Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

stormhalvorsen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

I work for an image editing company and spend my daytime scanning negatives and prints and restoring damaged old photos. I have gotten used to calibrating my monitor at work with a Spyder.

But at home I never did before. When I bought my wide gamut HP LP2475W monitor a couple of years ago I simply configured it with settings found online and then did the display calibration in OSX. It has looked fine both in print and online. For instance photos I have exported from my MAC has looked just right on my iPad as well. Even on my phone the colors and brightness levels are at least almost consistent with my MAC.

Well, today I bought a Spyder 4 Elite, thinking that I better fine tune my settings perfectly since I'm thinking about exhibiting some photos soon.

I am somewhat shocked to see how absurdly far off the Spyder results are. I was expecting a small difference. But after calibration everything is extremely desaturated and light. I'm thinking that it cannot be right because I have a lot of dark photos and the histogram in Lightroom typically shows a lot of deep shadows but the only areas that look dark now are the ones that have shadow clipping and pure black. Now I typically will have to set the vibrance setting some 50% higher for it to look remotely right in Lightroom. This cannot be right.

So what to do? I realize that it takes time to get used to new settings. But this cannot be right. I have gone through the entire process a few times, with ambient light measurement, 6500k and 2.2gamma. Is there something obvious I'm missing? As you can tell I'm more of a Photoshop user than a system configurer.

Should I really reset the monitor first or work from my original settings? And how about the Mac's display panel? I seem to remember that Macs used to have 1.8 gamma and not 2.2 like the monitor but I guess that was years ago.

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:43 AM
Snead
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

I'm a Windows 7 Pro user and can't help you with a Mac but I've had this same HP 2475w monitor for several years and have never noticed a calibration problem using a Spider 3 Pro and Ver.402 software. I'm most critical of skin tones and they look very good on both my images and when I play BluRay movies.

I don't print often but sometime ago I had a custom profile made for the matte paper I use with my old Epson 2200 printer and the prints very closely match what I see on the monitor screen.

As for me, matching real life colors with the processed image I think that lies more with RAW image processing and color temperature.

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:36 AM
stormhalvorsen

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

Do you use the ambient light calibration as well as the on screen one? Some forums say that you should ignore the ambient light feature and only measure in a dark room.

There are several Spyder things I don't understand: in different web fora people say the have calibrated their display and then they list their monitor settings. But the Spyder doesn't change the monitor's settings. It asks you to factory reset the monitor and then does all the settings as a display profile on your computer. How then do people come up with these custom color settings for RGB values on their monitors? Mine are 255, 255, 255 after the reset and calibration.

Should I go back to my tweaked values and THEN make the display profile with the Spyder?

Also instructions say to reset the monitor. But there is also reference to contrast being turned up to 100%. The default is 80%. So do I reset it and then turn it back up to 100% before calibration? I had it at 100% before calibration and now at 80% everything looks muddy.

And what about Kelvin? The default is K6500 for the monitor. But it also has a separate sRGB setting. Is the K6500 setting better for Adobe RGB, which is what I use?

Nov 01, 2013 at 08:33 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

stormhalvorsen wrote:
Do you use the ambient light calibration as well as the on screen one? Some forums say that you should ignore the ambient light feature and only measure in a dark room.

There are several Spyder things I don't understand: in different web fora people say the have calibrated their display and then they list their monitor settings. But the Spyder doesn't change the monitor's settings. It asks you to factory reset the monitor and then does all the settings as a display profile on your computer. How then do people come up with these custom color settings for RGB values
...Show more

D65 has nothing to do with sRGB or Adobe RGB. The latter are color spaces and the former is the white balance setting.

What mode do you have the monitor in? native gamut? sRGB? AdobeRGB? For photo work native gamut is the best choice.

I'd try doing it without the ambient sensor and see what happens.

I have very limited MAC knowledge, but maybe somehow you are getting double profiles or the LUT loader is not working or something else is set wrong.

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:37 PM
stormhalvorsen

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

skibum5 wrote
D65 has nothing to do with sRGB or Adobe RGB. The latter are color spaces and the former is the white balance setting.

What mode do you have the monitor in? native gamut? sRGB? AdobeRGB? For photo work native gamut is the best choice.

