Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

software advice wanted please

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · software advice wanted please

I'm a newbie in PP. Just got a Nikon D610 and loaded the supplied NX2 s/w and it immediately became painfully obvious I needed a laptop upgrade. So I decided on an Apple MacPro 15" Retina. I was thinking about installing the Nikon ViewNX2 for proprietary simplicity (keeping in mind the operative word being newbie). Since I'm starting from scratch is there a better choice for me to use on the MAC? I really want to KISS and not have to use one app for transferring files to another for editing, converting, exporting, whatever all this entails. I like the fact that the ViewNX2 mirrors the in camera settings to allow me the ability to fine tune settings that just weren't captured as accurately as possible from mine and the cameras decisions. Help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM
CreativeStudio
• •
p.1 #2 · software advice wanted please

Lightroom all the way. Download the free trial here

Lightroom should run like a champ on your Retina MBP.

Gerald

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #3 · software advice wanted please

cool..I'll check it out, thanks

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Lutefisker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · software advice wanted please

You'll find strong opinions about several options (I use and really like Apple Aperture). Altho it takes some time, it's probably worthwhile to test drive several options. I highly recommend testing at least Lightroom and Aperture.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #5 · software advice wanted please

ok, LR looks great, but Aperature says it's newly optimized for the Retina model...Question: are you better off getting an app that's proprietary optimized for the camera (Nikon ViewNX2) or the laptop (Aperature) in my case? I don't care that the Nikon sw is free, cost is inconsequential. I just want to be sure the darn thing runs troublefree without unnecessary glitches. I just have no experience with any of this stuff thanks!

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #6 · software advice wanted please

Some people will argue that the RAW converter differs between different software programs (of course this is only an issue if you shoot RAW (v. jpeg)). It seems to me that it's more important to use software that is intuitive for you.

To me, Aperture and Lightroom stand out in their utility to organize images and perform much of the processing that most people are interested in doing. Aperture also has several plug-ins (e.g., Nik software) and I presume Lightroom does as well. Download their trial software and see what makes sense for you.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · software advice wanted please

Kell wrote:
Since I'm starting from scratch is there a better choice for me to use on the MAC?
Help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Almost all of these have free timed trial versions you can download in order to evaluate their use for yourself:

Aperture - Download / Site - Good/average but a little slow, OS X only AFAIK.
CaptureOne Pro - Download / Site - Probably the best there is.
The Gimp - Download / Site - The last 2 or 3 point releases are excellent!
CinePaint - Download / Site - Very powerful but used to have stability problems on Mac/Win - I dunno current.
PS Plugins 4 Gimp - Download / Site - Haven't tried it but used similar for LightWave3D which worked well!
Matlab - Download / Site - Excellent but very technical and not good for photo editing.
PaintShop Pro - Download / Site - Excellent tool but same experience a lot of crashes.
Photo Impact - Download / Site - I have no experience with this one.
AfterShot Pro - Download / Site - Extremely promising but needs a few bug fixes!
Pixelmator - Download / Site - Sexy and fun but I dunno if I would base a workflow on it with no 16bit support.
GraphicConverter - Download / Site - Excellent but better for web and game graphics than photography, OS X only AFAIK.
RAW Therapee - Download / Site - Haven't really tested any of the latest versions.
ImageJ - Download / Site - Never used it but it looks like a web and game tool not really a photo editor.
PhotoLine - Download / Site - Excellent, I dunno why I don't use it more.
PhotoShop Elements - Download / Site - Scaled Down cheaper version of Photoshop.
PhotoShop CC - Download / Site - Excellent, this is what I use most, that and CS6.
LightRoom - Download / Site - Scaled down Photoshop with workflow streamlines GUI.
Acorn - Download / Site - Very simple features - I never used it - it's supposed to be fast.
AVS Photo Editor - Download / Site - I dunno but older versions were OK-ish - no Mac.
ACDSee Pro - Download / Site - Excellent but not worth the asking price IMO!
F-Spot - Download / Site - Excellent, there may be Mac or Windows compiles of it.
PhotoStudio - Download / Site - Excellent but I haven't used it all that much.
Silkypix Dev Studio - Download / Site - I think excellent but I only really feature-checked it.
ArtRage Studio Pro - Download / Site - Excellent unique PSD compatible editor - no RAW support last I checked.
Photogenics - Download / Site - Raw support but mostly just good for HDRI editing.
Photo Mechanic - Download / Site - Excellent, simple editing, good cataloging.
DigiKam - Download / Site - Looks excellent, it's strengths are DB interfacing and organizing.
Erdas Imagine - Download / Site - Never used it the dox say it's good for geospatial image processing and analysis.
Krita - Download / Site - Haven't used it much.
PhotoPerfect - Download / Site Never used it before.
Photo Plus - Download / Site - It's supposed to be good, <shrug>
Zoner Photo Studio - Download / Site - Excellent, shareware.
Project DogWaffle - Download / Site - Awesome but really more of an animator's paintbox than a photo editor.
UF-Raw - Download / Site - I've heard of this but never tried it.
RawStudio - Download / Site - Beats me, looks worth trying.
DxO Optics Pro - Download / Site - Excellent, very structured workflow.
Forografix - Download / Site - Ultra simplistic, pretty average results.
Photo Filtre - Download / Site - Looks very powerful, Windows only.
Paint.NET - Download / Site - Windows only I think. Looks nice.
Photo Ninja - Download / Site - Looks OK... I have no experience with it yet.

