Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

3iron
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

Thanks timbop

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:35 AM
Photon
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

EB-1 wrote:
My body has the original firmware from 2012. Is it worth updating at this time?

EBH

Unless you've invested in a bunch of aftermarket batteries that you must keep using, yes, updating the FW is worth it. There have been a series of minor improvements and bug fixes that add up to a better functioning camera, IMO.

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:43 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

I cannot find the function to save all the settings. Is it correct that they will be wiped?

EBH

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:48 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.2 #4 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

5diii does not have the save settings like a 1d camera has. So you will need to go through all the menus and write down how you have the options set. If those are wiped then you can reconfigure back faster. It is always good to have a copy around, especially on vacation when you might have to reset back to factory default.

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:54 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

PV Hiker wrote:
5diii does not have the save settings like a 1d camera has. So you will need to go through all the menus and write down how you have the options set. If those are wiped then you can reconfigure back faster. It is always good to have a copy around, especially on vacation when you might have to reset back to factory default.

That's probably why I never updated it. Such complete stupidity by Canon.

I would always have at least two of the normal Canon bodies, and just copy the settings back and forth if one were wiped.

EBH

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:59 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

Photon wrote:
Unless you've invested in a bunch of aftermarket batteries that you must keep using, yes, updating the FW is worth it. There have been a series of minor improvements and bug fixes that add up to a better functioning camera, IMO.

FW from april 2013 is not minor, I believe they enabled F8 focusing.

Nov 02, 2013 at 03:04 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

EB-1 wrote:
That's probably why I never updated it. Such complete stupidity by Canon.

No need to save - upgrading from 1.2.1 to 1.2.3 did not overwrite any of my settings

Nov 02, 2013 at 03:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Photon
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

Breitling65 wrote:
FW from april 2013 is not minor, I believe they enabled F8 focusing.

True, that and a few other things might be considered major by many users. The flashing red focus points in servo may be annoying to some, but are sometimes a great help, and were undoubtedly about the best that could be done with the new viewfinder hardware (LCD overlay, side illumination, etc.). There are choices in how you configure it.
I've never lost any settings when upgrading Canon FW, but I still agree with EBH that it would be better to have the ability to backup to a card. I always do that with my 1D bodies, just haven't needed to reload in the 6 or 8 years I've bothered to do that.

Nov 02, 2013 at 04:18 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

I'm not sure if it is the firmware or what, but most times the cameras are at Canon they wipe out the settings and update the frimware.

EBH

Nov 02, 2013 at 04:30 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.2 #10 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

EB-1 wrote:
I'm not sure if it is the firmware or what, but most times the cameras are at Canon they wipe out the settings and update the frimware.

EBH

Yup, mine went in for a clean and check, no firmware update but all the settings were reset. Including the file numbering scheme. I've always just numbered continuously so I knew the actuations - they blew that one for me.

Edit: Ha, just saw the Mac Shutter count app in another thread. Guess I'll use that.

Nov 02, 2013 at 04:49 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

Photon wrote:
True, that and a few other things might be considered major by many users. The flashing red focus points in servo may be annoying to some, but are sometimes a great help, and were undoubtedly about the best that could be done with the new viewfinder hardware (LCD overlay, side illumination, etc.). There are choices in how you configure it.
I've never lost any settings when upgrading Canon FW, but I still agree with EBH that it would be better to have the ability to backup to a card. I always do that with my 1D bodies, just haven't needed to
...Show more

Hmm wasn't the flashing just for the 1DX camera? I can't get anything to flash on the 5D3...

Nov 02, 2013 at 04:57 AM
Photon
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

stanj wrote:
Hmm wasn't the flashing just for the 1DX camera? I can't get anything to flash on the 5D3...

Oops, yeah, it's the 1DX that can flash continuously in servo. The 5D3 just does the Cylon look when you change AF points.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:00 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.2 #13 · Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3

5 fixed and 20 more to go...

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:10 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password