FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

Tom Spader
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

Just lucked into 2 vivatar 283's, I remember these babies from my college days. They have the Vari-power mod on them and there's two AC power cords. The wheels are turning. Anyone out there using these old workhorse gems? Love the compact size and the AC power is a huge plus. Couple light stands and now no battery woes ... this will be fun at the reception me thinks.

A friend passed me light
My eyes opened, a new world
Disappear the night

Oct 31, 2013 at 06:36 AM
Dan Lai
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

If you see them on sale, let me know please
Dan

Oct 31, 2013 at 07:00 AM
vraspa
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

Try out the ac and let me know if it works for you. I love the 283 and 285's but have always had problems with the ac. According to a lot of research that I did many of the units were wired differently so the plugs didn't match the sockets. I have 4 of them and none work with ac cord.

Oct 31, 2013 at 07:06 AM
Tom Spader
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

First plug in says they both work. Not sure how old they are, but they both fire with AC, so I guess I lucked out there. There is even a wire for pocket wizards x2. Not sure how powerful they are vs the Canon's I have, but if memory serves me they are pretty good. The vari mod can dial it way down. I think these will work well. A while back I found one at Good Will for $3 and while it fires randomly, a cleaning of the connectors may put a third into the mix. In the past I used the Canon's with Turbos but it made for the lightstand combo to be a bit top heavy, so this could def lighten things up a bit.

Oct 31, 2013 at 07:19 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

How are you planning to trigger the units? The 283 trigger voltage on the older units is way too high for DSLR's and most, if not all radio triggers. There are ways around it, but don't use one "as is".

Look at this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Taming-the-high-trigger-voltage-of-the-Vivitar-283/

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Tom Spader
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

OK I have to admit my ignorance here and this does seem high tech to me. Not knowing about any of this I fired them a couple times using a pocket wizard with a wire into the side of the 283. Everything seemed fine. In layman's terms, what is the danger firing these things with a radio? What could be damaged? Thank you for the heads up.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM
slay12345
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

I use the Cactus V5 triggers (I got great service from mpex.com) . They handle trigger voltages up to 300V. I dont think any of my 5 vivtar 283's were over 200v but definitely wouldn't put on on my camera.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM
slay12345
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

Do a search online to find out how to test trigger voltages. If I remember correctly I had a wide range coming from my 283's, I think I have a couple under 20v and some pushing 200v.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Tom Spader
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

Again please excuse density here, but electronics often leave me wide eyed. when they work, when they don't. So what is at danger here firing a 283 with a pocket wizard? What would be damaged? The PW fry? The flash unit. I feel I should know what the hell you guys are talking about but I do not. I unfortunately am one for: plug it in and it works I am good and will learn how to use it better, but never one for the how/why it works. Thanks.

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:24 PM
vraspa
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

If you are firing them with a full set of batteries in them they are probably firing off of the aa"s. In order to use them with ac you need and adapter battery. It is a little green device shaped like a AA battery but does not have any power. It just completes the circuit.

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:30 PM
Tom Spader
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

Using the Vivatar SB-4, now replaced by the Pearson SB-4, you do need to have AA batts installed but no adapter is needed. I have the Vivatar. BnH is selling the Peason these days. I assume the Vivatar is discontinued.

Link to BnH

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:43 PM
vraspa
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

Since you are using a full set of AA batteries how can you tell if the sb-4 is providing any power?

Oct 31, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Tom Spader
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

The recycle time is much faster with the AC in than out, so I assume it is the AC power doing it's thing. When I get home I will fire away and if it doesn't die fairly quickly we have working AC power.

Oct 31, 2013 at 03:18 PM
vraspa
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

According to owners manual the recycle times should be 4.5 seconds for a full power flash with ac and 10.5 with AA's. I found that the purpose of the dummy battery that I described earlier is to reduce the AA power to just enough voltage necessary to operate the ready light and accessory light on the side dial when using higher voltage power sources.

Oct 31, 2013 at 03:45 PM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

I use 284hvs all the time gotta love that capacitor noise

Oct 31, 2013 at 04:30 PM
curryphoto
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

They should be fine triggering via PW's (however I would check with the mfgr). I think the danger comes when mounting them directly to your hot shoe on the newer DSLR's. I've heard of them frying the cameras triggering circuit.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Tom Spader
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

Ok I fired a zillion double flashes last night with no issues. The recycle times with just AA was long about 10 sec, maybe less. Plugged in to AC the recycle was cut to least in half. So I must have lucked out with not having the issues mentioned earlier.

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:53 AM
vraspa
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Vivatar 283 w/ vari-power and AC

Yes Tom, it seems that you got one that works, NOW how much do you want for it?

Nov 01, 2013 at 09:10 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.