Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       end
  

MILCs selling poorly relative to DSLRs
  
 
johnctharp
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · MILCs selling poorly relative to DSLRs


Access wrote:
The real question to ask is:
Why aren't newer entries into enthusiast photography field buying non-DSLRs?


I started with a second-hand T1i kit- and at today's prices with say a T3i, I'd have to spend far more to get that level of speed and functionality on a mirrorless kit. Size? Well, my EOS-M is hard enough to hold onto. And a quick perusal of E-mount, X-mount, or M43-mount lenses would quickly solidify my cost-oriented decision.



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:44 AM
ggreene
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · MILCs selling poorly relative to DSLRs


Paul Mo wrote:
It's crazy, but true. The 70-200 f2.8L IS II is the poser lens in my neck of the woods. I don't mean that bitterly, but as a truth. Humans are strange and complex, and ego does come into it.


I carry around 40 extra pounds with me everywhere I go. It definitely makes me look larger but I doubt anyone thinks I look more "pro" because of it.



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:47 AM
johnctharp
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · MILCs selling poorly relative to DSLRs


Paul Mo wrote:
It's crazy, but true. The 70-200 f2.8L IS II is the poser lens in my neck of the woods. I don't mean that bitterly, but as a truth. Humans are strange and complex, and ego does come into it.


First thing I'll do when I get mine is make it look not white. Lenscoat is one option, but I'd probably just tape it off and spray it down with some flat vinyl or other creative option.



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:53 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · MILCs selling poorly relative to DSLRs


Access wrote:
The real question to ask is:
Why aren't newer entries into enthusiast photography field buying non-DSLRs?

It's not the existing users (us) that matter as much as the new users.
You don't get a lot of them here anymore, but think back to the time when you were switching over. We were almost all there once. If today's mirrorless options existed back then, which would you choose?

Of all the people I know who have switched over (from using a smartphone or old compact digital camera to an enthusiast-type camera) in recent times, it's hard to remember even one who chose the mirrorless option.
...Show more

Well, seeing that quality mirrorless options (by quality I mean arguably or actually equal to cropped sensor) are such a new thing that they don't yet have mind share among those who "know" the DSLRs from Canon and Nikon (and maybe Sony and Pentax) are the "good cameras."

This new kind of camera is barely a year old!

Dan



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:53 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



ggreene
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · MILCs selling poorly relative to DSLRs


gdanmitchell wrote:
Well, seeing that quality mirrorless options (by quality I mean arguably or actually equal to cropped sensor) are such a new thing that they don't yet have mind share among those who "know" the DSLRs from Canon and Nikon (and maybe Sony and Pentax) are the "good cameras."

This new kind of camera is barely a year old!


I realize it is anecdotal evidence but I go to a ton of events every year and the cell phone camera's have wiped out the smaller systems. I rarely see any P+S's, mirrorless, 4/3rd, whatever. I see more iPad mini's lately then any of the other dedicated camera formats.



Nov 05, 2013 at 02:17 AM
Access
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · MILCs selling poorly relative to DSLRs


gdanmitchell wrote:
Well, seeing that quality mirrorless options (by quality I mean arguably or actually equal to cropped sensor) are such a new thing that they don't yet have mind share among those who "know" the DSLRs from Canon and Nikon (and maybe Sony and Pentax) are the "good cameras."

This new kind of camera is barely a year old!

Dan, I don't think this type of quality is the reason, people moving up can get the quality they want/need with a 5+ year old DSLR or an early-generation mirrorless.

I think part of it is that when compared to a smartphone, everything is far larger. And once you start bringing things like zooms into the picture, the size differences start to diminish.



Nov 05, 2013 at 09:32 PM
thw2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #7 · MILCs selling poorly relative to DSLRs


Access wrote:
I think part of it is that when compared to a smartphone, everything is far larger. And once you start bringing things like zooms into the picture, the size differences start to diminish.


Precisely. MILCs are smaller and lighter, yet holding these camera bodies with lenses attached is uncomfortable compared to DSLRs. Also, looking through an EVF is nowhere the same (and probably never) as looking through an OVF in terms of brightness, dynamic range and color.



Nov 06, 2013 at 01:39 AM
1       2       3              5      
6
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password