Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Cicopo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Yesterday I had the good fortune to buy an as new 300 f2.8 L IS and today I found myself walking around the yard with all that weight hanging from my neck through a pair of quick release snaps. As soon as I realized what I was doing I grabbed the camera & carried it before something unthinkable took place. The lens has lugs for a strap but it didn't include one so I'm asking for some advice on a decent method to carry all that weight via a shoulder / neck style strap. (my preferred strap right now is a Crumpler Industry Disgrace modified to with Op Tech quick connects & lower straps).

Oct 30, 2013 at 08:39 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Congrats on the 300, its a beautiful lens. I have the following strap on my 300 and its a very nice dependable strap, on sale right now to boot!! (Credit goes to PetKal for recommendation):

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lens-wide-strap-b

It was not clear from your post, but do not use the camera or camera strap with the lens this heavy, the lens mount can get damaged.

Oct 30, 2013 at 08:46 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Congratulations on the fine lens you've got, Larry.......one of Canon's finest, no doubt about that.

Let me reiterate what Aditya suggested.......the new Canon wide lens strap is IMO the safest and the most comfortable solution for heavy Canon lenses.
All of my long lenses have one now, from 200 f/1.8 to 800L.

Oct 30, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Thanks. I certainly value Peter's opinion but like him I'm in Canada so the sale might not apply. As for relying on the camera's lens mount to carry all that weight it's been just fine for the 5 minutes I did it before smartening up. It won't be doing it any more.
How wide is the wide section of the strap?

Oct 30, 2013 at 08:59 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Go for a Black Rapid Strap: http://www.blackrapid.com/community/videos/?id=15#15

Just attach to the lens tripod mount instead of the camera. Why have the weight around your neck when you can have it over a shoulder?

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Hi Larry,

About the heaviest camera that I hang around my neck (actually the only one, usually) is my Fuji X100s. The X100s weighs about the same as the Don Zeck cap that you'll soon get for your new 300/2.8 L IS. (see the links to "Tips, etc...", below).

For me, anything heavier than a chubby chipmunk, hangs off a shoulder, on a Donke Gripper strap. Not around my sweet neck.

Normally, I carry my 300/2.8 L IS or 500/4 L IS "in arms", "over the shoulder" on a monopod, or in a backpack (on the way to where I'm goin').

A couple of months ago, I bought an Upstrap Large pad camera strap HD release, with kevlar webbing thingys (+ spare set of kevlar thingys). Since then, I've been pleased with how well my 500/4L IS fits and feels with the UpStrap - on the shoulder, or "over the shoulder" (i.e. diagonally across the torso). After shipping, tax and etc, it cost me about $100 (one Lg pad cam strap HD release with kevlar webbing + spare kevlar webbing). That's expensive compared to my Grippers, and compared to most anything 'strappy', but I think it's worth every penny for a heavy lens strap. OTOH, the Canon "heavy lens strap" that was included with your 300/2.8L IS (in its original shipping configuration), is also a good solution.

On the UpStrap, my 300/2.8L IS feels like a feather. Lighter, because it's digital.

Links:
Tips, techniques and accessories for handholding a 500mm... https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1197703/0#11421322
Long lens accessories: our favourites https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183081/0#11280483

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:16 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

The cushioned pad section of the Canon strap is 5.5 cm at its widest, and the pad is about 60 cm long.

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:17 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Trust me when I say it's not going to be around my neck very often but I was looking for a bird or squirrel to shoot as a test. I rarely hang anything from my neck but that's where it was & why I came to my senses. (didn't see a single bird or anything else worth shooting this afternoon even though the geese were in the far end of the field across the street. I'll look at everything suggested but I'm not inclined to use anything that only uses a tripod mount thread as it's point of attachment. I've been a mechanic way too long to trust a single fastener of any kind to protect my gear.

