Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Who gets depressed/frustrated?

GFountain
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Your in BC? Yea, try southern Ontario. No sympathy here.

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:31 AM
HawaiianOnline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

As the saying goes, "the grass is always greener"...

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:42 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.2 #3 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

I think it is okay to get a little jealous of the 1% every once in a while. I am lucky to live in a great area for landscape photography where I am frequently in awe of the place.

But... last week I met another photographer here who had just returned from photographing in Russia and was on her way to the Galapagos. Yesterday I met a photographer who had just returned from Bhutan and was planning his next trip Brazil. I felt green with envy which I think is pretty normal. But make the most of what you have, improve your skills, and take little trips that don't cost a fortune and enjoy the journey. Envy is mostly a waste of time.

Cheers Brian

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:11 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

MikeW wrote:
I was sitting here looking through someone's portfolio (not on FM) & was feeling depressed & frustrated that they had been to all these lovely places that I just cannot foresee myself getting to anytime soon as much as I want to.

How does everyone handle seeing images of places they'd like to go to knowing they could do just as good of a job but not having the opportunity? I need to win lotto

Good things are expensive. About once a week or more I will get an email or PM from someone saying they are envious of my lifestyle. I love my life, but when they say this, they have NO IDEA of the price I have had to pay! When you understand the price people pay to be able to do what they do, it is a different perspective altogether. I have no kids, no house on the hill, now no wife (not related to photography) and not nearly the "security" many people should have at my age (46). But what I do have is a crazy busy lifestyle of working incessantly, but having unusual freedom to go to places many dream of. So, what I have learned is that there are plusses and minuses to everything in life and we need to decide what we are going to do, or what we can do, and then have gratitude.

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:41 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

me. i love autumn/fall but i dont have the amazing rivers and canyons around me and it literally makes me feel disgusting for letting this fleeting season go by and not capturing these amazing locales

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:45 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

MikeW wrote:
I was sitting here looking through someone's portfolio (not on FM) & was feeling depressed & frustrated that they had been to all these lovely places that I just cannot foresee myself getting to anytime soon as much as I want to.

How does everyone handle seeing images of places they'd like to go to knowing they could do just as good of a job but not having the opportunity? I need to win lotto

I have found that you can make a beautiful image no matter where you are. When you can't travel just head out and see what is out there look around and make images.

If you can't make a beautiful wide angle grand landscape do not get frustrated, instead look for other compositions like macro, close-ups, telephoto panoramas, tele shots etc. The possibilities are endless. Nature is everywhere even in cities.

Oct 31, 2013 at 03:10 AM
IndyFab
• • •
p.2 #7 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Face death, and every day you wake up is a great experience, no matter where you live...

Oct 31, 2013 at 05:15 AM
bcguy
• •
p.2 #8 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

I understand how you feel, but I'm from BC and currently living in Alberta. Every fibre of my being wants to return to my home province. You're lucky being where you are!

On the other hand, Alberta has some great scenery too. I could certainly do worse. I do most of my shooting in Fish Creek Provincial Park, which is literally next to my home. It's the largest 'city park' in North America. It's relatively wild too. I couldn't pick a better place to live, except it's not BC, my home. You're lucky, but I suppose, so am I.

Oct 31, 2013 at 05:49 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.2 #9 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Mark Metternich wrote:
Good things are expensive. About once a week or more I will get an email or PM from someone saying they are envious of my lifestyle. I love my life, but when they say this, they have NO IDEA of the price I have had to pay! When you understand the price people pay to be able to do what they do, it is a different perspective altogether. I have no kids, no house on the hill, now no wife (not related to photography) and not nearly the "security" many people should have at my age (46). But what
...Show more

Mark, I think you hit the nail on the head there. People don't have any idea (me neither) the life of serious landscape photographers have. There's got to be sacrifices and gains to everything and I think that people that don't know (like me) romanticize about it like we can have our cake and eat it too.

Jason

Oct 31, 2013 at 07:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

I've made my bed and enjoy sleepin' in it. Beauty and ops are all around us, be thankful.
Shoot often those things that make you smile. I only get depressed, when I spill my beer.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Where there are photons there are photo ops. Not getting a shot anywhere and at anytime is merely a failure of imagination.

Getting a great shot has nothing to do with being at an iconic location. In fact when you place your tripod in someone else's tripid holes, the best you can do is duplicate what someone else has already shot. And chances are since you didn't get there at sunrise, or there were no clouds, or whatever, it won't be nearly as good.

The best are when you put a piece of yourself into the image.

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:10 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #12 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

We all have to make choices as to what is most important to us and what we REALLY want out of life. I am jealous of many people who are able to shoot as much as they do and go to the places they go to, but in reality I wouldn't give up my wife/kids/house for all of the shooting in the world. That's a choice I made, and sometimes when I start to get jealous I have to remind myself of it. Luckily it's not so black and white and my wonderful wife is very supportive of my photo/nature addiction.

Nov 01, 2013 at 05:08 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.2 #13 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

I would like to say thanks to the poster and to all the commenters, I have learned a lot. I hang out mostly in the Alt thread, what amazing posts there are! I post some and do not get a lot of likes BUT i have been shooting for 6 years and get a huge kick out of it even knowing I will never equal many of the photographers on the forum, I mean to say I just like to shoot and am not too worried that I am not as good as some or that I will never find a cure for cancer. joanvhall

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:59 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

There are no eagles in my area. Hwever, I do not care, because there are other kinds of pijuns which I can shoot. I keep trying because I am seldom happy with what I've got today.
I hope that I can do it better tomorrow.
Photography of ordinary things is the hardest one of all, and the tallest challenge.......good photographers can make "something" out of "nothing" because they have a creative vision. They also tend to be excellent craftsmen(women). One doesn't have to go shooting to Borneo in order to develop his/her photography skill and craft, right ?

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:14 AM
halie
• • •
p.2 #15 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

I have to travel all the time for work, even to some "bucket list" (I cringe at that phrase) places. I would prefer to stay home. Just look at what you already have from someone else's perspective, you may be luckier than you realize.

Nov 03, 2013 at 01:07 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

gdanmitchell wrote:
This isn't easy, but rather than lament the places you cannot go (though we all do this at least a little bit) think about how you can shoot the places you can go.

A few years ago, I did probably 50% or more of my photography in a couple of local parks that are perhaps 20 minutes from where I live. At first I didn't think there was anything special there, but as I kept going back at all times of day, in all conditions, and in every season I began to discover that there was a lot to shoot
...Show more

Well spoken!
Dan

Nov 03, 2013 at 02:14 PM
PeteT
• •
p.2 #17 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

What's wrong with Long Island? We may not have land but we have Water... And we're a short trip from NYC, which sometimes feels like the center of the universe!

Last night I shot a Billy Joel tribute band... And with that I say follow Billy's lead and be in a New York State of Mind.

Some folks like to get away
Take a holiday from the neighborhood
Hop a flight to Miami Beach
Or to Hollywood
But I'm taking a Greyhound
On the Hudson River Line
I'm in a New York state of mind

Camperjim wrote:
Sorry, you live in BC...a spectacularly beautiful area. You get no sympathy from me. I have been stuck in the suburbs of Long Island for over a year. I all but quit taking landscapes so I have nothing to post here. I guess it does not matter since my landscapes were not well received here anyway.

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:52 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password