FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New website is up

jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New website is up

I decided to refresh my site with a new look. Would appreciate your thoughts. It's still a work in progress but I'm almost there. I need to add some more "commercial" pics to my site but that's not a priority at the moment.

www.jimcolmanphotography.com

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:01 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New website is up

Overall I like the look but I would suggest tightening up your galleries a bit. I only looked in depth at the bridal gallery though but I noticed that there were a few that shouldnt be there. There are some great portraits to be sure and it starts off strong and then there are a few snuck in there that just aren't at the same level. 2,3 and 30 stood out to me as looking like they were not taken by you as they were not even clsoe to some of the other really nice portraits you have.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:28 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New website is up

ok went to double check the images and they are in a different order so my numbers might not make sense sorry.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:29 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New website is up

I didnt know if you would be bothered by me posting examples directly here so I just put up the image names for you...
One of my favorites. Great lighting. Great Impact. Beautiful Shot. Looks like Jim colman is the man
gung-ho-2152.jpg

and one I would cut...looks like I shot it lol
jen-120-900.jpg

Good looking site and some great images on there. I always like your portrait lighting jim.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:39 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New website is up

Thanks man. I'll take another look.

Edit: That pic is one of the few images I snapped with an on-cameral flash a few years ago. But I loved the bride so I guess that's why I kept the pic.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:42 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New website is up

ditch the image of the bridge sitting on the bed, and the image of the groom sitting on the chair. those aren't portfolio material.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:53 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New website is up

jamesmorophoto wrote:
ditch the image of the bridge sitting on the bed, and the image of the groom sitting on the chair. those aren't portfolio material.

The bride on the bed (in the full size image where you can see her feet) has gotten me some rave comments. Girls love it. I'm actually thinking of using it as my centerpiece image in January's bridal show. The guy on the chair I might agree with you, but the image strikes me in some way I can't describe. But I appreciate your thoughts about these images. Thanks!

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New website is up

Jim.. for some reason the black on the top really bothers me. I personally would make the top white. It feels weird because the slideshow is touching the black so it looks like it has different color border. If you do want to keep the black, I think you need white in between the header and the slideshow.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:09 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New website is up

Robin Usagani wrote:
Jim.. for some reason the black on the top really bothers me. I personally would make the top white. It feels weird because the slideshow is touching the black so it looks like it has different color border. If you do want to keep the black, I think you need white in between the header and the slideshow.

Hmmm....good point. Thanks!

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New website is up

Robin Usagani wrote:

That's racist.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:10 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New website is up

jcolman wrote:
The bride on the bed (in the full size image where you can see her feet) has gotten me some rave comments. Girls love it. I'm actually thinking of using it as my centerpiece image in January's bridal show. The guy on the chair I might agree with you, but the image strikes me in some way I can't describe. But I appreciate your thoughts about these images. Thanks!

I hate hate hate that image, but I think it will help you target the brides you want. I hate to admit that I agree it should stay.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New website is up

I dislike the font - it's a bit too cold for me.

There's some formatting issues with the pricing page

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:56 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New website is up

That's racist.
hilarious

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:44 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New website is up

My two cents, Jim - the light gray font color is too light against the white background, at least on my computer.

As for the drinking on the bed photo - I have a good friend who has booked brides because of a similar bridal party drinking photo. It probably plays to some kind of "I'm getting married and am a grownup but am still a wild child" mentality. Kind of like tattoos and Harleys.

Nov 01, 2013 at 09:53 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New website is up

Mitch W wrote:
My two cents, Jim - the light gray font color is too light against the white background, at least on my computer.

Agreed. I didn't even see the 'Next' button for the opening slideshow and couldn't figure it out for a bit

Nov 01, 2013 at 10:18 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New website is up

Thanks guys. I don't know if I can change the light gray font color but I'll see.

Nov 01, 2013 at 12:06 PM
jolson72
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New website is up

Looks great. Imagery is strong. On the initial page, I think I'd prefer to see the red fonts / buttons as a shade of grey / white, possibly orange...... The red just seems a bit aggressive to me. Something a bit more subtle or relaxing.

Also, don't think it is a big deal, but shouldn't the gallery tab up top come before the about me? In order, I'd like to see home, gallery, pricing, blog, then about me.... Not that you aren't important, but if I am a potential client, I want to see images (gallery) before I read about you..... And it might just be me, but I scan the tabs from left to right....

For what it's worth. Just my very quick opinion!

Nov 01, 2013 at 12:48 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New website is up

jolson72 wrote:
Looks great. Imagery is strong. On the initial page, I think I'd prefer to see the red fonts / buttons as a shade of grey / white, possibly orange...... The red just seems a bit aggressive to me. Something a bit more subtle or relaxing.

Also, don't think it is a big deal, but shouldn't the gallery tab up top come before the about me? In order, I'd like to see home, gallery, pricing, blog, then about me.... Not that you aren't important, but if I am a potential client, I want to see images (gallery) before I read about you.....
...Show more

Good point. Thanks!

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:23 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New website is up

Jim I like many of your photographs. I think that's all that matters. That said my iphone geeks out on the picture display, seems to at times not display an image or crash. Never mind, seems to be fine now. Great pics.

Nov 02, 2013 at 12:49 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.