Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

What is your experience with your 1DX
I notice excessive oil splatter either on sensor or in VF
I don't notice excessive oil splatter, seems normal

1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

There is a fair amount of discussion on other forums about the 1DX and excessive black spots showing in the VF and also excessive oil spots on the sensor. I haven't seen much discussion about this on FM so I wanted to try and get a general feeling from 1DX owners if they are seeing this phenomenon also.

I've had my 1DX for about 2 months now and have shot about 4500 frames all in 12FPS burst mode. After my first outing and maybe 500 shots I was already seeing some small black spots show up in the upper right of the VF. After a few 1000 shots there were lots in the upper right and in the lower left. I also then checked my sensor and noticed a lot of small spots on it. I tried a dry clean with Arctic Butterfly and that smeared oil across the sensor. Wet swabs from Visible Dust were able to clean the sensor properly but it was oily stuff on it, not dust. After a few more outings, the spots were returning to the sensor (checking with f/22 sky shots). And more and more spots are showing up in the VF.

I will provide 4 links to threads on other forums if anyone is interested in reading about others experiences. What I don't know is if this oil issue has always been around since the first 1DXs or only after the service recall that started to add more lubricant/oil into the system. My 1DX is a "8" in the serial number so past the recall batch. I haven't noticed any AF problems but the worry is that these black spots are from the recall issue that supposedly was small particles being spread within the internals and possibly affecting AF.

In posting this topic, I really just want to find out if most 1DX owners notice quite a lot of spots or if this is an isolated issue. From the other threads I understand that the spots in the VF are in the prism area and not able to be cleaned except by a disassembly by Canon. One poster on the DPR thread was denied service of this area under warranty by Canon Canada as they claim it isn't a problem and doesn't affect pictures (which is true).

Would love to hear from everyone and their experiences so I can decide if I should send mine in or contact Canon.

Thanks

Other threads:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8750.0
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=17619.0
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3553325
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3540151

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

I've had a 1DX since August 2012, and it was sent in for the recall in June 2013.

I have the usual stuff in my finder, not too much, and no more than my 1DIV, or previous 1D-series cameras. I never had the 'oil-on-sensor' problem, before or since the service recall. That's not to say that I've never wet-cleaned it, but there's nothing particularly unusual about it.

If there's anything that bugs you about your 1DX, then send it in. Are you a member of CPS Canada? If not, then this would be a good time to sign up.

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:48 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Thanks Jim for your data point.

My 1DX is working fine, just looks like a tonne of crap is splattered across my VF view every time I lift the camera to my eye. I also notice a fair amount of VF crud on my 1D4 so I know that likely 1 series have an issue of driving stuff into this area.

I will be contacting CPS at some point before the warranty expires. And yes, owning a 1DX and 600II, I'm definitely a Canada CPS member!! Always nice to save $1000s while spending $100.

Oct 30, 2013 at 03:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

arbitrage wrote:
... Always nice to save $1000s while spending $100.

Oct 30, 2013 at 03:05 PM
mt-m
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Never saw this in any any of my 1-series bodies - 1D, 1D MkIIn, 1Ds MKII and now 1Dx.

The viewfinders have been clean, save for an occasional dust particle. No oil splatter at all.

Oct 30, 2013 at 08:51 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #6 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

I've had my 1DX for about a year now and am over 100K for shutter count. I've probably used a blower on the viewfinder area 4-5 times to clean up particles. Mostly due to heavy dust at horse shows when the outdoor rings are really dry.

I can't say that I've ever noticed oil splatter on the sensor as I almost never shoot above F5.6. I did send my camera into Canon for the recall and they did replace the mirror box saying the AF was slower then normal. Nothing that I ever noticed though. I shoot mostly sports and equestrian and so I have a certain amount of hit or miss anyways.

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:13 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Prior to sending in my 1D-X for the service I did verify the sensor was clear from any debris. It came back, I took one shot at f/18 and poof, a large number of black blobs all over the sensor. After blowing off several times, they still remained. Called Canon and they said send it back in. I did with specific instructions to run a series of high speed bursts AFTER they cleaned it the second time and then verify the sensor was clean. The body returns, I take one shot at f/18. The shot still shows blobs, not as many but they are obvious. BTW the service was through their NewportNews facility. I blow out the sensor and a few more blobs are removed but not all. Finally went the wet swab path via Visible Dust. It got enough cleaned off that at f/4 nothing shows (I shoot sports almost exclusively). At that point I stopped even though the sensor is not void of contaminants.

Canon obviously has poor servicing procedures and its quality assurance is lacking to say the least. So much for professionalism in supporting customers who purchase a $6,500 piece of equipment. I get better service via my lawn mower repair guy and its on a $300 mower!

