FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · software advice wanted please

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · software advice wanted please

mike.way wrote:
I have used Aperture now since version 1. I have also used Photoshop (6) and Lightroom(5). Used the Gimp when I couldn't afford anything else. I have sampled and tested a fair chunk of the software listed.

The thing is, I always come back to Aperture. It is updated nicely to currently camera versions, a wide variety of plug-ins are available. It prints well. Simple to use and to grow with.

If you like and buy it, I recommend the Nik software plugins; especially Define (noise), Vivesa (general PP) and perhaps the HDR pug-in also. Recently added an app called Intensity to
...Show more

thanks..I'm waiting on AP v3.5 to add D610 to supported list....You had me at "The thing is, I always come back to Aperture. It is updated nicely to currently camera versions, "...everything past that is farble garble to me

Nov 02, 2013 at 04:41 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · software advice wanted please

mike.way wrote:
If you like and buy it, I recommend the Nik software plugins; especially Define (noise), Vivesa (general PP) and perhaps the HDR pug-in also.
Mike

Since Google bought out Nik, you can't buy individual plugins, it is the whole Nik package or nothing, but the price is better.

Brian A

Nov 02, 2013 at 07:19 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · software advice wanted please

hugowolf wrote:
Since Google bought out Nik, you can't buy individual plugins, it is the whole Nik package or nothing, but the price is better.

Brian A

IMHO - Nik & L/R are the only way to go.

Nov 02, 2013 at 07:39 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · software advice wanted please

IMO, LR is way way too slow and Nik products are absolutely not the best!

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:03 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · software advice wanted please

Bifurcator wrote:
IMO, LR is way way too slow and Nik products are absolutely not the best!

I don't have any problems with L/R nor NIK. Different strokes for different folks.........

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · software advice wanted please

No, slow is slow and 1+1=2. Simple as that. Glad you are not having "problems" with it tho… that would be something else for me to add to the cons if you were.

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Lutefisker
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · software advice wanted please

Bifurcator wrote:
IMO, LR is way way too slow ....

I recently emailed Nik about the slowness of Color Efex and their response included insuring most recent driver for the video card, disabling GPU processing (in settings), or running in safe mode. Because I'm in the process of moving to a new computer I'm going to wait, but perhaps there is a fix for the slowness you're experiencing.

Cheers,
Rick

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:13 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · software advice wanted please

Lutefisker wrote:
I recently emailed Nik about the slowness of Color Efex and their response included insuring most recent driver for the video card, disabling GPU processing (in settings), or running in safe mode. Because I'm in the process of moving to a new computer I'm going to wait, but perhaps there is a fix for the slowness you're experiencing.

Cheers,
Rick

They want you to DISABLE the GPU? That's utterly counter intuitive. As for LR and slowness, I join Bif in the minority report. Even throwing massive horsepower at LR doesn't make it as fast as Aperture. I'm seriously thinking about going back to AP but am waiting to see if Apple does anything with the launch of the nMP.

Robert

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:36 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · software advice wanted please

Bifurcator wrote:
No, slow is slow and 1+1=2. Simple as that.

No, not as simple as that. One is an arithmetic rule and the other is a perception. How do you quantify "slow"?

"Slow" has a lot to do with use and expectations. What is unacceptably slow for you may be just fine for others. I use LR and NIK on a MOTR computer without problems.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · software advice wanted please

No, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's not a perception - I've timed it, it's math!
In the case of Nik there is feature count and result quality which I have also compared and tested, so again math not perception.

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:07 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · software advice wanted please

Bifurcator wrote:
No, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's not a perception - I've timed it, it's math!

Well, would you care to give the numbers (and units)?

Bifurcator wrote:
In the case of Nik there is feature count and result quality which I have also compared and tested, so again math not perception.

No, that would not be math, that would definately be perception, which is all one could hope for in that case.

Brian A

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · software advice wanted please

a) I have listed them here before.

b) 3 features vs 7 features or 5 controls vs 1 control is math. Result quality is also mathematical - if it's not you need to inform the techs at DxO of your new findings.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:59 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.