Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

This one's for mirandamember.

First game of the regular season and the young and inexperienced Jazz are well on their way to perfecting promising disappointment (which is exactly what everyone is expecting). Took it down to the wire and kept the fans in their seats until the final buzzer; lost 101-98. Here are 12 shots for C&C. #s 1, 3, 4, and 7 are with the 5DIII + 300 f/2.8 IS; the rest are with the 1Dx and 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. Thanks for looking.

Edited on Nov 01, 2013 at 02:12 AM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:10 AM
jeremymcknight

p.1 #2 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

great work!

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:19 AM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #3 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

What need be said but Russ Isabella.

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:50 AM
mirandamember
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

I can't pick a favorite. Every one is amazing.
Thanks for posting!

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:55 AM
mirandamember
• •
p.1 #5 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Russ Isabella wrote:
This one's for mirandamember.

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:57 AM
Aqualung
• • •
p.1 #6 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Outstanding Russ

Chris

Nov 01, 2013 at 12:17 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Russ, nice work. You've got your 1Dx and 5D MkIII kickin' it! I never though Gordon Hayward would make it in the NBA - how's he doing?

My favorite is number 5.

Nov 01, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Thanks, Jeremy.

Too kind, Caleb. Thank you.

Mark: Thanks. Glad you liked 'em.

Thanks, Chris.

Dennis: Hayward is doing well and is one of the prominent young faces of the franchise. While he'll never be a Kevin Durant or a Lebron James, he possesses their kind of multi-threat ability with good size, a sweet shot with great range and point guard ball-handling skills (his height came to him relatively late so he was a point guard during his early years as a player). A bit inconsistent, but it has been fun to watch his confidence grow. This will be a big year for him as he becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the season. Thanks for the comments. I enjoyed your Bulls-Knicks set.

Edited on Nov 01, 2013 at 11:44 PM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:24 PM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #9 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

AWESOME!!!!

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:26 PM
thetaobear
• •
p.1 #10 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

great set!

Nov 01, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gschlact
• • •
p.1 #11 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Loving 5. (7 and 9 too)

What's with the tights Durant is wearing?

Guy

Nov 02, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #12 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Russ - great stuff considering it's this early in the season my guess is that if you compared this Isabella dozen with one closer to the end of the season that you'd see some better stuff. It's not often that someone of your stature posts your work and listens to feedback good or bad and I keep that in mind when I'm looking at your work.

Oddly enough #5 was probably one of my least favorite and apparently I'm in the minority which isn't anything new… it seems to me that the shooters face is a bit soft or that it's not showing enough… you won't hear this very often but maybe you were too low!!!

#7 - love the pose and expression but I'd adjust the levels some in order to bring out more detail in his face… (is there a thread that discusses race in photography?!?) I'd think that Canon could come up with a sensor to determine exposure settings based on how tan the subject is…

1, 2, and 10 are my favorites…

9 - do you have more of the frame towards the hoop? I'd be interested to see what's going on with the person's arm, are they sitting on the ground

Is it me or does full frame make tons of sense in basketball but maybe less so in other sports? #3 to me certainly stands out as a shot that you almost couldn't get with a cropped sensor…

I shoot my first basketball games of the year tomorrow and if I get shots like this I'd be pickled stink.

Thanks,
Chad

Nov 02, 2013 at 06:04 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Looks like the 300 combo works quite well Russ. Hand hold or mono? Hard to pick, as usual , I'd go with 2, 3 & 10.

Matt

Nov 02, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

mikepmcs, taobear and Guy: Thanks! (No idea what's up with the tights; Ibaka was wearing them also).

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Chad Bassman wrote:
Russ - great stuff considering it's this early in the season my guess is that if you compared this Isabella dozen with one closer to the end of the season that you'd see some better stuff. It's not often that someone of your stature posts your work and listens to feedback good or bad and I keep that in mind when I'm looking at your work.

Chad: I'm hopeful you are right that my endgame will be better than my work from the second outing of the season. I have a healthy list of things I want to improve on at tonight's game, so I agree there is progress to be made.

Oddly enough #5 was probably one of my least favorite and apparently I'm in the minority which isn't anything new… it seems to me that the shooters face is a bit soft or that it's not showing enough… you won't hear this very often but maybe you were too low!!!

I can see what you are saying about this image, and I agree, but I also think there is another layer, if you will, where the focus (of the viewer, not the camera ) is on the athleticism and body positions. But your point is well taken.

#7 - love the pose and expression but I'd adjust the levels some in order to bring out more detail in his face… (is there a thread that discusses race in photography?!?) I'd think that Canon could come up with a sensor to determine exposure settings based on how tan the subject is…

Absolutely, a skin color-sensitive exposure system would be great, and I'd add my wish that WB also would adjust itself accordingly! But with this image, on my monitors I'm seeing the detail in his face you are asking for, so I'm not sure what the problem might be.

9 - do you have more of the frame towards the hoop? I'd be interested to see what's going on with the person's arm, are they sitting on the ground

Here's the full-frame shot. Not quite on the ground, but almost...

Is it me or does full frame make tons of sense in basketball but maybe less so in other sports? #3 to me certainly stands out as a shot that you almost couldn't get with a cropped sensor…

Yes and no. For near-court shooting, full frame is an advantage in my opinion because the action can get pretty tight, especially with the size of the NBA players and more or less depending on how close to the hoop you sit along the baseline. For the far court, there's a lot more play in the system and Dennis W (dmwierz here at FM) recently shared that he uses a 400 on a full-frame body for this purpose. Regarding #3, here's the full-frame version, and you can see that If I had been shooting horizontal, I could have fit them into the frame twice (though shooting vertically, which makes more sense for my purposes, might have been problematic in this case with a crop sensor).

I shoot my first basketball games of the year tomorrow and if I get shots like this I'd be pickled stink.

Good luck! And thanks again for your feedback. I appreciate the detail and the effort. I think a lot about this stuff, and I sure don't mind a little greasing of the wheels.

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #16 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Russ - thanks for your response… interesting about DMWierz using a 400… on a 1.3 crop I feel that a 300 is a bit long and like my 70-200 although it comes down to experience not the focal length being an issue. High level basketball moves so fast and my lack of experience poses problems shows in that I have trouble not cutting off limbs when I shoot appropriately tight. thx for your reply as always and openness to the peanut gallery occasionally chiming in

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:57 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Hey thanks, Matt. The 300 is on a monopod. Took a while to figure out how to manage the constant switching between longer tele on a stick and zoom, but now it's pretty natural and works well. Good luck with your soccer shoot!

Nov 02, 2013 at 05:06 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #18 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

I'm surprised you don't have anything shorter than the 70-200, or do you and it's just that none of these used that lens?

So position wise, are you mid-way between the hoop and the corner?

Nov 03, 2013 at 04:35 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Andy: I usually have a 24-70 with me but I don't use it much for game action. Typically I'm a bit more than halfway toward the corner; occasionally I shoot from the third spot in from the hoop, which is much closer to the key. On those occasions I sometimes will use the 24-70 for near-court action, but I find that I more often feel I'm too wide with the 24-70 than too tight with the 70-200.

Nov 03, 2013 at 04:59 AM
RG808

p.1 #20 · NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Utah Jazz

Nice! KD is my daughter's favorite player.

Nov 03, 2013 at 09:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password