Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Who gets depressed/frustrated?

MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

I was sitting here looking through someone's portfolio (not on FM) & was feeling depressed & frustrated that they had been to all these lovely places that I just cannot foresee myself getting to anytime soon as much as I want to.

How does everyone handle seeing images of places they'd like to go to knowing they could do just as good of a job but not having the opportunity? I need to win lotto

Oct 30, 2013 at 04:31 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Lotto won't help you. You need to post this in the Form & Misc, not here.

Oct 30, 2013 at 04:38 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

This isn't easy, but rather than lament the places you cannot go (though we all do this at least a little bit) think about how you can shoot the places you can go.

A few years ago, I did probably 50% or more of my photography in a couple of local parks that are perhaps 20 minutes from where I live. At first I didn't think there was anything special there, but as I kept going back at all times of day, in all conditions, and in every season I began to discover that there was a lot to shoot there. You might see if you can find such a place and then commit to a long project that focuses on it. Be prepared for difficult days and setbacks, but eventually you may well find that something very close by has far more to offer than you might have thought.

Also, try other kinds of photography. If you dream of far off mountain or desert landscapes, keep dreaming about those - but perhaps shoot street photography or portraits of friends and acquaintances. I'm mostly a landscape photographer... but just today I spent a bit of time doing street photography. Yes, in San Francisco. But not in the famous and iconic locations. Believe it or not, I sometimes walk out of my front door - and it is in a much less appealing place than San Francisco - and just shoot while walking.

It is all too easy to let the desire for what you cannot have blind you to what you do have. And it is also possible to wait for the once in a year or lifetime trip to some far off locale, only to get there and panic because you are afraid you'll miss something. Shooting regularly - almost any subject - helps you hone your technique and your ability to see so that when you do get to go, you'll be ready to work more effectively.

Good luck.

Oct 30, 2013 at 04:48 AM
dakel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

The type of landscape photography that I find more rewarding is more about light and weather than about location. I used to feel frustration too, until I learned about how light and weather affect the pictures I take. Then I just started shooting locally. Found a river park. Found a lake. Found some rolling hills. Found some trees. And so on.

Try it out. Wake up before dawn a few days a week and drive to the local park or whatever landscape interests you, and then just start shooting. See what happens.

Oct 30, 2013 at 05:47 AM
HiredGoon
• •
p.1 #5 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

MikeW wrote:
How does everyone handle seeing images of places they'd like to go to knowing they could do just as good of a job but not having the opportunity?

Or conversely, going to these places and knowing that you can't do just as good a job

I lived in Utah for a couple of years, went to all the iconic places and still didn't end up with any images that have the wow factor of so many that I see on this forum. I tried and tried, but my images were good without being great. Unlike the jaw-dropping images from FM members like Ben Egbert and uintaangler, etc that I see posted here regularly.

As a consequence I tend to stay away from the forums for a long time, because as much as I love seeing fantastic landscapes (especially of my former home), it gets too depressing knowing that I was probably there but failed to capture the scene to my satisfaction.

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:36 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

We are retired and travel constantly looking for the perfect image. Believe me, it is far better to have dreamed of being there than failing once you get there. It is not all in being there. It is being there at the right time, conditions & circumstance. Keep dreaming, plan to go somewhere and work toward making that happen. Stay thirsty, my friend... Jim

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #7 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Sorry, you live in BC...a spectacularly beautiful area. You get no sympathy from me. I have been stuck in the suburbs of Long Island for over a year. I all but quit taking landscapes so I have nothing to post here. I guess it does not matter since my landscapes were not well received here anyway.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM
NickHenderson
• •
p.1 #8 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

I could spend a lifetime photographing BC and it still wouldn't be enough.

Take advantage.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM
HiredGoon
• •
p.1 #9 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Camperjim wrote:
I guess it does not matter since my landscapes were not well received here anyway.

I liked 'em.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Well, I have to ask why does everyone think they are artists?
Seriously, back in high school I remember the people that were taking fine art, or drawing, or painting, or music. I was always amazed at freehand sketches, perfect watercolors, and things they could create. Even with proper instruction and practice, very few of us common people rose to the top. The others, they are gifted. To capture what I would even consider a stellar image (whether it was or not is a different story), I might have gotten lucky once or twice a year. Thousands upon thousands of useless images sit on my hard drive now.

Also, I'm convinced people just see differently, different awareness, color, just general sight.

Also, if you want to get serious about something make a decision of work/family/money over just buying a Van, quitting your job and wandering aimlessly around Canada and the US for five years, studying and learning. That's what you do. Not a weekend a year, or less.

No sympathy here either.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #11 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Haha, yeah we have some of the most insane landscapes on earth here man. Then drive south 10 hours and you have even more incredible photography. Itís all about toughing up and making a conscious effort to go shooting every chance we get. Its relatively cheap also compared to flying across the world. Tank of gas, some camping gear/fees, and some dried food. Bam!

And yes....I need to take my own advice more often also!

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

I haven't taken a picture since Justin and my trip to Rainier in early August. However, I really haven't missed out on anything, as the fall colors were a bust and it has allowed me to collect new gear for winter.

