New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Family portrait session

pinball_pw
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Family portrait session

I did a family portrait session for some friends. I would love some constructive feedback.

http://paulwarren.smugmug.com/Portraits/Becky-and-Jason-2013/i-Ks8dGmh/0/XL/IMG_1971-XL.jpg

http://paulwarren.smugmug.com/Portraits/Becky-and-Jason-2013/i-rG2wNBr/0/XL/IMG_2003-XL.jpg

http://paulwarren.smugmug.com/Portraits/Becky-and-Jason-2013/i-5FgCRg4/0/XL/IMG_2013-XL.jpg

http://paulwarren.smugmug.com/Portraits/Becky-and-Jason-2013/i-jrw36Ms/0/XL/IMG_1989-XL.jpg

http://paulwarren.smugmug.com/Portraits/Becky-and-Jason-2013/i-JqGCwPW/0/XL/IMG_1996-XL.jpg

Cheers - Paul

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:00 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Family portrait session

You have the technical aspects down pretty well. I would change out the brown background however.

I like the expressions in image #2.

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:52 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Family portrait session

Thank you for your feedback. I have a simple trick to get expressions like #2 that works with couples pretty well.

Just curious, what would you recommend for a background? I currently have 4 large ones, the mottled brown above, a mottled grey, a velvet black, and a white one. I normally use either the grey or brown one.

Would you switch out the brown due to the lack of separation between the hair and the background? I can solve that as well with a hair or rim light. I kind of like the warmer tones of this over the grey one. Very curious to hear your opinions. - Paul

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM
gregfixit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Family portrait session

I have a few backgrounds as well. (Similar to what you describe.) I ended up ordering some seamless paper.
Nice lighting and a good set.
Greg

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Family portrait session

Why are they all landscape?

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Family portrait session

I like to shoot portraits in landscape. I do have some in portrait as well. I just happened to pick the landscape ones to show. Interesting observation though.

Thank you both

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Family portrait session

The single most common problem with casual portraits is slumping posture. Two quick solutions.

1. Place a hand at the small of the back and press along with a suggest to straighten the back.

2. Sometimes it's better to gently grasp the head, finger tips under the chin/jaw, thumbs on either side of the skull, and lightly pull up. With cooperation this greatly improves posture and the resulting portraits.

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:53 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Family portrait session

Thank you Karen for the tips. Do you know any good resources for posing techniques? I tend to rely a lot on interactions to generate smiles, etc. I am not great at posing.

Oct 30, 2013 at 04:08 PM
galactic.gecko

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Family portrait session

Hello! I feel like there is too much head room in 1, 2, and 5. Also wrinkles are visible in your background. I like the clarity and the smiles.

Oct 30, 2013 at 04:12 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Family portrait session

First suggestion: Study poses in old portraits that you like. Notice how the body is posed. How are the shoulders turned/one dropped? Notice the best portraits rarely have straight subjects. Examine paintings as well as photographs. Good portrait photographers evaluate the shape of the face, it's symmetry or lack of symmetry, it's features such as eyes, nose, forehead, chin, cheekbones, and lips, for example. How can the subject be posed to hide or reduce unappealing features, emphasize good features, and make the face look more symmetrical? How can you make a face look more engaging? Do you want it to be soft and gentle or strong and bold. Posing sets a mood as much as lighting.

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:48 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Family portrait session

Good thoughts both. Thank you

Oct 31, 2013 at 06:08 AM
cgilleo

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Family portrait session

I agree that the backdrop is a little distracting. The lighting is great, but the backdrop takes away from it. Posing just takes practice. The second photo would be spot on if he was looking toward the camera. I always try not to read to much into posing. Make men look masculine and women look feminine. Always looking for asymmetry. I also rarely shoot a woman straight on as it makes them look to broad. Good work.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:06 PM
BigAlz1
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Family portrait session

They all feel tight, you have cut off arms, elbow, and hands.
Open the frame up, get all the way down to the waist. And shoot more in portrait instead of landscape if need be.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Troyryan

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Family portrait session

I really like the photos, definitely great technical skills nailed, I def need to work on that

Apr 23, 2014 at 09:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.