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:12 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #8 · software advice wanted please

Wow, just WOW! my nomination for reply post of the year, thanks!

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:26 AM
blob loblaw
• •
p.1 #9 · software advice wanted please

i think that's the same as 'alternate to photoshop' list :P

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:08 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #10 · software advice wanted please

Your Mac will actually come with iPhoto, which can handle raw files. I think it's more aimed at non-serious photographers, but can't really say as I've never used it. It came with my Mac but I never installed it.

Adobe Lightroom is the industry standard, and Aperture is an alternative.

The thing to understand about the Mac software world is that old OS versions get desupported at around 2-4 years of age, but it tends to be cheap or free to update the OS. This is different from the Windows world, where you buy the machine, often can't get driver support for new OS versions, but MS push out security updates for a decade. Apple don't. You upgrade the OS or you get left behind and the machine is not safe for online use. Apple also deprecates and removes APIs, which means old programs break!

Unfortunately the Japanese photo manufacturers, including Nikon, Epson and Canon, don't always update their Mac software in a timely way, or sometimes at all. The software for my Nikon scanner hasn't run on current OS X versions for years. It means you'd need a second computer to do Internet banking etc.

Adobe software does not pick up camera settings even when they're in the raw file, for Canon not even the white balance.

Raw conversion algorithms are well known and common to almost all digital cameras (Fuji and Samsung being exceptions) so Nikon does not have any advantage in coding their software. But Adobe can do it once for all cameras, so better.

If you do use Adobe software, use the "Camera" profiles, not "Adobe Standard", so your colours match the JPEGs.

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · software advice wanted please

blob loblaw wrote:
i think that's the same as 'alternate to photoshop' list :P

Yeah, this is the third or forth thread I've placed my list in now.

Nov 01, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #12 · software advice wanted please

melcat wrote:
Your Mac will actually come with iPhoto, which can handle raw files. I think it's more aimed at non-serious photographers, but can't really say as I've never used it. It came with my Mac but I never installed it.

Adobe Lightroom is the industry standard, and Aperture is an alternative.

The thing to understand about the Mac software world is that old OS versions get desupported at around 2-4 years of age, but it tends to be cheap or free to update the OS. This is different from the Windows world, where you buy the machine, often can't get driver support for
...Show more

guess I don't understand some of this...your MAC came with iPhoto but you have to install it, or do you mean it comes installed but you haven't used it?

" It means you'd need a second computer to do Internet banking etc."
I'll need to update something in a couple years or so or won't be able to get to Internet Banking?

I think I'll just buy the latest 3.5 Aperature version as it is optimized for Retina...are jpegs supposed to look the same when I import them from my D610..or will there be some 'weirdness' going on...? sorry, just haven't had anything but Windows before and Nikon ViewNX2, everything was transparent/seamless and worked

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:05 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #13 · software advice wanted please

Kell wrote:
Wow, just WOW! my nomination for reply post of the year, thanks!

Yep, Bif is "Master of the List" and as he notes this is its 3rd (4th?) iteration. Nice job, Bif.

Kell, assuming you will take a significant number of pix and that you want to venture into shooting and developing RAW pix, you will need some kind of DAM (digital asset manager) that allows you to modify your pictures to meet what your eye demands of them. iPhoto does this at a limited level.

Both Lightroom and Aperture are powerful tools (and do have learning curves) that allow for the use of 3rd party plugins to enhance their capabilities. I've used both programs extensively and - for me - Aperture is the superior program. As a professional I moved to Lr because I became concerned that Apple was going to stop supporting/developing Aperture. It now appears - and this is all rumor - that Apple intends to upgrade Aperture with the release of the new Mac Pro. What (and if) this means is unclear. Lightroom is perfectly competent and there are many weeks I run 3-4K photos thru it. Still I think Aperture's interface, speed, and unitary approach is superior. It also is much easier to work EXIF data, again IMHO.

