New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Flagging in camera for LR5

thursdaylsr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flagging in camera for LR5

So I've either read or overheard or something about being able to flag photos in camera (Nikon D700 specifically) and have it show up in Lightroom so you can quickly find the shots to pull out. Is this real and I've been missing out on it since using LR or am I crazy and hearing voices in my head? Thanks guys.
-Justin

Oct 29, 2013 at 03:19 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flagging in camera for LR5

The only software that would be aware of images flagged in-camera are those based on Nikon's SDK (Lightroom isn't one of them). For Lightroom to be aware of the flagged images, the metadata would have to be contained in an XMP sidecar file which I'm sure your camera can't create.

Some third-party viewers like BreezeBrowser Pro and Photo Mechanic can generate XMP files containing flags, color ratings, picks, etc. that can then be read by Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom. But the flags done in-camera wouldn't be read for the simple reason that the camera (and the manufacturer's raw converter) writes that information directly to the file while Lightroom expects it to be contained in an XMP sidecar file.

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:13 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flagging in camera for LR5

Photo Mechanic and Aperture 3 can both recognize "flagged" images marked in-camera ... in fact both apps can be set to only import flagged images ... This feature comes in very handy when working on a tight deadline and you only choose to work with a small set of images quickly and forego importing entire cards to save some valuable time.

Unfortunately, I don't think Lr has this capability. Like several other useful capabilities, the folks at Adobe don't see the value of adding such a feature ...

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flagging in camera for LR5

It's part of the EXIF as far as I know and any EXIF capable app can read it. I believe LR will allow you to select an EXIF field to sort on if it's not already one of the options. As RAW images may not allow in-camera modification of the embedded metadata you have to shoot JPeg or Jpg+Raw in order to set it or have it read by apps on your PC - at least that's how it works on the GH2.

I'm wondering if what the OP read was actually the new-ish in-camera Rating which allows 0 to 5 stars to be added to the EXIF metadata? I don't think that's in the D700 tho. This is different that the boolean flagged or favorite EXIF field of course.

Oct 29, 2013 at 06:46 PM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flagging in camera for LR5

butchM wrote:
Photo Mechanic and Aperture 3 can both recognize "flagged" images marked in-camera ... in fact both apps can be set to only import flagged images ... This feature comes in very handy when working on a tight deadline and you only choose to work with a small set of images quickly and forego importing entire cards to save some valuable time.

This is probably what I'm thinking of, I'm doing it for that exact reason - deadlines. I downloaded the trial of PM but it was while I was in school and too busy to learn another program. I'll have to see if I can do the trial again since I only opened it once.

Now is it as simple as locking the photo in camera or is there more to it?

Oct 30, 2013 at 07:34 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flagging in camera for LR5

thursdaylsr wrote:
This is probably what I'm thinking of, I'm doing it for that exact reason - deadlines. I downloaded the trial of PM but it was while I was in school and too busy to learn another program. I'll have to see if I can do the trial again since I only opened it once.

Now is it as simple as locking the photo in camera or is there more to it?

Yes, it is that simple ... you can set PM to only import the "flagged" or locked images. Check out Scot Kelby's blog for a typical PM/Lr workflow using this method ... though you can accomplish the same result working with a single $80 app in Aperture 3 vs employing two $150 apps ... though Aperture only works on Apple hardware.

http://scottkelby.com/2012/my-sports-photography-workflow-so-far/

and from Matt Kloskowski

http://lightroomkillertips.com/?p=4610

The big speed increase here is two-fold. One, you can cut down time by only importing a select sub-set of images. Two, PM (and Aperture) can be set to use the camera generated jpeg previews for very speedy rendering to choose selects. Conversely, Lightroom can not recognize your "flags" and insists upon generating it's own previews.

On the second issue, it's not wrong for Lr to render it's own previews, just very time consuming for a task that could be done later or only when the actual RAW processing itself would take place. The first issue could be solved, quite easily, since other apps have had this capability for many years. Lr lacks these two abilities simply because Adobe has chosen not to add or implement them. All this after repeated requests for these features dating back to the very first public beta testing of v1.0.

Oct 30, 2013 at 08:37 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.