New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Gooseberry Falls

gregfixit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gooseberry Falls

Here is a couple of shots from Crystal Falls in northern New Hampshire. I did get the longer exposure but I'm not really thrilled with these. I would love some feedback or suggestions for making them better.
I would love to see what others may have if you care to share.
Thanks
Greg

© gdgood photography 2014

Crystal falls, NH

Crystal Falls 2, NH

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:53 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gooseberry Falls

Greg,

I like the first Crystal Falls image better than the second because of the way it includes the environment. The second one begs for more on the sides, somehow. OTOH some will complain about the blown-out or nearly blown-out sky in the first one, and vote for the second one, In the end, as always, it's what ~you~ want that matters.

It doesn't look like you used a polarizer, at least in the first one. Using one would cut some of the reflections off of the wet rocks and bring out some more color.

Where is Crystal Falls? That's one I never heard of.

Thanks for sharing!
keith

Mar 08, 2014 at 01:21 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gooseberry Falls

Perhaps some tweaks to darkness and light to guide the eye?

Mar 08, 2014 at 03:30 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gooseberry Falls

Keith, Crystal, NH is between Berlin and Groveton. (North of the White Mtns) I like the first one better as well. I cropped it quite a bit. I also tried to recover the sky but it was an overcast day and there wasn't much to see. Here is another that includes more of the falls.

Karen, I like the way your edit does as you describe. It draws my eye right into the falls and the rocks, using the trees to frame everything. Did you use 'Lighting Effects' in PS?

More of Crystal Falls, NH

Mar 08, 2014 at 06:42 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gooseberry Falls

I used feathered selections to add exposure layers with the gamma bumped and a fair amount of dodging and burning and a wee bit of selective sharpening and and mid-tone contrast increase using the UnSharpMask (USM).

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:13 PM
Spencer Cox

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gooseberry Falls

Those are both powerful photos! Personally, I think the first image is stronger. If I were you, I would crop out the bright spot of sky at the top of the photo because it is somewhat distracting to my eye and probably not necessary to the photo's message. Also, maybe saturate the yellows of the tree leaves slightly more so they don't look muddy.

I definitely think you made the right decision to freeze the water in the falls. We all see a lot of blurred-waterfall pictures, and it's nice to see one that breaks the trend without being distracting. I like the contrast as well.

Mar 09, 2014 at 09:35 PM
brutigo

[X]
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gooseberry Falls

Amazing perspective

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:23 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gooseberry Falls

Perhaps desaturate some of the yellow/brown water streaks. FWIW

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.