Nevertheless the monitor's setting choices are 9300K, 6500K, Custom Color or sRGB. You can choose one of these and nothing else. Under Custom Color you can input RGB values. Each color defaults as 255.

Nov 02, 2013 at 05:09 AM
stormhalvorsen

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

OK, I have read several web tutorials and forums and have now redone everything with the ambient light measurement turned off. My old edidet images still look way off but I will probably have to come to terms with the fact that they are.

So I have some work ahead of me, reedoting a few years of photography work. Which is my own fault. I will do this in steps and only spend time to begin with on whatever I intend to have printed. If the results look good I will deal with the rest.

Thanks a lot for helping out!

Nov 02, 2013 at 01:12 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

stormhalvorsen wrote:
Nevertheless the monitor's setting choices are 9300K, 6500K, Custom Color or sRGB. You can choose one of these and nothing else. Under Custom Color you can input RGB values. Each color defaults as 255.

hmm that's pretty sketchy

I guess sRGB is it's sRGB emulation mode, probably the one to use for tv/movies/games and other non-color managed stuff.

I assume the rest all native gamut but one also pairs it with 9300K and one pairs is with D65 and one pairs it with user choice to set WB using R,G,B sliders, probably doesn't let you set it perfecly but it might make it closer.

For photo work I'd probably set it to D65 mode or custom mode and then use calibration to set the R,G,B sliders to get it as close to D65 as possible. Hard to say ahead of time which method would lead to a better overall calibration and profilability.

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

Some of the older calibration units used optical filters that tended to fade over time.

It happened on mine. Apparently the manufacturers are aware of the problem and most of the new designs use gelatin filters that are designed to last a lot longer.

That remains to be seen I guess, we need another year or two to see if that pans out.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Pictus

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

Look how TFTcentral got the best results from their unity http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:40 PM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

I have two suggestions for the OP. You mentioned that you routinely calibrate your work monitor using a Spyder. Since you appear to get good results with your calibration at work, why not use the same technique at home.

My second suggestion is to put several of the images that you have edited at home on a flash drive and view them on your work computer. If the images viewed at work look similar to the way they look at home with the Spyder calibration, then your calibration is likely okay.

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Zalllon
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

I agree returning the ambient light sensor off unless light in your room is very low, or do the calibration in a dark room with the ambient sensor turned on. Brightness calibration seems to be more of an issue than color calibration. I would definitely choose 6500 is my calibration beginning point. I know with my HP monitor I can't always get the brightness all the way down, so what I and up doing is adjusting the contrast therefore it works within the Spyder parameters.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:08 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

Pictus wrote:
Look how TFTcentral got the best results from their unity http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Are they still trying to calibrate wide gamut monitors with non-wide gamut capable probes without software that has wide gamut matrix compensation though or not?

I know they used to make a total mess of wide gamut monitor reviews since they used the wrong equipment to test them.

It sounds like they are still using a lacie pro, I believe that probe needs compensation to be applied when used on a wide gamut monitor, I wonder if the software they use does that. Maybe it does, but it would be worth looking into.

I know prad.de uses proper equipment.

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:21 PM
stormhalvorsen

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

To my surprise the results didn't look that different on my work monitor. So that's good!

I suppose the next logical step will be going to a nice printing company and making a proper print for comparison. I think I will have to do that before spending a hundred hours trying to restore the proper look for my photos that now all look horrible.

I still find the histograms for my photos a bit strange with a lot more deep shadow than what my eyes and I also have to do more comparisons of photos exported for web. It doesn't matter that they may be correct if all the world's browsers display them incorrectly.

Nov 06, 2013 at 04:28 AM
stormhalvorsen

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

This, by the way, is also a good read for beginning Spyder users: http://www.gamutprints.com/color-management/spyder-3-elite-settings/

As for the ambient measurement, I do have a very very dark room with two identical halogen desktop lamps at their lowest setting, pointed down and away from the screen. In theory I think the ambient measurement for my conditions would have been very helpful. But if the results are not trustworthy then I guess that may simply be because the Spyder's ambient light measurement isn't very good. Maybe.

Nov 06, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HP LP 2475W - Spyder calibration seems far off.

stormhalvorsen wrote:

I do that.

Nov 06, 2013 at 05:01 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.