Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

Opinions requested re: processing, too much. What about leaving the grass on the bottom, removing or burning more and any other suggestions appreciated.

Oct 31, 2013 at 06:25 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

I like it overall. I wonder if darkening a couple of those branches that got a little hot might help. I think the grass should stay, helps add a bit of depth and doesn't detract from the photo IMHO. - Paul

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

A few things catch my attention.

Brightest tonal value areas seem to be areas of non-interest. Not sure if that is weathering patterns or D&B decisions, but they draw my eye and I wonder why I'm draw there.

The TRC roof seems sharper than the front of the building. Same @ bg trees and maybe fg grass. Again, not sure @ natural lighting variance vs. pp induced. Nits of course, but they catch my attention while I'm on nit alert.

Tough lighting I'm sure @ backlit to have specular light @ roof, soft light @ front of the building. You may be near the limits of what you can do on the front, and need to dial back those areas in the specular light so they don't try to steal the show or tug us away by virtue or more contrast/sharp comparatively. Again, nits.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

I changed the crop slightly most notably at the top of the schoolhouse, yes, no.

Thanks Paul, yes I agree and have now done some burning on the brightest branches.

Kent, it was a preset in Silver Efex2 ( Pinhole ) which I adjusted to my liking, no dodging or burning. I feel the door needs to be lightened in strategic areas because that is an area of interest. My thoughts are the lightest areas draw me through the trees and pull me to the building. While there is not one part of the image I am drawn to, it is the overall character in the Old Schoolhouse which attracts my attention.

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

Gotcha @ overall vibe.

The crop helps, maybe even a bit more off the top (just below the bright roof area).

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:35 PM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

RustyBug wrote:
Gotcha @ overall vibe.

The crop helps, maybe even a bit more off the top (just below the bright roof area).

How would you feel about REALLY taking some off the top and cropping to just about the apex of the doorframe?

You'd still keep the schoolhouse/doorway as the main focal point and those branches would do a good job of framing to boot.

.edit Super quick and dirty:

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:55 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

Thanks Kent

Beavens, I don't mind cropping tighter but I think I would like to keep the height of the schoolhouse and would lean toward something in between my crop and yours. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted my vision of crop based on suggestions.

Oct 31, 2013 at 08:32 PM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

Getting rid of the sky totally won me over. I definitely like your crop better as well.

Night and day comparison to your original posting imo.

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

Beavers I think I will leave the peak and try cloning branches over the bright sky and roof area. At least I will try some experimentation.

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:15 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

Oregon Gal - I like the original crop with the peak included. Cutting off the tops of buildings seems wrong to me.

Looking at it on my uncalibrated laptop, the roof in the upper right appears to be in color (brownish, 20% saturation?) when the rest of the image is not (0% saturation). Maybe I'm seeing things funny? Lower left behind the house seems the same way.

Also, I'd suggest some darkening of the bright branches that are right in the center between the doorway and the peak of the building.

This looks like a cool old building. Lots of possibility!

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:46 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

Yes, I noticed that on this last version I did not darken the bright branches and I think I will leave the peak but clone in some additional branches. The areas you talked about that have saturation were burned so I presume the color came from that, will have to look into that. Thank you for pointing it out.

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:31 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

I just popped in to see this, but the one thing that jumped out at me was the canting of the building,,it seems to be leaning backwards to the right..But thats just me,,i prefer the second version! I don't think you need the whole building, including the top in to,,the second also makes me feel more like I'm there and can knock on that door! The branches in the last version seem more distracting to me!!

Nov 01, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

It's partly an optical illusion since it was shot on a slight angle but I am sure it can be adjusted via the warp or perspective tool. The 2nd and last version crop are almost identical but I think the difference you're seeing is in the increase of overall brightness of the image which may not work well on this particular image. I adjusted tonal values for printing as I know it will print slightly darker I appreciate your thoughts.

EDITED TO INCLUDE PIC

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:37 PM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

Barbara, the differences may be subtle, but I really find your updated image to be much more engaging than the original.

The branches do a great job of directing my eyes down towards the front of the building and door.

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Old Abandoned Schoolhouse

It always boils down to those small final adjustments to improve the image just choosing the right crop and trying to correct distortion. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password