Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Miss Jones

dantewaters
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Miss Jones

Did this shoot recently and got only a few good samples and I posted this one online but to me I could have eliminated the key light from her glasses please share your thoughts:

Oct 30, 2013 at 05:30 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Miss Jones

My first reaction is a serious lighting issue, unless there's some reason you wanted a strong orange cast. The upper outer corner of the spectacle lens shows an orange block. Perhaps something large and orange cause such a color skew.

First q & d color adjustment:

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:17 AM
dantewaters
• •
p.1 #3 · Miss Jones

Thanks after posting here I realized that too...

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:28 AM
Almass
• •
p.1 #4 · Miss Jones

Ah, the eternal dark skin colors.

Your M and Y are screaming, specially Y.

Sure, the lighting could be improved and get the lightbox out of the frames.
I would retouch the hair on the forehead, loose hair at the back, chipped nail, a bit of S&P....

A CC would look like this.

N.B. This was done on a laptop and should be on a calibrated screen, but here it is:

Edited on Oct 30, 2013 at 06:46 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2013 at 08:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dantewaters
• •
p.1 #5 · Miss Jones

Almass I like your work I found the saturation was too heavy thank you. Also what does S&P mean?

Oct 30, 2013 at 04:41 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Miss Jones

The reflection in her glasses is obvious, but at least it isn't covering her iris/pupil. The color balance is certainly noted as others have mentioned. Took a stab at it with some color tweaks and corresponding desat.

The blacks (hair/blouse) look pretty blocked up. I tried to use some gamma adjustment to bring them up a bit, but not really any diff working off the posted jpg. Might be diff @ working from original sooc/raw (i.e. @ too much gamma/multiply/levels/sat applied @ jpg).

Not sure if background is neutral gray or not, but as an assumption, I tweaked it toward neutral for the mids after looking at the adjusting toward the assumed black of her glasses/pupil and the whites of her nail tips for neutral clues.

Edited on Oct 30, 2013 at 08:26 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Almass
• •
p.1 #7 · Miss Jones

dantewaters wrote:
Almass I like your work I found the saturation was too heavy thank you. Also what does S&P mean?

Thank you.

Please read your Y (100%) is too high and not your C as wrongly mentioned in my earlier post (now corrected).
The correct balance for such skin is not to reduce too much the saturation as the colored skin person looses it's ethnicity color and ends up with a caucasian colored skin without the corresponding facial features.
Colored skin is much more difficult to CC than caucasian skin.
Usually we chart skin to 5 or 7 different types which are the "acceptable" color rendition and not necesarilly the "real" color rendition.

S&P is an abbreviation for Salt & Pepper. Similar to cooking. It means other corrections too many and too little to mention and made to the taste of the cook/retoucher.

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:46 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password