Both have 30 day trials and since you are at the beginning I'd suggest you take a subset of your photos (or maybe shoot a bunch of practice photos with your new camera and download them twice thru each of the trials and pick the one you want. Camera maker's proprietary RAW conversion programs really don't offer the functionality you will need as you improve.

Glad you found your way here and have fun,

Robert

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #14 · software advice wanted please

thanks, truly appreciate the help here..pretty intimidating transition but knew I could rely on this great group of forum members to help ease it...think since iPhoto is installed for free I'll give it a shot before advancing...it handles basic RAW editing/conversion, etc., similar to the free Nikon ViewNX2 I began with...at least transitioning from jpeg to RAW processing should be a huge improvement, then advance to something more robust...baby steps I'll be posting some results with C&C appreciated soon

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:12 PM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #15 · software advice wanted please

Kell wrote:
guess I don't understand some of this...your MAC

It's "Mac"; a "MAC" is a hardware-level Ethernet address.

came with iPhoto but you have to install it, or do you mean it comes installed but you haven't used it?

It may come installed or you may have to download it (in the past, load from DVD).

I'll need to update something in a couple years or so or won't be able to get to Internet Banking?

It's not so much that you won't be able to "get to", although that could happen, but the bad guys would be able to "get at" your machine because you weren't up to date with the equivalent of "Patch Tuesday" patches. In the Mac world, those generally stop 2 versions on, so when 10.6 came out 10.4 became unsupported. I have also had a system for which Apple stopped updating the root certificates - in my case, I could not access billing systems from a phone company and a tollway in a secure manner. I had to buy the next version (I think it was 10.5 to 10.6.)

So count on upgrading the OS every 2 years at least.

The latest upgrade, 10.9 "Mavericks", is free - but I cannot put it on my photo processing machine because the colour management software for my (Japanese) monitor won't run under it yet.

are jpegs supposed to look the same when I import them from my D610..or will there be some 'weirdness' going on...? sorry, just haven't had anything but Windows before and Nikon ViewNX2, everything was transparent/seamless and worked

If you are shooting JPEG it should be the same file.

Nov 02, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #16 · software advice wanted please

ok, thanks..just me being ignorant, I know zero about Apple/MAC products (unless they're caramel coated or served with fries and a shake) ...knew I had to upgrade, MAC had great reviews for photographers so I zeroed in on em'..used Windows my whole life, figured good time to try something new/better perhaps...wasn't aware they were so different than any ole other computers

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:23 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #17 · software advice wanted please

Kell wrote:
thanks, truly appreciate the help here..pretty intimidating transition but knew I could rely on this great group of forum members to help ease it...think since iPhoto is installed for free I'll give it a shot before advancing...it handles basic RAW editing/conversion, etc., similar to the free Nikon ViewNX2 I began with...at least transitioning from jpeg to RAW processing should be a huge improvement, then advance to something more robust...baby steps I'll be posting some results with C&C appreciated soon

I wouldn't. It is a quick and dirty program and has in the past really messed with color space tagging and embedding. If you are in for the long haul, then Aperture or Lightroom would be the way to go, and as soon as possible.

I had resisted until a few years ago, and then had to go through some 30k of images: An extremely tedious process. It is really worth starting with a good DAM, as soon as you can.

Brian A

Nov 02, 2013 at 06:16 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #18 · software advice wanted please

Sign up for the Adobe Photographers creative cloud package this will give you lightroom and photoshop at a good price plus some bonus stuff.

Nov 02, 2013 at 03:06 PM
mike.way
• • •
p.1 #19 · software advice wanted please

I have used Aperture now since version 1. I have also used Photoshop (6) and Lightroom(5). Used the Gimp when I couldn't afford anything else. I have sampled and tested a fair chunk of the software listed.

The thing is, I always come back to Aperture. It is updated nicely to currently camera versions, a wide variety of plug-ins are available. It prints well. Simple to use and to grow with.

If you like and buy it, I recommend the Nik software plugins; especially Define (noise), Vivesa (general PP) and perhaps the HDR pug-in also. Recently added an app called Intensity to the library and use it as external editor with Aperture; it allows layers and blending.

YMMV,
Mike

Nov 02, 2013 at 07:41 PM
tuthill
• •
p.1 #20 · software advice wanted please

mike.way wrote:
Recently added an app called Intensity to the library and use it as external editor with Aperture; it allows layers and blending.

YMMV,
Mike

What exactly is this "Intensity" that you referred to?

Thanks.

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password