New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Multnomah Falls

Jeff Higgins

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Multnomah Falls

Critiques or comments? I didn't do much in Photoshop, a little cropping and temp changes, but that's about it. What do you think?

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Multnomah Falls

I think your temp changes are pretty good. Only a subtle blue (not always a bad thing) in a few areas that are more in line with mood control rather than incorrect WB. Much to like here ... sharpening / contrast levels could be tweaked to give it a punchier vibe, or it could be left as is for the softer vibe (i.e. subjective @ individual preference).

Given the very distinct distance layers of fg, bridge/fall and distant fall, I might try to impart some selective sharpening variance to enhance those differences and generate a touch more "depth" feel to it ... but that's just something I like trying to achieve in certain images.

Really, not much to change ... except as your preferences dictate @ mood/vibe. Much goodness to like (maybe a micro-smidgeon rotation or skew to level bridge ), the comp spatial relationships are nicely balanced to transition us around with lines, tones, hues, scale and mass.

Again, much goodness.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Jeff Higgins

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Multnomah Falls

RustyBug wrote:
I think your temp changes are pretty good. Only a subtle blue (not always a bad thing) in a few areas that are more in line with mood control rather than incorrect WB. Much to like here ... sharpening / contrast levels could be tweaked to give it a punchier vibe, or it could be left as is for the softer vibe (i.e. subjective @ individual preference).

Given the very distinct distance layers of fg, bridge/fall and distant fall, I might try to impart some selective sharpening variance to enhance those differences and generate a touch more "depth" feel to it
...Show more
ACK! I knew it was still skewed. I rotated it about 1.2 degrees by .2 degree increments, but then when everything was all done I didn't know if it was my imagination or if it was still skewed! I need to work on leveling the camera better, especially since it was on a tripod, no real excuse.

I've never done selective sharpening so I'll read up on that.

Thanks so much for your positive critiques, I really do appreciate and try to follow advice!

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Multnomah Falls

Don't take my word @ level vs. unlevel as gospel ... it came with a

I haven't "checked" it ... just going by how it looks to me (which could be an illusion). Also, it may not be a level issue, it could be a slight touch of skew instead. Either way, its a nice shot and the level/skew issue is an extreme (potential) micro-nit for only the most ardent "retentive" types.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Multnomah Falls

Kent, if we didn't have nits such as yourself we'd end up leaving too much on the table! Plus it helps open our eyes overall to what goes into a good image.

Jeff, definitely one of your better waterfall shots posted!

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Multnomah Falls

Diggin' the eye opening thing, that's all they're meant for.

Sometimes the uber-critical analysis nit machine doesn't change the overall message of the image one tittle or iota ... other times it tells on itself, or makes that "nth degree" of difference. Judiciously discerning the difference it makes (or doesn't) is a whole 'nother matter. I'm fairly sure Doug (et al) would agree.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM
ptrish6150

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Multnomah Falls

I think you nailed it

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Multnomah Falls

ptrish6150 wrote:
I think you nailed it

+1 ... the more I look at it, the more I want to see it in print.

Nov 01, 2013 at 08:51 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.