Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?
I keep my cards in the original (singular) plastic cases.
I keep my cards in a card wallet (sans the plastic case).
I keep my cards loose in whichever photo bag or jean pocket is closest.
I use a different or DIY method of carrying memory cards.
I only have one or two cards and don't need any of the above.

How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rocket all the way. I have been using them for over 8 years, and like the combination of features they provide. When open, seeing through the front of the pocket allows me to manage and find the card I want. Storing cards in order of how I want to use them keeps me from looking through a bunch of loose cases. Placing used cards in backwards gives a different label showing to me, which makes it clear it is used. For Compact Flash cards, they are plenty durable enough that no case is required. I then get very fast access to my card for a fast change. For SD, which I do not need to change much in the field, they go in the plastic case they came in for protection, which they need, and then store that in a CF size pocket. And I really like the leash on the Pixel Pocket Rocket, which has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. It can be clipped to my bag, or clipped to my shirt through a loop or an un used button hole, and in either case if I drop my Pixel Pocket Rocket either closed or open, it is tethered to me, and I do not loose my cards. A great product that is now a classic, and I just stay with Think Tank on this.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

PPR in use

now there is a myriad of very very similar designs. the Tembo from GG is neat
but historically I try to give elastic a wide berth

NIKON D7000    17.0-70.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    31mm    f/5.6    1/125s    5000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 12, 2013 at 04:34 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

I use card wallets

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:45 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Hi All,

Well, I guess my needs are a bit different, it's rare that I shoot more in a day than what a 16GB card can hold. At most, a freshly erased and/or formatted card in-camera and a spare in my pocket, um, just in case. And that's always shooting RAW + JPG. Yeah, I keep 'em in their plastic cases when not in use. I basically travel around with 4x16GB CF cards in total, two go with the 7D and two go with the 5D2, and if I've got the mind to shoot some video I'll take just one camera and all four cards. (I will say, I have considered grabbing a 1000x 64GB card for each of the cameras based on Lars' speed tests.) All cards are just stowed in one of the velcro pockets in my bags when not in use.

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:08 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Owning 'only' 5 CF cards, I don't need wildly formal organizational methods. The numbered cards do fine in their original plastic case, all stashed in a small internal pocket inside the camera bag's front storage area.

Good grief! How many pictures do you people take?
Even 'machine gunning' lightning, I'm hard pressed to fill my modest collection in a long evening.

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:52 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Greg Campbell wrote:
Owning 'only' 5 CF cards, I don't need wildly formal organizational methods. The numbered cards do fine in their original plastic case, all stashed in a small internal pocket inside the camera bag's front storage area.

Even 'machine gunning' lightning, I'm hard pressed to fill my modest collection in a long evening.

Take a 2 to 4 week photo trip and could come up with 12,000 images more or less. That depends what the subject is. Back cards up on 2 Hyperdrives and try not to reuse a card while on the trip.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:16 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

+1000 to the TTP Pixel Pocket Rocket. It just works.

Rob

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:40 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

PV Hiker wrote:
Take a 2 to 4 week photo trip and could come up with 12,000 images more or less. That depends what the subject is. Back cards up on 2 Hyperdrives and try not to reuse a card while on the trip.

12 THOUSAND?!
4 weeks * ~10 hours per day = 280 hours shooting.
12K/280 = 42 shots per hour = one picture every 84 seconds (!!) on average. By necessity, many/most will be bunched even closer together. Heck, upon arrival at a given location, it takes me several minutes to even _begin_ to figure out what I want to shoot, much less fiddle with the composition, etc.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Greg Campbell wrote:
12 THOUSAND?!
4 weeks * ~10 hours per day = 280 hours shooting.
12K/280 = 42 shots per hour = one picture every 84 seconds (!!) on average. By necessity, many/most will be bunched even closer together. Heck, upon arrival at a given location, it takes me several minutes to even _begin_ to figure out what I want to shoot, much less fiddle with the composition, etc.

But let's say you go on a safari for 4 weeks. Or shooting birds four weeks. If going to the Olympics, Soccer World Cup or any other big sport that is going on for a few weeks. Then it's easy to even get more than those 12k pics

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Roland W
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

The larger memory cards that are currently available make it a bit easier to manage with fewer cards, so it is going to always depend on if you are shooting with 8GB cards or 64GB cards. If you have a high frame rate camera like a 1D4 or 1DX, and are shooting RAW plus JPEG, and the event has a lot of action, you need plenty of cards. A motor sports race or an all day airshow are examples where a lot of shots are taken in order to get a smaller number of keepers. Even in landscape or travel situations, if you are exposure bracketing up to 5 frames per shot, those RAW's can add up too. And of course for a long trip lasting weeks, where you keep every image on the original card it was shot on as part of your backup plan, that can tax card ownership, as well as slots in your Pixel Pocket Rockets to keep them in.

I own about 20 cards with capacity sizes from 8GB to 32GB, and there are occasional times when I make use of most all of them. I can shoot up to 2,000 shots in one day at an air show, and I do not shoot as many frames as some people do. 10 frames per second can add up fast. And RAW is always needed, becaue the exposure is chalenging at air shows, and adjustment in post is almost allways required.

Edited on Nov 20, 2013 at 09:18 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2013 at 08:08 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Even going on a trip with Michael Francis to photograph winter animals (link) there is nonstop action from the behavior. So you are shooting all the time. A lot of the time in burst mode to try to get body and head position just right. Same goes for birds in flight, take 50 and hope for 1 to have the right combination. So yes by breaking down the possible images per day looks like a lot, Disadvantage is there is a whole lot of deleting going on.

The Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rocket or similar has worked well for holding CF cards.

Nov 20, 2013 at 08:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Greg Campbell wrote:

I shoot about 2000 per day on average, but sometimes 4000.

EBH

Nov 23, 2013 at 05:04 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Greg Campbell wrote:

Realize that different photographers shoot different things, and that some photographers actually have other people shooting as well.

When I shoot soccer, I typically bring two cameras and dedicate one card per camera per game. So if I'm shooting four games, I'll use eight cards, regardless if any are ever full. So TT PPR to the rescue here.

When I owned my own photography company and covered gymnastics, I gave 6-8 cards to each photographer for each session, and when you're talking 6 or 8 photographers shooting at the same time, the numbers add up. Of course, I just stacked them on the table after downloading in that instance. Eight tidy little piles.

John

Nov 23, 2013 at 05:39 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

TT card wallets, one for each body, formatted/empty cards face up, full cards face down, in-use in-camera, have both CF and SD cards, too many to count but not as many as Lars; mostly SanDisk

Nov 23, 2013 at 08:34 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Greg Campbell wrote:

I like to pack light--no computer--so a lot of extra cards during a 2 or 3 week trip is still a lot lighter than carrying a notebook. Albeit not even close to Lars collection...

Nov 23, 2013 at 04:08 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
But let's say you go on a safari for 4 weeks. Or shooting birds four weeks. If going to the Olympics, Soccer World Cup or any other big sport that is going on for a few weeks. Then it's easy to even get more than those 12k pics

Or even Farnborough International Airshow 7 days of 5 hours per day in "burst" mode easily equals 10k+ images
Niall

Nov 29, 2013 at 09:00 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · How Do You Store Multiple Memory Cards?

I have several of these filled up with 9 cards each

Pelican 0940-015-110 0945 Memory Card Case

each side holds three, and there is enough space for another row of three in the middle

fit real well in the back pocket or other locations...have used the soft cases before...but have bent some cards too

have one that only holds 4 cards...that one holds my largest cards...

and at an event, its possible to go through about 15 cards....

Dec 02, 2013 at 06:13 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password