Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

Funny that you just posted this pole. Last week I wrote a blog post as to why I think the Canon 7D is a great wildlife camera (see link if you're curious: http://btleventhal.com/bruceleventhal/2013/10/27/gear-the-canon-7d-our-wildlife-cameras ). I came to this conclusion for a number of reasons.

1. I have had and sold 7D bodies since their introduction (now on my 5th). This means that there is something that I must just like about them.
2. When I upgraded my wife's 40D, I bought her a 7D. This was following a trip to Kenya (2010) where I used my 7D for everything but landscapes. See East Africa portfolio... initial picture will show you the type of detail that can be captured with the camera.
3. I just returned from Costa Rica (trip #8) and during that trip I shot exclusively with my 5D mark iii. While the 5D mark iii has amazing AF, if you don't have (or don't want to carry) a 500mm f4.0, you will be focal length limited and will crop to make the most of the shot. By the time you crop, your resolution will be well below that of a 7D w/ or without converters.
4. I purchased my second 1D mark iii, thinking... better than the 7D... after spending another month with that camera, I decided that I'd rather have a lighter body with higher resolution than the 10 fps.
5. Budget... the 7D, while not disposable, is relatively cheap and you can have multiple for the price of a 5D mark iii or 1DX.

Just for clarification... between my wife and I, we have two 7D's, a 5D mark iii, and a Fuji X100. While a 1Dx would be great, short of someone designing a compact 500mm f4.0, the 7D paired with my 300 f2.8IS (and converters) and the other with a 100-400L IS seems to suite us well.

Look through the wildlife shots on my site... 90% were made with 7D's ( http://btleventhal.com )
regards,
bruce

Nov 03, 2013 at 05:17 PM
kbarrera
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

BNJarrett wrote:
I currently have 2 7D gripped. I shoot half wedding and paid work, and half wildlife. I am thinking of skipping 5 D mark III and going straight to the top. 5DMKIII would be perfect for weddings, but leaving me wanting more out of my 7D for wildlife.

I have a 500mm F4, 100-400, and a 70-200 as my main wildlife lens.

OK,, go,, let the voting and debate begin.

Thanks in advance!
Kent

The fact that the 1D Mark IV is not listed, makes this thread irrelevant. Just the 10 FPS puts in right behind the 1dx.
Anyone who has ever tracked a BE across a background of trees, rocks, water etc. only to watch it turn suddenly to take a fish knows what I'm talking about.
Just Sayin

ps it's built like a tank

Al

Nov 03, 2013 at 05:40 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

Honestly, if you lined up well taken shots from all the listed cameras on this post you would be hard pressed to tell what camera took what shot.

Thank you for a refreshing note of sanity in yet another crazy "which camera should I buy" thread.

John

Nov 03, 2013 at 05:45 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

I believe the thread says "wildlife". Your statement may be true, as long as what you're shooting stays still.
I have three trucks. An F-150, an F-250 and a Tacoma. Now, while the 150 can move the same amount of lumber on its racks to a job, the 250 is much better suited to move large heavy loads. It's just that simple. The Tacoma is just for looks.
No one could possibly convince me that a 7d will track a moving Falcon in low light and produce the same amount of "keepers" as a 1dx or 1d mark IV with its focus systems and high FPS rates.

Al

Nov 03, 2013 at 06:24 PM
katanaphoto

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

Just get the best 1DX and you never regret you need the speed and low noise for birding.
I shoot with Nikon my self and I have several bodies but when it comes to shoot birds in action I always grab D4.
I see you are from Illinois as well so I guess I will see you at at Lock & Dam 14 one day great Bald Eagles spot in winter.
Good luck.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:20 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

best camera is the next pro camera to be released (1DX II, etc, etc)
All the current cameras including the 1DX will be junk when it is released

nah,

it is the camera in your hand

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Dave Kerr

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

kbarrera wrote:
The fact that the 1D Mark IV is not listed, makes this thread irrelevant. Just the 10 FPS puts in right behind the 1dx.
Anyone who has ever tracked a BE across a background of trees, rocks, water etc. only to watch it turn suddenly to take a fish knows what I'm talking about.
Just Sayin

ps it's built like a tank

Al

I agree, Al. I own a 7D and it simply isn't in the same category as a Mark IV or 1D-X.

Dave

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:22 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

Dave Kerr wrote:
I agree, Al. I own a 7D and it simply isn't in the same category as a Mark IV or 1D-X.

Dave

Thank You Dave !!!!!
At least someone around here has some common sense.

Al

Edited on Nov 05, 2013 at 07:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

A picture is ...

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:59 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

OwlsEyes wrote:
Funny that you just posted this pole. Last week I wrote a blog post as to why I think the Canon 7D is a great wildlife camera (see link if you're curious: http://btleventhal.com/bruceleventhal/2013/10/27/gear-the-canon-7d-our-wildlife-cameras ). I came to this conclusion for a number of reasons.

