Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

What is your experience with your 1DX
I notice excessive oil splatter either on sensor or in VF
I don't notice excessive oil splatter, seems normal

1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

dehowie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Ive got two both have been serviced not a problem before or after and about 150000 frames of shooting..

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Mine's perfect.................since I don't have the cahonies to open it yet.

You boys aren't helping.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.2 #3 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

arbitrage wrote:
Where are you blowing into to clean your VFs? My understanding is these spots I'm seeing are somewhere between the focusing screen and the prism and can't be accessed without disassembling the entire VF/Prism area.

The black specs that I see in my viewfinder have all been movable given enough air pressure with a hand blower. I've never had them remain after a serious cleaning. I usually just blow around the mirror and detach the focus screen and blow around there as well.

Edited on Oct 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

lhryshko wrote:
Mine's perfect.................since I don't have the cahonies to open it yet.

You boys aren't helping.

That would be "cojones".

P.S. Go ahead, open it. You don't need cojones; just a battery and a CF card.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM
lhryshko
• • •
p.2 #5 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

jcolwell wrote:
That would be "cojones".

P.S. Go ahead, open it. You don't need cojones; just a battery and a CF card.

I was speaking phonetically.

And OK, but mine may become blood-spattered.........haven't done anything so stupid since buying PetKals 200 1.8.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

lhryshko wrote:
......haven't done anything so stupid since buying PetKals 200 1.8.

Larry, if you didn't buy my backup 200 f/1.8, you would probably still be in the dark as to what a real lens, not a toy, feels like.

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:11 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

P.S. I was typing, correctly.

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:22 AM
lhryshko
• • •
p.2 #8 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

PetKal wrote:
Larry, if you didn't buy my backup 200 f/1.8, you would probably still be in the dark as to what a real lens, not a toy, feels like.

You are correct, Sir. To the maximum extent I can love an inanimate object, that baby gets it all.

Oct 31, 2013 at 03:37 AM
andyyee

p.2 #9 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

I've also commented in the links on the other forums about this issue. I bought mine in September from B&H, and it also was an "8" in the serial number (not sure if that batch has its own problems or not!). The next day, I noticed a couple dark black spots in the upper right corner of the viewfinder. I ended up sending it to Canon for servicing, and they did clean out those spots, under warranty (this went to the Virginia facility). I didn't notice any spots on the sensor, though I haven't been carefully looking for these spots (perhaps out of denial).

After it was serviced, I had the black mark applied to the battery compartment.

I've noticed some new spots since the servicing in the viewfinder, but these seem smaller than before, not as noticeable, and they're in the upper part of the viewfinder.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM
mogud
• • •
p.2 #10 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

After reading through the links and hearing about everybody's experiences, I must have bought an exceptional 1Dx as I see nothing in my VF. I've had the service and nothing since.

If I ever see anything in the VF , I'd probably have to sit down quickly and take a number of deep breaths......in through the nose, out through the mouth....breathe deeply.

Edited on Oct 31, 2013 at 05:49 PM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2013 at 05:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Daniel Smith
• •
p.2 #11 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Comes from holding them too close to Nikons, right?

Oct 31, 2013 at 05:37 PM
andyyee

p.2 #12 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

mogud wrote:
After reading through the links and hearing about everybody's experiences, I must have bought and exceptional 1Dx as I see nothing in my VF. I've had the service and nothing since.

If I ever see anything in the VF , I'd probably have to sit down quickly and take a number of deep breaths......in through the nose, out through the mouth....breathe deeply.

Out of curiosity, which serial number do you have in the sixth position?

Oct 31, 2013 at 05:40 PM
mogud
• • •
p.2 #13 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

andyyee wrote:
Out of curiosity, which serial number do you have in the sixth position?

The serial number of my 1Dx in the sixth position is a 3.

Oct 31, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

jcolwell wrote:
I've had a 1DX since August 2012, and it was sent in for the recall in June 2013.

I have the usual stuff in my finder, not too much, and no more than my 1DIV, or previous 1D-series cameras. I never had the 'oil-on-sensor' problem, before or since the service recall. That's not to say that I've never wet-cleaned it, but there's nothing particularly unusual about it.

If there's anything that bugs you about your 1DX, then send it in. Are you a member of CPS Canada? If not, then this would be a good time to sign up.

^^^^^

I have had mine since they1st shipped with no problems yet. Sent in for recall..still no problems.
Yes to CPS.
Dan

Oct 31, 2013 at 08:59 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Thanks to all the new responders. Running around 25% problem rate according to this pole. Not good Canon. Anyways, the big question in my mind is if the excessive oil is a good thing as it is preventing the wear and small particles that lead to the AF issues OR is the oil and splatter actually the thing leading to the AF issues. So far my camera works amazingly, AF is great, same as my 5D3 so I'm going to continue shooting and wait and see. Considering CPS Canada won't clean my VF anyways, no point sending it in right now.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.2 #16 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Given the number of 1D owners I've talked with I would say the problem rate is closer to 100%. They all routinely clean their cameras. Just the price of shooting in all kinds of conditions.

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:38 PM
AmIgone
• •
p.2 #17 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Well I don't notice anything on the sensor but I do have one black spot in the VF, in the upper right corner. I sent mine in for the service about 1 month after it was announced. I have not tried to blow it out yet. Most of the time they just change location. So I guess if it changes locations or is gone altogether, it was dust. If not, its either oil or something that's really stuck and wont move.

Nov 01, 2013 at 08:12 PM
white

p.2 #18 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

I was noting heavy oil splatter on my sensor before the recall, and was sort of relieved to find out why when the recall was anounced. As with my previous history with CPS, all went smooth and efficiently for me. I have actually been fairly impressed with the service I have had from CPS, and hope this is the norm for most people.

Nov 03, 2013 at 12:25 AM
mogul
• •
p.2 #19 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Doesn't Canon use whale oil for their high end shutters?

Nov 03, 2013 at 12:31 AM
bigfredtn
• •
p.2 #20 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Sent my 1DX in for the recall issue. I noticed the sensor was dirty today after shooting at f22. I do not know if its oil or dirt, but CPS should have made sure the sensor was clean before they sent it back.

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:20 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password