Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       9       end

My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Tom_W wrote:
...the fact that it was stolen, retouched to hide the theft, and then misnamed is pretty devious and underhanded.

Or plain incompetent. Incompetence of this sort is rife.

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:46 PM
jytou

p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

John_T wrote:
Very impressive work there, jytou. Con wrote me:

"The Malaysia birders who are really very concerned about this have identified someone else’s photo (Peacock Pheasant) as the likely source of theft. I am glad the Malaysia birders are standing up for this, credit to them."

Again, very impressive and lets it be known that Birders and Photographers without Borders is a force to be reckoned with! Thank you!

I did had some other birders helping me get the sources of some other photos, both peacock pheasants were actually found by my sister, but I am the one who had alerted Con Foley on the first place. And there were also 2 other Malaysian birders that were confirmed victims in this case. Unlike some extremist, we are nature photographers as well and I am sure we will be equally pissed off if anyone regardless of nationality tries to steal our work, which to us is morally very wrong. Another deadly error on the miss ID is also part of the factor of our fury. Generally local NGO's on nature are very supportive of the victimized photographers in this scandal and we really hoped that the Malaysian Pos agency really learn their mistakes and we hope that justice is served.

Good luck.

Nov 03, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Mike1.6 wrote:
Great illustration of how easy it is to do this Brian. The digital age comes with it's own set of problems for artistic and intellectual property owners doesn't it?

+1

and good luck Romy

Nov 03, 2013 at 06:28 PM
Liquidstone
• • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

jytou wrote:
I did had some other birders helping me get the sources of some other photos, both peacock pheasants were actually found by my sister, but I am the one who had alerted Con Foley on the first place. And there were also 2 other Malaysian birders that were confirmed victims in this case. Unlike some extremist, we are nature photographers as well and I am sure we will be equally pissed off if anyone regardless of nationality tries to steal our work, which to us is morally very wrong. Another deadly error on the miss ID is also part of
...Show more

jytou, a poster (Eddaweaver) at the DPR thread has some interesting info:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52439818

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52452815

Nov 03, 2013 at 09:50 PM
outlawyer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

To clarify, Eric Zoolander was programmed by Will Ferrell's character to "Kill The Malaysian Prime Minister!!!" when "Relax" was played. A poor joke, sorry.

Nov 03, 2013 at 10:19 PM
jytou

p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Liquidstone wrote:
jytou, a poster (Eddaweaver) at the DPR thread has some interesting info:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52439818

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52452815

Thanks and wow, there were also errors in flowers and insects. This is bad...

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:36 AM
Liquidstone
• • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Design firm breaks silence over 'stolen' stamp photos

The stamp collection that potentially could land Pos Malaysia, Tourism Malaysia and a design firm in hot water is only a draft version.

Yes, you read that right.

We received a statement late Monday night from Media Eye Sdn Bhd confirming that the stamps for the Visit Malaysia Year 2014 campaign designed by them were submitted as drafts to the two government agencies.

Read more from Yahoo News

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:27 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

That makes it all ok then?
I though these were going on sale very shortly?

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

All this commotion over a prototype What do they think they are, Americans.

That was some fancy Malaysian foot work.

Edited on Nov 05, 2013 at 08:46 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:35 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Just wondering out loud - if I had taken an image of the same bird a day or two later, would I be sued too?

What if I had taken my image first?

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wuxiekeji
• •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Having lived in Malaysia, you probably have about zero chance of getting the legal system help you in this case. Worth a shot but more likely you won't get a response from anyone at the postal system. Copyrights and patents aren't usually enforced in Asia, for the most part.

You would have a better chance of exposing this case via social media. You may also want to contact the various wildlife associations in Malaysia letting them know of this misidentified bird and see if they can do something to expose the case and stolen image through the media, since it is in their interest to educate the public about Malaysian wildlife. If you can succeed in getting the media to help you, the embarrassment of media coverage will serve as the punishment for stealing images.

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Did they at least thank you for pointing out the flaws with their draft? Or, did they already know that it was wrong?