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

A few moths ago I asked Canon Canada to clean my 1DX VF under warranty as there were spots on it way in excess to any other camera I had owned.
Well, they wouldn't do it because they said the VF cleanliness was not a warrantied item.

I left it at that because I wasn't in a mood to battle yet another issue with them. Besides, even if they agreed to clean it, their service techs might have made it worse. I have seen that very thing several times with cleaning of the imaging CMOS: they do not seem able to do it right.

That's Canon Canada: Ferrari type product prices and Lada type service and support after sale.

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:58 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

PetKal wrote:
That's Canon Canada: Ferrari type product prices and Lada type service and support after sale.

Alas that attitude plagues many a company. While they are trying to reel you in they can't do enough for you, but once you've signed on the dotted line, sayonara sucker!

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Hi Peter,

Canon Canada service, has (with one exception in 2008) always been good or better than good, for me. I'm not trying to minimize or discount your unsatisfactory experiences. I think this points to inconsistent performance, and that's something that management should handle - continuous improvement is very important, especially when performance is inconsistent, and needs improvement.

Jim

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Thanks everyone who has responded so far. Seems to be that the issue is out there but it is not the norm by any means. To clarify, the spots in the VF can't be cleaned without disassembling the entire prism housing. They are very small spots and really only obvious when shooting against a bright light source as they are very fine. Not like the typical dust/fibres that make their way in and out of the VF on occasion in all cameras. As for the sensor oil, you will also only notice it if you test for it with f/22 or narrower apertures. These spots are also very tiny and therefore don't show up at all at wider apertures. Dust or fibres can often be seen as very diffuse blobs even at f/4 or f/5.6 but these spots are much smaller being oil and not dust or fibres.

Peter, Canon Canada has told you the same as the guy over at DPreview, so that is why I'm not bothering at this point to send it in. I can clean my sensor to spotless perfection with the Visible Dust system so not too worried about that. Just would be nice to have a spot-free view in the VF. Of course, my only real worry is that some of these spots could be the "minute particles" that are referenced in the Service Advisory for the 1DX. If they really are only oil then I can deal with that and likely the splatter will decrease with time. In fact, my first 4 spots that appeared in the VF are the largest and all the newer ones are much smaller so things may be improving.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #12 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

sounds like your Canon went out and had an affair with a D600...should have made it wear a condom

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Not a speck on mine before or after going to Canon Canada, but then you didn't buy mine.

Tony

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Kell wrote:
sounds like your Canon went out and had an affair with a D600...should have made it wear a condom

Yes, exactly, hopefully Canon won't release a 1DX.1 like the D610 that basically rendered the D600's value next to nothing.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Imagemaster wrote:
Not a speck on mine before or after going to Canon Canada, but then you didn't buy mine.

Tony

Probably should have bought yours, or traded you my 1D4 and cash. But the price I got, was better than any used price or at least very similar so I thought new would be better.

The one poster on DPreview is now on his 4th body with the problem, he has one of the first #9 serial numbers and continues to see the issue. I do wonder if it is one of these things that once you see it, you would find it in every 1DX or if it really is this limited to us few unlucky people.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
danski0224
• •
p.1 #16 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Does frame rate influence this problem?

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

danski0224 wrote:
Does frame rate influence this problem?

I don't think anyone really knows. But I would guess that the oil is getting splattered during the mirror movement so if you shoot a lot at 12FPS you would likely see it earlier than if you use the 1DX at a low FPS.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #18 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

I've had a 10D, 1D2, 1D4, and now a 1DX and I have had to blow out dust from the viewfinder in all of them. I just chalk it up to user maintenance as I've been in some dusty venues. Obviously it depends on how tolerant you are of spots in the viewfinder. They don't affect the photo so I usually don't care but if I get a lot of specs then I'll clean it.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

ggreene wrote:
I've had a 10D, 1D2, 1D4, and now a 1DX and I have had to blow out dust from the viewfinder in all of them. I just chalk it up to user maintenance as I've been in some dusty venues. Obviously it depends on how tolerant you are of spots in the viewfinder. They don't affect the photo so I usually don't care but if I get a lot of specs then I'll clean it.

Where are you blowing into to clean your VFs? My understanding is these spots I'm seeing are somewhere between the focusing screen and the prism and can't be accessed without disassembling the entire VF/Prism area.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · 1DX owners - Excessive oil and spots in VF and on sensor

Once upon a time, long, long ago, I showed the 'dirty' finder of my Pentax LX to the good folks at my local camera repair shop (i.e. Dave; pre-dates Wes). He actually . It was the first time he'd seen a finder with twigs in it.

In my defence, I was shooting in the woods, with a camera that has changeable finders...

For goodness sakes.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password