Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Thanks, RG. He's a likable player!

Nov 04, 2013 at 12:20 AM
waldr_p
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Great set!

Paul

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Richard Rowe
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Good stuff Russ.

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:44 PM
nadine
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Great work as usual Russ. Keep inspiring my brother!!

Nov 09, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Thanks, Paul!

Richard: Thank you. It's a great team you follow. One of the things I had a sense of as the game progressed and my cameras proved: Ibaka. Is. Everywhere.

Many thanks, Keith!

Nov 09, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Russ I'm curious how you handle the monopod indoors. I shoot with a 70-200 on my D4 and a 400 on my D3s indoors, but I handhold the 400. I'd much prefer to have the monopod on my 400, but have never been able to get a handle on using it because switching back and forth, especially when the 70-200 is my main camera and the down court stuff is usually secondary. Any tips?

Nov 10, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Matt: Sitting cross-legged with a seat that provides back support, the camera with 300mm lens is oriented horizontally with the monopod extended to the necessary height to fit the situation. The other body (with 70-200) is used mostly in the vertical position. These are the elements. When I'm shooting with the zoom, the 300 rig is lying in my lap so that the monopod is extended backward along my left hip. The switch, which has taken some time to master, involves placing the 70-200 rig on the floor to my right in a position that will allow me to quickly pick it up and have it in the vertical position (so I'm placing it on its side with shutter button up, rather than placing it on its bottom). One advantage of the monopod is that as I'm placing the zoom-rig on the floor with my right hand, I can be grabbing the monopod with my left hand and moving the tele into position. Same thing in reverse, using my left hand on the monopod to negotiate the body back into my lap as I more or less use my right hand to throw the zoom-rig back in front of my face and hope my left hand has returned to make the catch. It's funny because I realize your question is sort of like being asked how I tie my shoes, or ride a bike. It's hard to think it through and identify all of the necessary details for a process that over time has become very automatic.

Nov 10, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Thanks Russ, I'll have to give it an other try this season. Some of my courts I shoot at(mostly high school and Junior college) don't allow a whole lot of baseline room. But the older I get the less steady I am with handholding the 400!

Matt

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scorpio1
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Great stuff Russ!! Impressive!!

Nov 12, 2013 at 02:51 AM
luke0622
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Love the shots...

Gotta love the NBA arenas, the lighting are awesome...
sure not the case for colleges lol

Nov 12, 2013 at 03:07 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Basketball already - nice set

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM
mirandamember
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Bump.

Hoping R.I. posts again soon.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Peter Jonas

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Hi Russ
Your set helped get me keyed up for our high school basketball season. I shoot BB with a 5d3 and 70-200 IS II. I really want to improve my focus and keeper rate this year. What Af case do you set your camera at for basketball? Also, what AF area selection mode do you use, and where do you locate your focus area for vertical composition (for example I usually use zone AF in the upper third of the viewfinder? Finally, as action is going on, what is your ideal focus target--head, eyes, chest--anything you can get?

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:19 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

scorpio1: Thanks!

Thanks, luke0622. Yeah, the amount of light is nice, but the flashing advertisements and big screen projections affect WB in completely unpredictable ways.

CW: Thanks.

Mark: I'll try to post up a few NBA shots within the next day or so.

Peter: Glad to contribute to getting you keyed up! I'm all for inspiration. For NBA I've been using Case 3 with both my 1Dx and 5DIII. I don't use area selection (though maybe that's a good idea). I use a single selected point with four surrounding points also activated. I typically shoot vertically and select the point that's just below center. I've found that this gives me a bit more space on top, where inadvertently cutting things off is more problematic. With action, I'm usually trying to get my focus point on the player's chest. When I have time to compose, say a free throw, coach, or player on the bench, I'll move my focus point to allow me to put it on my subject's face. With regard to all of this (Case, AF point/area, and target), I can't say I'm absolutely confident I've made the best choices. This is where I'm at now and it's working well enough that I'm not banging my head against a wall and looking for something better. At the same time, I think there's room for improvement, so at some point I might try a tweak or two.

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Peter Jonas

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Thanks Russ
I will definitely try your settings. I think I have been setting my focus points too high trying to get the head. Then they can easily lock onto ceiling, crowd, etc. Area high schools are getting going this Tuesday. Lot's of times people talk about using "proper technique", but it's hard to know what "proper technique" is. It's really great when working pros are willing to share what you do.

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:28 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password