Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

5d3 actuation count

maxx9photo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 5d3 actuation count

Please help if there's any possible way to check the shutter click on my 5D3?

Oct 31, 2013 at 06:55 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #2 · 5d3 actuation count

Try this:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/canon-shutter-actuation-app-for-mac/

Oct 31, 2013 at 07:04 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 5d3 actuation count

Thank you.

Nov 02, 2013 at 03:55 AM
rrwingnut
• •
p.1 #4 · 5d3 actuation count

I downloaded this free software and it works just fine!

http://www.shutteractuations.com/

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:18 PM
rrwingnut
• •
p.1 #5 · 5d3 actuation count

Try this one I see the other one won't go thru for some reason:-/

www.shutteractuations.com/

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:19 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · 5d3 actuation count

maxx9photo wrote:
Please help if there's any possible way to check the shutter click on my 5D3?

Per CPS, only true reading is thru Canon

Nov 02, 2013 at 10:04 PM
lesaus
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · 5d3 actuation count

rrwingnut wrote:
Try this one I see the other one won't go thru for some reason:-/

www.shutteractuations.com/

Works fine for my 50D, 7D and 5D3. Thanks for the link!

Nov 02, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 5d3 actuation count

docsmiles17 wrote:
Per CPS, only true reading is thru Canon

+1

One thing with non-Canon software is you don't know if you're getting the reading for shutter clicks, mirror clicks, shutter button pushes, or images recorded to disc. The Canon software reads all of those separately but with a third-party read you don't know which number you're getting. They can be very, very different in these days of video, live view, and automated time-lapse photography (if I understand correctly, shots taken with a remote or cable release don't show on the shutter-button count).

My favorite camera story this way is a 5DIII we had serviced at Canon because after a month long rental it came back with dozens of hot and dead pixels. The shutter count was under 5,000 but it had hundreds of video hours on it. I had another that depending on what number you read had counts ranging from 20,000 to 70,000.

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:03 AM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 5d3 actuation count

mitesh wrote:
Try this:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/canon-shutter-actuation-app-for-mac/

So I tried this and weird thing is 1 camera shows the full serial # and the other one only 2 digit number, do you know what could this be?

Edited on Nov 07, 2013 at 04:52 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2013 at 05:14 AM
Methodical
• • •
p.1 #10 · 5d3 actuation count

RCicala wrote:
+1

One thing with non-Canon software is you don't know if you're getting the reading for shutter clicks, mirror clicks, shutter button pushes, or images recorded to disc. The Canon software reads all of those separately but with a third-party read you don't know which number you're getting.

I don't believe this one bit. Here's why. When I got my new 5D3, I took a few shots (I knew how many), then used EOScount and it confirmed the shutter count. This software provided the actual serial number and even my name and copyright info. that's in the camera. I used this when I sold my 5D2. Plus, I did a count before (33,750) I sent my 1D4 to CPS for service and the shutter count was 33,770 when I got it back. I confirmed that EOScount is accurate by 2 different method. Plus Canon CPS confirmed my EOS shutter count. So, I don't believe Canon.

Nov 07, 2013 at 04:08 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · 5d3 actuation count

Methodical wrote:
I don't believe this one bit. Here's why. When I got my new 5D3, I took a few shots (I knew how many), then used EOScount and it confirmed the shutter count. This software provided the actual serial number and even my name and copyright info. that's in the camera. I used this when I sold my 5D2. Plus, I did a count before (33,750) I sent my 1D4 to CPS for service and the shutter count was 33,770 when I got it back. I confirmed that EOScount is accurate by 2 different method. Plus Canon CPS confirmed my EOS
...Show more

I do believe Roger. I've tried the mac application and the windows application. Both report wrong for my known count on my 2month old 1DX. I've never used video or LV on the 1DX and the count does not match my file number that should be accurate. It is about 1000 under reporting. So who knows how these work but they are only a rough guess.

Nov 07, 2013 at 04:58 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 5d3 actuation count

Methodical wrote:
I don't believe this one bit. Here's why. When I got my new 5D3, I took a few shots (I knew how many), then used EOScount and it confirmed the shutter count. This software provided the actual serial number and even my name and copyright info. that's in the camera. I used this when I sold my 5D2. Plus, I did a count before (33,750) I sent my 1D4 to CPS for service and the shutter count was 33,770 when I got it back. I confirmed that EOScount is accurate by 2 different method. Plus Canon CPS confirmed my EOS
...Show more

I'm not trying to say it's always wrong. I'm simply saying it's not always right.

I totally accept your experience with your cameras. Can you consider accepting my experience with 800+ Canon cameras? Generally count programs are pretty accurate. Sometimes they are wildly inaccurate.

Nov 07, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Methodical
• • •
p.1 #13 · 5d3 actuation count

RCicala wrote:
I'm not trying to say it's always wrong. I'm simply saying it's not always right.

I totally accept your experience with your cameras. Can you consider accepting my experience with 800+ Canon cameras? Generally count programs are pretty accurate. Sometimes they are wildly inaccurate.

When I said I don't believe it, I was not directing it at you, but Canon. Also, I should've stated that in "my experience" I had no issues with EOScount and PC (no experience with MAC). I definitely accept your experience, only you know your experience. My apologies.

Which program did you use? I think that would help clear things up when we provide the names of the software that's not accurate. Those freebies may be the one's that's not accurate. Have you ever tried EOScount? If not, give it a try, if it supports your camera that way we can maybe provide a broader picture for folks. I've never tried those freebies and may need to try to see if I have the same experience as you'll.

To the OP, I had no issues with EOScount, which I have confirmed. Each count cost $1.79, but worth it, if it provides accurate data when compared to the freebies.

Just One Man's Opinion

Al

Nov 07, 2013 at 07:11 PM
Chumma
• •
p.1 #14 · 5d3 actuation count

Methodical wrote:
... This software provided the actual serial number and even my name and copyright info. that's in the camera. .

Using Canon SDK, it is not difficult to write a program that correctly reports user name, copyright info, battery info etc (but not the shutter count info).

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password