New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

rebop

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Been very quiet the last month on this issue anywhere on the Net that I can find. I've been holding off waiting to see how Canon resolves this.

Any updates? Issues solved or are things still hit and miss with the various lube and wear issues?

~Bob

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:18 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

My 1DX went in for recall in August and had the mirror box replaced. I've put about 50K shots on the shutter since and I really haven't noticed any difference in the accumulation of viewfinder dust/particles. I occasionally see some and use a blower to clean it up.

Can't speak to the sensor as I don't really shoot above f5.6.

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:04 AM
doowop42
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Why are you using the word "excessive" . Is there an allowable amount you would accept?

Dec 01, 2013 at 09:01 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

rebop wrote:
Been very quiet the last month on this issue anywhere on the Net that I can find. I've been holding off waiting to see how Canon resolves this.

Any updates? Issues solved or are things still hit and miss with the various lube and wear issues?

~Bob

I also haven't seen much more info about the problem even over on the DPReview threads where there were 2-3 different threads running in October.

As an update for my camera, I have managed to get most or all of the specs out of my VF. I had originally thought that they were not just on the focusing screen as air blowing didn't fix or even move them. The posters over at DPreview claimed they are actually in the mirror box. However, I decided to wet clean my focusing screen and they were all on the screen. I've also wet cleaned my sensor a number of times to keep it clean.

That all said, it still accumulated new spots on both the focusing screen and the sensor at an alarming rate compared to my other bodies. But now that I'm able to clean it myself, I don't really care anymore. My AF system is working perfectly so I will continue on shooting and cleaning as necessary.

Dec 01, 2013 at 07:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

doowop42 wrote:
Why are you using the word "excessive" . Is there an allowable amount you would accept?

Excessive means a lot or more than normal. With hundreds of tiny dots, I defined that as a lot or more than normal. I would accept something similar to my experience with my 5 other Canon DSLRs (t1i, 7D, 5D2, 5D3 and 1D4).

Dec 01, 2013 at 07:06 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

I don't see any oil splatter. Or get more dust & particles with my 1DX, than I get with any other Canon camera that I own

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:14 AM
bogatyr
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

I do not see any oil splatter or any other signs of abnormal buildup of dust and dirt in my 1D X. I only see better performance than I have ever seen from a DSLR.

Bogatyr

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:14 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

arbitrage wrote:
The one poster on DPreview....

That phrase right there tells me that this isn't a real problem...

And, FWIW, I never saw any oil spots in my 1Dx, or any other Canon body for that matter... so "normal" means no oil spots whatsoever.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Can't help thinking that from the outside, this thread could be construed as a tactic to divert us from the real issue about the 1DX - whether or not the lube job is successful in solving the problem for which it was created. 😏

Db

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

arbitrage wrote:
...Peter, Canon Canada has told you the same as the guy over at DPreview, so that is why I'm not bothering at this point to send it in. I can clean my sensor to spotless perfection with the Visible Dust system so not too worried about that. Just would be nice to have a spot-free view in the VF...

Arbitrage, which Visible Dust product do you use?

Al

Dec 04, 2013 at 12:47 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Doctorbird wrote:
Can't help thinking that from the outside, this thread could be construed as a tactic to divert us from the real issue about the 1DX - whether or not the lube job is successful in solving the problem for which it was created. 😏

Db

Good point.
I didn't see any 1DX anomalous performance before the lube call up, nor after the callup.
Furthermore, the amount of VF dust seems to be stable as of late, i.e., I do not see more of it now than what had accumulated in the first few months of use. I suppose that is a bit of a good news.
It is possible that whatever source of dust was there inside the camera in the beginning, either has exhausted itself, and/or it has been addressed by the lube callup.

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Same here.

Dec 04, 2013 at 03:57 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Methodical wrote:
Arbitrage, which Visible Dust product do you use?

Al

I have the 3 liquids but have only needed to use the two milder ones so far. I have a brush and those green disposable swabs when I need to wet clean.

I would say that I'm not seeing much oil anymore, now just the 12FPS and constant lens and TC changes in the outdoors is leading to increased dust and dust being driven around everywhere because of the fast shutter.

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:45 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Doctorbird wrote:

Db

If Canon Rumors is at all right about the 1DX getting a minor spec bump next year to a slightly higher MP count and maybe dual-pixel, then I think it must be to cover up the real problem. I seriously don't think the 1DX is at all due for an upgrade and we are getting new awesome FW in January. I also don't think CRs is correct with that rumor anyways but if for some wild reason it does come to be next year....I smell major cover up.

I also don't think the "lube" job will fix the problem in the small % of cameras that will actually develop the problem. But Canon must have had a lot of professional users complaining to go public and issue the advisory in the first place. So it would be naive to think the problem doesn't exist.

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:49 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

molson wrote:
That phrase right there tells me that this isn't a real problem...

And, FWIW, I never saw any oil spots in my 1Dx, or any other Canon body for that matter... so "normal" means no oil spots whatsoever.

Not sure if you are joking with the first statement but just look at the poll results. There is an issue. Most people with a 1DX have surely owned a lot of other bodies. I know I have. I also have never had oil on my other bodies and only minimal dust except with the 1D4 that has a lot more dust. Again, I believe this is just from the high FPS nature of the camera. When I first dragged my sensor brush over the 1DX sensor and ended up with a gigantic smear across the entire thing, I knew I wasn't just dealing with dust.

But be glad you are in the 75% or so majority and don't have any oil issues with your 1DX.

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:53 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

jcolwell wrote:
I've had a 1DX since August 2012, and it was sent in for the recall in June 2013.

I have the usual stuff in my finder, not too much, and no more than my 1DIV, or previous 1D-series cameras. I never had the 'oil-on-sensor' problem, before or since the service recall. That's not to say that I've never wet-cleaned it, but there's nothing particularly unusual about it.

If there's anything that bugs you about your 1DX, then send it in. Are you a member of CPS Canada? If not, then this would be a good time to sign up.

+1

Dec 05, 2013 at 03:48 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

arbitrage wrote:
I have the 3 liquids but have only needed to use the two milder ones so far. I have a brush and those green disposable swabs when I need to wet clean.

I would say that I'm not seeing much oil anymore, now just the 12FPS and constant lens and TC changes in the outdoors is leading to increased dust and dust being driven around everywhere because of the fast shutter.

Thanks

Dec 05, 2013 at 06:14 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

arbitrage wrote:
I also don't think the "lube" job will fix the problem in the small % of cameras that will actually develop the problem. But Canon must have had a lot of professional users complaining to go public and issue the advisory in the first place. So it would be naive to think the problem doesn't exist.

The problem may be masked as well. The majority of 1DX users are probably action/sports photographers who don't typically use the smaller apertures where this oil/dust shows up on the sensor.

My 1DX was one that needed the mirror box replaced as they said in testing they could see a slowdown in AF speed but I can not tell the difference myself before and after. My keeper rate is pretty consistent.

Dec 05, 2013 at 08:19 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Like many photographers, before a shoot I synchronize my cameras and check them for dirt on the sensors by shooting the ceiling or sky at about f/20 - even when I know I'll be shooting at faster apertures.

My 1DX showed no AF or residue issues before or after the fix.

Dec 05, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Ok, I tried to clean my sensor, but some spots wont go away, so I think that might be oil from the recall fix.

I'm going to use this, but have a question:

http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=430

Almost all for the spots are on the right side of the image, but isn't the image "flipped"? So I should take extra care on the left side of the sensor?

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.