Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

My first attempt at outdoors portraits

Anurag
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

A friend kindly offered her time as I fumbled around with my camera. Haven't gone through the whole lot but here are a few. Not sure why they are all shot at 0.3 EV -- must have bumped it accidentally. Thoughts or suggestions on improvement are welcome.

crappyjones123 2013

NIKON D800    135.0 mm f/2.0 lens    135mm    f/5.6    1/160s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

crappyjones123 2013

NIKON D800    135.0 mm f/2.0 lens    135mm    f/5.6    1/500s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

crappyjones123 2013

NIKON D800    135.0 mm f/2.0 lens    135mm    f/8.0    1/40s    125 ISO    +0.3 EV  

crappyjones123 2013

NIKON D800    135.0 mm f/2.0 lens    135mm    f/3.5    1/320s    640 ISO    +0.3 EV  

crappyjones123 2013

NIKON D800    135.0 mm f/2.0 lens    135mm    f/3.5    1/320s    640 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Edited on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2013 at 04:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

The .3 EV isn't too much of a deal breaker as 1/3 stop isn't all that much ... particularly with the advent of our pp capabilities.

Technicals aside, I like the capture of the her expression on the stairs. I kinda wish her shoulder was blocking the lower portion of her face ... but then again, it really doesn't matter when you capture eyes and a smile like that.

The framing by the beach stairs is pleasant and informational.

I've mostly applied some color tweaks (noting how the color keeps changing the deeper you go into the shadows, no single correction is accurate at all areas) and some multiply so have it a bit less washed look.

Edited on Oct 30, 2013 at 02:59 AM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Anurag
• •
p.1 #3 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

Thanks rusty. How did you get the skin to look "normal?" Saturation levels?

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

Assumed (i.e. guessed) that the hat, dress and stair rails were all neutral white (or close to) and adjusted WB to get all four to be as close to neutrally balanced (yin-yang) and then brought the white value down from 255 (which is the value for specular highlights) to around 235-240 range (close to white) via a little multiply / levels.

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #5 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

The 3rd image is nice but I would have rather had her on the left side looking off toward the right. I would see about cloning out the distracting lights on both sides of her.

Oct 29, 2013 at 06:18 PM
silvawispa
• • •
p.1 #6 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

...someone has to say it.

That's a totally gratuitous bum shot.
Nicely composed and with good colours though.

Nice set with a good appreciation of the available light.

Oct 29, 2013 at 06:28 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #7 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

These are really nice. You have a good eye!

I love the mood of the third from the bottom (numbering would make it easier for us to respond). I wish the white lights on either side weren't there. They could be cloned out without much trouble. I wouldn't change the crop.

We could argue that the second from the bottom is a little cool, but I still prefer it to Kent's more technically correct but overcooked version.

Oct 29, 2013 at 07:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Anurag
• •
p.1 #8 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

Rusty, I don't have photoshop but I will try to emulate it in lightroom just to practice. I am in medical school and find it necessary to have a release from all the stress it provides. Photography seemed to be a nice outlet. Lots to learn. I had never really shot portraits in the past so the kind words from people are encouraging. I will keep at it.

Oregon Gal, I realized that the moment I saw the file in lightroom. I am going to look at all the files I like and see what could be done better or what to avoid next time.

Silva, she was extremely insistent that I take that particular shot with her standing that way. I obliged. But thank you

Dmacmillan, thank you as well. I shall try to add numbering. I uploaded the files to the forum so not sure how to do that but I will try editing the descriptions maybe.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

dmacmillan wrote
We could argue that the second from the bottom is a little cool, but I still prefer it to Kent's more technically correct but overcooked version.

Removing casts as I do can have a saturation enhancing effect that isn't uncommon to warrant following it with some desat, but for some reason I neglected to do so this time. Revised image might be a bit more tolerable in the overcooked department.

Edited on Oct 30, 2013 at 03:11 AM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:48 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

crappyjones123 wrote:
Lots to learn. I had never really shot portraits in the past so the kind words from people are encouraging. I will keep at it.

It can be a lifetime of never ending learning to whatever degree you desire to take it from simplistic and social to pragmatic and commercial to physics of light and color theory to physiology of human response to art history to just plain fun.

By all means, keep at it with that great spirit. You've got a lifetime to get there ... wherever 'there' is for you.

Oct 30, 2013 at 03:09 AM
silvawispa
• • •
p.1 #11 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

crappyjones123 wrote:
Silva, she was extremely insistent that I take that particular shot with her standing that way. I obliged. But thank you

Really, there's no need to justify
I'm sure she's pleased with the flattering result too.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #12 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

RustyBug wrote:
Removing casts as I do can have a saturation enhancing effect that isn't uncommon to warrant following it with some desat, but for some reason I neglected to do so this time. Revised image might be a bit more tolerable in the overcooked department.

Yep. Better!

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

Suggestions to improve posing:

1. When photographing an arm from behind, it's wise to flex the arm to avoid elbow wrinkling.

2. Might be better with her face turned slightly more to the camera to include her right eye.

3. A bit less squint would help and slightly sharper on her eyes/lashes.

4. Right foot positioning a little off optimum, especially with left foot cropped.

Oct 30, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Anurag
• •
p.1 #14 · My first attempt at outdoors portraits

I'll keep those in mind when I try again in a few days after the Anatomy exams. Taking photos is so much more fun than medical school

Here are a couple more that I played with while taking breaks.

crappyjones123 2013

NIKON D800    135.0 mm f/2.0 lens    135mm    f/4.0    1/160s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

crappyjones123 2013

NIKON D800    135.0 mm f/2.0 lens    135mm    f/4.0    1/250s    500 ISO    +0.3 EV  

crappyjones123 2013

NIKON D800    135.0 mm f/2.0 lens    135mm    f/4.0    1/250s    500 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Nov 03, 2013 at 12:26 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password