 16mm with a 5D II. I did some distortion correction in CS6.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Greg M
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wide angle zoom for FF

Excellent examples, thank you for sharing them.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:14 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wide angle zoom for FF

Tokina all the way. I had one, sold it when I tried going all NEX, now back with a 6D and 17-40. The Tokina is quite superior. Will be selling the 17-40 in the somewhat near future as funds come up (I got my 17-40 on the cheap).

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wide angle zoom for FF

As long as you're not pointing the Tokina at the sun, its far superior to the 17-40.

Nov 02, 2013 at 08:38 AM
shroud72

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wide angle zoom for FF

Dave Dugdale did a nice review which compares the Canon 16-35L ii vs Tokina 16-28 and the Tokina wins out in sharpness and IQ.

http://www.learningdslrvideo.com/canon-16-35mm-ii-tokina/

Nov 02, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Greg M
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wide angle zoom for FF

Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered one today.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.