FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Malaysia recommendations

mholdef
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Malaysia recommendations

I will be visiting family in Singapore and would like to stop with my wife for a week in Malaysia to do some diving and beach relaxation. We're looking for a secluded hotel with few rooms and good comfort and decent food, with the opportunity to do some hiking and visiting local villages.

Can anyone recommend any great places that really stand out in unique locations, preferably that isn't too hard to get to from Singapore ?

We are looking at Tioman right now but are open to other ideas.

Thanks

Mark

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM
braam
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Malaysia recommendations

It is worth considering Perhentian islands toward the north east of the peninsula near Kota Bharu. Having traveled some in that part of the world while living in Sulawesi, we experienced the best underwater visibility at the Perhentians. Since its a bit off the beaten path it is quiet, but it takes a little more effort to get there.

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:46 PM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Malaysia recommendations

braam wrote:
It is worth considering Perhentian islands toward the north east of the peninsula near Kota Bharu. Having traveled some in that part of the world while living in Sulawesi, we experienced the best underwater visibility at the Perhentians. Since its a bit off the beaten path it is quiet, but it takes a little more effort to get there.

Thanks. My dive instructor mentioned Perhentian, in addition to Tioman, explaining being a bit harder to get to.

What I'm also looking for are some "special" places in terms of small hotels worth staying at if you have any suggestions.

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:54 PM
braam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Malaysia recommendations

Cannot really help - we are the backpacker type using low budget places.

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:07 PM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Malaysia recommendations

No problem, thanks anyway

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:11 PM
xelas
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Malaysia recommendations

Perhentians are two islands close to each other: Perhentian Besar and Perhentian Kecil. Most of accommodations are between budget and mid range as far as the commodity is concern. On Besar some bigger (take big with a hint of salt) lodges while on Kecil mostly smaller/budget oriented.
It is not so complicated to get there. You can fly to Kuala Terengganu or take a night train from Johor Bahru. Kuala Besut is where most of the boats departs to Perhentians.
I've been there 10 years ago and only snorkeling yet it is THE BEST spot I have seen so far (better then GBR even)! My nephew was diving there 2 years ago and he said it is better then Red Sea.
Be aware that this area is closed down between November and March/April (?) due to monsoon weather.

Oct 31, 2013 at 04:51 AM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Malaysia recommendations

Thanks

We plan to travel in May so should be OK

Oct 31, 2013 at 05:43 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.