New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Beauty is skin deep

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beauty is skin deep

A friend of mine sent me this incredible time lapse video emphasizing the power of post processing. What you see these days is not often what you get. I thought it was appropriate as it speaks to a lot of the "magic" we do here. I personally wouldn't consider this offensive but I'll put up the "nudity" warning anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201647584025138&set=vb.144813902274803&type=2&theater

Steve

Oct 30, 2013 at 08:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beauty is skin deep

Finishing, i.e. post processing is part of the process ... and it always requires decisions to be made. How judicious we are about our finishing (and thus the presentation thereof) is highly subjective and debatable.

Sometimes we finish incompletely and leave much on the table, other times we go over the top and produce fantastic (fantasy) creations. In the video, the model is largely a canvas to produce what they wanted to produce. They could have just gone 100% CGI if they really wanted to. What we aspire to produce at creative vs. representative will always be debatable at where the lines get drawn and the context for doing so.

Interesting video as it speaks (imo) to our decision making process ... which for me always roots back to the message that we want to convey to our viewer as to how to proceed with those pp decisions @ representative vs. fantasy and the scales on which they reside.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM
cgilleo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beauty is skin deep

It is so interesting how this has become the norm in our culture. I think videos like this are starting to educate people that no one looks like that without some sort of post processing work.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beauty is skin deep

Reminds me a bit of when I first learned that AA manipulated his images in the darkroom. My response to my instructor was literally "HE CHEATS !!!"

It took me a couple decades before I came to understand the correlation of the processing relative to our delivered message. Yet, I think there remains a normal expectancy that an image is "as shot" somehow wired into our psyche (i.e. assuming that "standard processing" yields such).

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:19 PM
BigAlz1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beauty is skin deep

I can't view it....

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:41 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.