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:59 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Glenn NK wrote:
Just wondering out loud - if I had taken an image of the same bird a day or two later, would I be sued too?

What if I had taken my image first?

He doesn't own a copyright of the bird...he owns a copyright of the image, and this is the exact same image that has been used and manipulated into a different background. Not a similar pose of the same bird...the same image. Check out the video showing the overlay and you will see they line up exactly.

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:07 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Years ago, I was having lunch with a very well off friend of mine. I was going on and on about how I had gotten ripped off by some people I had naively trusted.

My friend said "John, just stop. One of these days you are going to grow up and learn that there are only two kinds of people in the world... the caught and the uncaught."

I asked him what he did when he caught somebody, to which he answered, "Make 'em wish they had never heard of me."

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:10 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

wuxiekeji wrote:
...likely you won't get a response from anyone at the postal system. ...You would have a better chance of exposing this case via social media.

You haven't read all the posts in this thread, have you?

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Liquidstone wrote:
We received a statement late Monday night from Media Eye Sdn Bhd confirming that the stamps for the Visit Malaysia Year 2014 campaign designed by them were submitted as drafts to the two government agencies.

That's the typically S.E. Asian thing to do when caught out - make up some clumsy BS.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:20 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

...they are burning their rep with stamp collectors, photographers, wildlife enthusiasts, professionals and amateurs in various fields, etc. around the world, all of which will come home to roost sooner or later.

I'll be flipping through all my contacts to be sure they get a heads-up.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:38 PM
jytou

p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

wuxiekeji wrote:
Having lived in Malaysia, you probably have about zero chance of getting the legal system help you in this case. Worth a shot but more likely you won't get a response from anyone at the postal system. Copyrights and patents aren't usually enforced in Asia, for the most part.

You would have a better chance of exposing this case via social media. You may also want to contact the various wildlife associations in Malaysia letting them know of this misidentified bird and see if they can do something to expose the case and stolen image through the media, since it is
...Show more

Sadly I had to agree with you, law enforcement in Malaysia is considerably weak and it is indeed difficult to win a case as such especially when you are suing the governmental-linked agencies, but no matter how we can't let such a shameful set of stamp get out to the market which can be very damaging. I remember learning about wildlife of Malaysia through stamps when I was younger, this will damage the knowledge about wildlife of the younger generations or those that were not experts in nature.

And yes, we had made use of social media to broadcast the news as much as we could, bombarded the Pos Malaysia FB site so they had to take down the site. We had also managed to get publicity cover in some local news, such as Malay Mail, Nanyang, Malaysiakini and etc but of course we had known earlier that it may be challenging to get a very scary big headline in most of these newspapers that are mostly owned by governmental-linked agencies or bodies anyway, but Malay Mail did make a reasonably bigger news on Monday with the title: "Entire VMY stamp collection dubious" as their major headline but no online version is seen so far. A similar article was sent to the Nanyang's reporter but a much softer news was published instead.

But there is no reason for us to give up as long as the stamp were not out yet.

Nov 06, 2013 at 03:12 AM
Dark Slider
• • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

RobDickinson wrote:
That makes it all ok then?
I though these were going on sale very shortly?

There's going to be a slight delay due to unforeseen circumstances at the printer.

Nov 06, 2013 at 04:20 AM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian Stamp?

Jman13 wrote:
He doesn't own a copyright of the bird...he owns a copyright of the image, and this is the exact same image that has been used and manipulated into a different background. Not a similar pose of the same bird...the same image. Check out the video showing the overlay and you will see they line up exactly.

I wasn't implying that he copyrighted the bird - I was suggesting that it could be argued (in a court) that someone else happened to capture an image of the same bird as it was perched.

When perched, they pretty well look the same each time - vs when they are flying.

Getting right down to it, I'm suspicious too, but try to prove that it was copied.

As they say, "it's a dead horse".

Nov 06, 2013 at 04:35 AM
       8       9       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

8       9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password