1. I have had and sold 7D bodies since their introduction (now on my 5th). This means that there is something that I must just like about them.
2. When I upgraded my wife's 40D, I bought her a 7D. This was following a trip to Kenya (2010) where I used my 7D for everything but landscapes.
...Show more

The images on your blog are very impressive. I have a 1DMkIV and 5DMkIII, but a couple months ago I "repurchased" a refurbished 7D. It's still a formidable package in the Canon line, especially when reach is paramount.

Brian M.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Dave Kerr

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

brimull wrote:
The images on your blog are very impressive. I have a 1DMkIV and 5DMkIII, but a couple months ago I "repurchased" a refurbished 7D. It's still a formidable package in the Canon line, especially when reach is paramount.

Brian M.

When reach is paramount, use a longer lens or a teleconverter, not a 1.6 crop camera body..

Nov 07, 2013 at 06:48 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

Dave Kerr wrote:
When reach is paramount, use a longer lens or a teleconverter, not a 1.6 crop camera body..

+10000

As I said in my previous post, I own all of these bodies (7D, 5D3, 1D4 and 1DX). The reach from the 7D because of increased pixels on the subject is good in theory and poor in reality. In Nikon land the pixel quality is better on the crop cameras and I think the pixels per duck can be compared more reliably to the FF cameras. In Canon land, the pixel quality and noise quality of the 7D pixels are not good enough to actually gain you any reach. I've done my own comparisons in real life wildlife shooting time and time again between the 7D and my other 3 cameras. Even when reach limited the 7D shows no advantage to cropping down the FF cameras. Eventhough you are putting way less pixels on the subject, the FF wins or at least ties in every case. Even the 1D4 pixel quality doesn't impress me that much but it is better than the 7D.

Nov 07, 2013 at 07:40 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

arbitrage wrote:
+10000

As I said in my previous post, I own all of these bodies (7D, 5D3, 1D4 and 1DX). The reach from the 7D because of increased pixels on the subject is good in theory and poor in reality. In Nikon land the pixel quality is better on the crop cameras and I think the pixels per duck can be compared more reliably to the FF cameras. In Canon land, the pixel quality and noise quality of the 7D pixels are not good enough to actually gain you any reach. I've done my own comparisons in real life wildlife shooting time
...Show more

I do not believe this is true, but if that's how you see it, that's fine. This thread might be more suitable on the gear forum. Anyway, I think the merits/demerits of the 7D has been discussed in many threads and generates unusually strong reactions, so I'll move on.

Brian M.

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

If it was money dependent though, and you could only have a maximum of 400mm, which would be the best for the money?
I've seen shot from a 5DIII with "only" a 300 2.8 and after the image was cropped the image was still very good, almost as good or better tham me shooting from the same spot using a 1DMkII and a 100-400. he was shooting at 800 ISo and I was shooting at 400 ISO.
I was really shocked. Also the price for a 5DIII and a used 1DMKIV with under 50,000 actuations is almost the same price.

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:32 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

I voted for the 1Dx and my second choice would be the 1D IV. I own and use the 1Dx, ID IV, 5D III and 7D. I would place the 7D at the bottom with the 5D III second last.

I sit in a blind and can lock onto branches the diameter of your thumb at 50ft with the 1Dx and the 1D IV. It's hit and mostly miss with the 5d III and 7D focusing on the same branches. Color rendition on the 1Dx beats them all and I don't see a difference in IQ between the 5D III and the 1Dx.

In my shooting situations, the only reason I would pick up the 5D III is that the silent continuos shutter doesn't scare the birds away. YMMV

Nov 09, 2013 at 01:15 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

mogud wrote:
I voted for the 1Dx and my second choice would be the 1D IV. I own and use the 1Dx, ID IV, 5D III and 7D. I would place the 7D at the bottom with the 5D III second last.

I sit in a blind and can lock onto branches the diameter of your thumb at 50ft with the 1Dx and the 1D IV. It's hit and mostly miss with the 5d III and 7D focusing on the same branches. Color rendition on the 1Dx beats them all and I don't see a difference in IQ between the 5D III
...Show more

Interesting, I've found the 5D3 to be fairly equal to the 1DX in accurate AF. I find the 1D4 would be harder to lock onto a small branch because the AF area for each rectangle is so much larger.

Nov 09, 2013 at 08:01 AM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

Thanks for all the input. I am happy to say that Christmas came earlier today! A jolly man in a big brown truck dropped a Canon 1DX this afternoon. Now I just hope my eye and skills can justify the camera!

Thanks!
Kent

Dec 18, 2013 at 08:39 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

Well, enjoy that new body Kent!! Looking forward to seeing the results.

Dec 18, 2013 at 08:46 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

BNJarrett wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I am happy to say that Christmas came earlier today! A jolly man in a big brown truck dropped a Canon 1DX this afternoon. Now I just hope my eye and skills can justify the camera!

Thanks!
Kent

Awesome Kent. You will not regret it. I love it when Santa makes some early stops to get the big kids out of the way

Dec 18, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Best Canon Wildlife camera

It may just be the new model coming out next year, which could be a 1D4/7D hybrid.

For now I would pick the 1D4.

Dec 18, 2013 at 09:47 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.