Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Lightroom: same image, multiple formats synchronized? Plu...

Karel Geertsem

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom: same image, multiple formats synchronized? Plus extra editor...

Hello all,

I wonder if it is possible to let Lightroom handle multiple formats of the same image.

What and why?
I have 2 Fuji's, the X100 and the X-E1. I really like the in-camera JPEG's. Most of the time they are sufficient, maybe with some minor tweaks in Lightroom (and/or NIK).

Here, I want to use Lightroom as a limited JPEG image editor, but mostly as a DAM (sorting, organizing, renaming, adding keywords etc.).

BUT: i want to simultaneously import the RAW files. And when I sort out the files, I want to be able to simultaneously remove JPEG's AND the corresponding RAW. Same for renaming the files. Keywords only for the JPEG's would be sufficient. The RAW's are just there for the additional processing room.

And finally, however capable Lightroom may be, it is below standard for processing X-trans files. Iridient is much better, Capture One also does quite well and maybe Aperture too. I would like to process an X-trans RAW file that is in the Lightroom catalog andthen finalize it in Lightroom.

Any ideas on how to make this work?
Thanks,
Karel

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:35 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom: same image, multiple formats synchronized? Plus extra editor...

Sorry, this doesn't make a lot of sense

Karel Geertsem wrote:
I wonder if it is possible to let Lightroom handle multiple formats of the same image.

Here, I want to use Lightroom as a limited JPEG image editor, but mostly as a DAM (sorting, organizing, renaming, adding keywords etc.).

BUT: i want to simultaneously import the RAW files.

Karel Geertsem wrote:
And when I sort out the files, I want to be able to simultaneously remove JPEG's AND the corresponding RAW. Same for renaming the files. ...

If you remove jpegs and raws, what files would you have remaining?

Brian A

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:37 PM
Karel Geertsem

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom: same image, multiple formats synchronized? Plus extra editor...

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Another try:

I shoot JPEG and RAW simultanious. I want to import both. Then i want to weed out the best shots, starting from the JPEGs, maybe with some little tweaks. I want to remove the files that didn't make ik trough the first selection: JPEGs and their RAW counterpart at the same time. This will leave me with the best pictures, in pairs of RAW and JPEG.
From there, I might further tweak either JPEG -minor adjustments- or RAW - preferrably in aonother editor like Iridient- and finish processing in Lightroom.

Hope this clarifies a bit more. thank you for reading.

Oct 30, 2013 at 07:54 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom: same image, multiple formats synchronized? Plus extra editor...

I shoot raw only so there may be better ways, but …

You can set Lr so that it imports both the raw and the jpeg, and you only see the raw. (I don’t know if you can do the same and see the jpeg instead of the raw.) This is set in Edit > Preferences > General > then uncheck > ‘Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos’. If you then delete one, they both are deleted.

You can have them both showing by having the check box mentioned above checked, then after import you can stack the files. The JPEG will then be on top. If you select and image and try to delete it, it will only delete the top image.

You could always just view every other image, and select them both if you want to delete both the JPEG and raw.

You can set up one or more external editors. I have Photoshop and Canon’s DPP setup as external editors. Right click on an image and choose Edit In (whatever program), But it will convert the image to a PSD, TIFF, or JPEG (your choice). So you will now have three files, the original jpg, raw, and converted file.

Brian A

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom: same image, multiple formats synchronized? Plus extra editor...

Brian's solution will work but only for newly imported raw+jpg images. Any old imports will stay as just the raw and to get around that you will have to re-import them.

There is no direct way to do what you want to in Lr but there are clumsy workarounds.
You could sort or filter images on file type (as a metadata filter) and just look at the ones that you want to (say jpgs) and pick (flag) those you don't like. Then sort by file name or capture time and manually pick the twins of the files that have already been picked. Then sort or filter by pick and delete the picked files.

Alternatively just scrap the jpgs and apply the equivalent settings to the raws in bulk and then select which raw to keep or delete. In general this approach is safer because you might have in-camera settings that enhance your LCD screen view in some way, or enhance the histogram in some way, but actually make the image look crappy. Only viewing the raw files with fresh settings will reveal what they should look like.

- Alan

Nov 06, 2013 at 08:52 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password