Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Consolidating my hard drives (5 of them).

cwebster
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Consolidating my hard drives (5 of them).

tcphoto wrote:
I may be a bit simplistic but I pair hard drives so they are redundant and another dedicated to Time Machine. The images are in folders by Client or subject matter and filed chronologically. I also only keep the selects and weed out the other images. Why use the space for unusable files? It's like having a portfolio review and getting busted for using old or subpar images. The same can be said for my film files, only the select transparencies are kept.

Storage is so cheap these days that you don't have to throw anything away. I don't delete any RAW files except blank frames, pix of my feet, etc. I do not keep the exported TIFF and JPEG versions, because I can recreate them at any time (assuming LR still exists). I intend to migrate my data to new media as it is developed and to new software as it is developed.

And I redundant off-site backups.

<Chas>

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Consolidating my hard drives (5 of them).

cwebster wrote:
Storage is so cheap these days that you don't have to throw anything away.

Bare drives may be cheap but when dealing with 2-3TB and up keeping everything organised and accessible is not.

What I mean is that arrays and enclosures (not to mention backups) add to the cost - significantly.

If you have 8TB of RAW images how do you deal with that and backups economically - if you want all 8TB to be instantly accessible through your LR catalog?

The more data you have the more expensive your storage becomes particularly if you want it to be 'live'.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:46 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Consolidating my hard drives (5 of them).

Eight one-tb drives in USB3 enclosures cost far less than the camera body you used to shoot the photos or the new lens you bought.

Three sets of 2-TB raw drives in two 4-bay docks can be built up for less than $2,000. Two docks are local and on-line. The third set of drives is off-line, off site on a rotating basis.

Why is this so difficult to understand. The absolutely cheapest form of mass storage these days is 1- and 2-TB drives. To ensure backup integrity in almost any catastrophe you need no less than 3 copies of everything. Main, local backup (and whether you keep it on-line or off is up to you) and off site. Whether you use some kind of RAID or just a bunch of hard drives is up to how paranoid you feel about a single drive failure.

And, if you are a working pro, you can't afford not to have some solid proven backup system. And the parts are tax-deductible.

<Chas>

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michael White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Consolidating my hard drives (5 of them).

You should have an off site backup copy away from your regular backups which should live on two different systems a mirror of your raid stripe whichh is a backup of your working stripe or mirrow drive system not to mention the enternal ingest drive that you use on site for backing up at the shoot. Personally I take a near full card out and copy everything to a hyperspace drive as I shoot then the card is ejected and put back in a carrier so I know it is full I take an empty formatted card and insert it in a camera and I ready to shoot this is done overlapping as the card is being fled to the hyperspace drive I'm moving the new card to the camera. If I can I start a copy of the hyperspace drive to the external drive as I shoot otherwise it is done before teardown. Once back at the studio I take and add the cartel og with images to Lightroom master catalog if I had time after the shoot to build up the catalog and start working on the images if not the I do it at the studio before importing the catalog to the master catalog. Then the daily backups are done at night to be vent interference during the daily workflow then once a week the weekly backup happens and that is the first to head off site the once a month to once a quarter we add new drives to update capasities and take the oldest set offline

The thing about magnetic media it starts to degrade as soon as it is written and the more you rewrite the data the better chance you have of keeping it a lone time.

We also burn to disk at three points during the job active life. The first are the raw files that were copied from the cards to the hyperspace drive then again once the library module tasks are completed thing like keywording, rating and color coding the the final time is when the job is completed and all deliveries have been finalize and delivered and accepted. These burn to disk images after the first are in the dng format and Lightroom is setup to wright to these files all the LR instruction for the image as well as wright ing to the LR database. One file contains everything so it makes it easier to burn a backup. The final backup will contain the dngs plus are other images produced for output a folder for each type of file and subdivided into size/use email, web small print large print and if needed special print files.a copy of all the paperwork and contracts are also copied to this backup along with any slide show or multimedia file develope. I can restore everything from this backup for a job do not need lightroom to rede liver or contest anything this back usually becaus of size either goes on a old hard drive or media stick..

Feb 04, 2014 at 07:28 AM
glort
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Consolidating my hard drives (5 of them).

I have some old servers I do backups with.
I don't need everything I shot 3 years ago and beyond at my fingertips so when I am done with a job for the foreseeable future, it take it off my working machine and just leave it on the old servers.

These are pretty huge machines running raid and I presently have 4 of the things. If I want something, I go up the back, Fire the machine up, ( they are organised by date and I have a client list of what is on each one) Download it to a thumbdrive and bring it down and load it up.

I get these old fully Functional servers given to me because they are too old to be covered by data recover insurance so are not much good commercially. They will probably last me forever given they only get booted up a couple of times a month usually. Takes longer for some of them to boot than it does to find and copy the files I want. The things sound like a gas turbine engine throttling up with all the fans and drives they have and a couple of them take the full current of the domestic power circuit. 10 years ago, these machines were bought for in excess of $35K each. They were given to me in fully working condition just to get rid of them.

I have a wireless connection on them as they are in my garage so I can boot them up and transfer all the pics wirelessly overnight and then shut them down when they are done.

A friend in IT has sourced me a 20 unit rack and 15 1RU IBM servers full of 320 GB drives to go into it so I may change some of the 160Lb behemoth machines I have now and put everything on a nice neat rack and do it that way. Wiring them all up is going to be a pain though but network wise I already have a 24 and 48 port Gbit router so that's going to be easy at least.

I wouldn't be looking at expensive new technology but rather the relatively obsolete old school stuff that can be had for next to nothing. For what it was designed for, even now what we need it to do doesn't even get the things past idle speed.

Feb 09, 2014 at 11:07 AM
ebiggs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Consolidating my hard drives (5 of them).

How long do you keep clients photos? And thumbs up on the weeding and high standards for keepers.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password