I have 3 spots I am going to hit this next year - Iceland, the SW and Canada. I just have to make some sacrifices now to make them happen later

Oct 30, 2013 at 03:33 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #13 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

I'd suggest doing what I did: make a bucket list of places you want to photograph, and then start collecting information about each of these places. What's the best season(s) to photograph there? What are good vantage points? What views are so over-photographed that anything you do will be same-old? Where are the best places to stay? And so on.... I cut-and-paste the info into computer files for each place or region of interest.

Then, if you do get a chance to go to any of these places, you will be well prepared to make the best use of your trip. Meanwhile, you will get the vicarious thrills that comes with the research, or you maybe you will find that these places weren't as hot as you dreamed. It's best to find that out before you spend the travel money.

Meanwhile, practice locally. You live in British Columbia? You mean you live in a mecca for landscape and wildlife photography but you are sad you are not in Patagonia? Unlike most of us, you have the opportunity to take advantage of weather changes, light variations, etc., that make the most dramatic photos of Western Canada and the coast of the Pacific Northwest. As many others here recommended, take advantage of the great, special, enviable, opportunities you have where you are. Appreciate what you have. And it will prep you for elsewhere later.

Edited on Oct 30, 2013 at 05:48 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2013 at 05:45 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

The other "Dan" stole my thoughts on this. (Afterall, he's my doppelganger-- well sort of)

Seriously..

Iconic locations are great and I want to go to them like anyone else.
But if you can't "see" an image locally then the special places will probably just end up a snap shot experience.

I regularly challenge myself with projects around where I live. Sometimes it's just the discipline of getting up at 4am with a plan. Lately I've been trying different media (film) or tighter compositions, or different lighting. It's all enjoyable and a learning experience.
Every few years I go on an expedition of sorts. Several days with simple plans and try something new or different.

Like anyone, I like the idea of producing something of artistic value but its not my do-or-die goal. Its' nice when it happens but enjoying the process, the discovery & learning is far more rewarding.

Sometimes I just like "being there". The crisp air, the colors & light.

Don't become a slave to photography, enjoy it.

Dan

Oct 30, 2013 at 05:45 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #15 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

For me, the iconic destinations tend to be a disappointment. They are often very crowded, everyone trying to get the same shot. For instance, Wawona Overlook at Yosemite. You can put your tripod legs in the same spot Ansel did, but the difference is usually that you are there for a few minutes. Ansel lived in the park, and went to those locations when the weather and environmental conditions were to his liking. I wouldn't be surprised if he made 100 visits to WO before he took his famous shot. He would wait around for the clouds and skies to get just the way he wanted them, and would even camp to do it. We tend to be there for a few minutes and take whatever conditions present themselves.

I do better when I wander in relatively unknown places. For instance, yesterday I managed an image that might be my most favorite one in the several decades I have been photographing, and I don't even know precisely where I was. Just up in the Sierra in Nevada County on some dirt forest service road in a snowstorm.

Most of the iconic locations have been done already, and in many cases masterfully. I'm looking for something different.

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:00 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #16 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Grass is always greener eh?

I lived in vancouver for 20years and I didn't photograph anything because that passion came much later and then i moved to California. Yes, I am home to the sierras and great photo ops here but if I wanted a glacier, well tough luck . Look north my friend, tons and tons of spectacular stuff in BC.

Like all things in life, if you want something bad you have to have a plan to get there. If you want to go to arctic then save up a few years and plan for it. Sure it would be great if everyone can do this full time, but not many are that successful in this field to be able to go where they want. Those that can and we see their work is because their worked their butts off to be where they are now.

No need to be depressed, just enjoy the view here. After all we all can't be astronauts . I know I'm never gonna be a famous photog, but I am satisfied if I can at least check some stuff off the bucket list, photograph them and are able to come out with a few that I am glad to print and hang on my wall.

Jason

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:10 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #17 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Everywhere has great photo opportunities. Sometimes I get really jealous of the folks living in the Pacific Northwest, but Utah is no slouch either.

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:22 PM
camerausername
• •
p.1 #18 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

gdanmitchell wrote:
but just today I spent a bit of time doing street photography.

I like these.

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:26 PM
gordon l
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

I have a pill for that which I commonly prescribe to patients.

I'd prefer you take a more Zen approach, essentially what others are saying: enjoy the time you have exactly where you are.

I have a bucket list too. I know I won't see all these wonderful places, but if I see one or two a year, that's progress. Just this year I finally spent time in Capitol Reef (4 hour drive from here), something I'd been trying to work into my schedule for 10 years.

Gordon

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:42 PM
matthewsaville
• •
p.1 #20 · Who gets depressed/frustrated?

Try not even having time or money AT ALL for landscape photography, even in your own backyard, for multiple years in a row, then we'll talk about being depressed.

So to answer your question; no, as long as I have a chance to visit somewhere local two or three times a year, I am thrilled to be alive. Out of curiosity, mike, do you live in BC Canada as your profile says? If so, you should consider yourself VERY lucky! Your own backyard is more majestic than anything within a 4 hr radius of where I live in Southern California!

=Matt=

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password