Edited to add that it came with a very nice 3rd party lens cap but I don't know the brand but will check. The original strap is gone but it came with the case, hood & bag plus keys for the case & I've looked pretty carefully & can't find a single paint chip even where the hood attaches. AF snaps in instantly too. I've ordered the 2X ver lll to go with it because that's why I bought it.

Edited on Oct 30, 2013 at 09:36 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Stupid birds!

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:32 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

I'll get some bird shots soon because it's time to put my feeder up again. This morning when the light was crap there were Cardinals & Cedar Waxwings out there plus at least one Chipmunk (he should be in hibernation by now) plus lots of Chickadees. Get the camera out & they all disappear.

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Cicopo wrote:
... Get the camera out & they all disappear.

Exactly. Stupid birds!

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

With it being hunting season locally maybe they're smart birds. Lots of shotgun blasts locally these days. We had a group of hunters working the field right across the street last Friday, Sat & Sunday. For all their work & time I doubt they got 1 goose each.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EwYq69DMGEM/Umpy50a89zI/AAAAAAABKEo/j9Vb34GZpj4/w1024-h680-no/INGR8637.JPG

That's right across the street & those are decoys they set up well before sunrise (my wife woke me up to tell me hunters were using their headlights to shoot the geese). I went back to sleep but did look when I got up.

Lens cap that came with the lens is from Don Zeck & includes a couple of spare rubber rings.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Cicopo wrote:
Lens cap that came with the lens is from Don Zeck & includes a couple of spare rubber rings.

You're in the zone. All you need is a strap,perhaps an 'uppity' strap...

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Cicopo wrote:
... We had a group of hunters working the field right across the street last Friday, Sat & Sunday. For all their work & time I doubt they got 1 goose each.

I guess they didn't think to reach down and grab one - go gooses!

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

When I think of the hours they spent setting up & knocking down, plus the value of the decoys & gear (not the trailer or truck) & 4 wheeler I think they could have bought a lot of Turkeys when they were on sale at 1/2 price for Thanksgiving. The funny thing is that every day the local fields fill up with 1000's of geese later in the day if the corn has been harvested. That was the only field that had been harvested so far so it was very busy in the afternoons.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Cicopo wrote:
I'll look at everything suggested but I'm not inclined to use anything that only uses a tripod mount thread as it's point of attachment.

Interesting, since Canon designed the 300 f2.8 tripod collar to attach to monopods and tripods with a single mount thread. Also, it is pretty easy to attach straps from the collar lugs to the Black Rapid connector in addition to the tripod collar.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Good point Tony & I'll be using it on my monopods but I won't be carrying it slung over my shoulder. Simply put I've repaired way too many pulled threads / broken bolts over the years to trust going that route. I tend to go a bit overboard with safety chains / straps when lifting bodies off their frames or engines from cars & even more so when re installing.

Oct 31, 2013 at 07:15 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

I'm not sure that you completely got Tony's suggestion. In addition to using the threaded connector in the tripod collar, you can use Kevlar (or similar) loops in the strap lugs which can be connected to the strap. This provides a fail safe in the unlikely event that the threaded connector becomes unscrewed.

A forum search will yield several discussions with some creative solutions. Here is one such thread, and post #9 illustrates the solution described above.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1238132

Oct 31, 2013 at 07:40 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Imagemaster wrote:
Go for a Black Rapid Strap: http://www.blackrapid.com/community/videos/?id=15#15

Just attach to the lens tripod mount instead of the camera. Why have the weight around your neck when you can have it over a shoulder?

This. I carry my 500/4 with it or my sigma 120-300OS. I walk for miles and miles with little discomfort.

Oct 31, 2013 at 08:08 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Suggestions for 1 series body & 300 f2.8 L IS strap set up.

Whatever strap you decide on, I submit that it would be worth your while to explore BushHawk, if you don't already know about it. Very little extra weight, and it lets you hold the camera/lens much steadier to shoot. Endorsement: Trenchmonkey uses one.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:59 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.