New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Camera club outings

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera club outings

If you belong or have belonged to a local camera club do you find their outings to be useful? Some people really like the camaraderie, the guidance from more seasoned members, and photographing locations that perhaps they would have not known about before.

On the other hand some people don't care for the "herding" aspect and being on a schedule, and prefer to be able to explore by themselves and stop and start when and where they please.

I personally tend to be a loner, but I can see some benefits from going with a group.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera club outings

Might be worth a tag along for pickin' up some new shooting locations. I actually did just
that with the local Audubon Chapter...and it wasn't too painful. Funny bunch those birders.

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:25 PM
mirandamember
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera club outings

My guess is that any outing with trenchmonkey would be a blast -- but would likely involve bail money.

Oct 30, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera club outings

Or at least beer money...

Oct 30, 2013 at 03:53 PM
platscha
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera club outings

mark holmes of mark holmes photography started a great group in SD which is not even close to same now since he left but he is getting another one going from his web site
when out with others it seems to me you shoot more and you learn to look more, see things in a different light and lastly go places you might have never tried before

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera club outings

I generally go out with folks from the Photographic Guild of Nova Scotia (PGNS) once a year, or so, depending where they're going, of course. They introduced me to motorcycle racing at the Atlantic Motorsport Park (most excellent), and winter photography of zoo animals at Shubenacadie Wildlife Park (not so good - I don't like the cages).

I don't hang out with PGNS very often, because their main activity is photo competitions, which isn't my bag. OTOH, they're good, really good. PGNS was just awarded first place in the 2012-13 Photographic Society of America (PSA), Photojournalism (PJD) Interclub Competition, Group A.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera club outings

I havent gone out on 'photo' trips specifically, but I've gone on birding/wildlife trips with biologists and other field experts, which has yielded some excellent information (which has proven beneficial for my photography such as better understanding of wildlife behavior and identification), and locations that I would have otherwise not known about...I suspect the same benefit could be had with most any genre of shooting, I tend to be a lone shooter too, and prefer to go alone, but it helps to get outside perspective and experience once in a while too.

Nov 02, 2013 at 06:40 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.